• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

YMcMurtrie v Clydesdale Bank ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6391 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

My name is Yvonne, I've started this thread on the advice of JMio (cheers) to Keep you all posted with my progress.

So far I have nothing to add - I have sent off my first letter quoting the DPA with a cheque for £10 to Clydesdale bank head office at 30 St Vincent Street in Glasgow (G1 2HL for anyone who needs it) Addressed for the attention of "Data Controller"

I sent the letter recorded delivery on Thursday 29th of June 2006. So i'm waiting for their response before I can tot up any charges and so on...However, I've been reading other threads, and wanted to let people know, that I, Like JMio, have had an unexplained charge added to my account on the same month as a failed payment or bounced cheque etc, so I'll be asking for them back too. As far as I'm concearned, the only things I wont be asking to reclaim are arrangement fee's that I have signed and agreed to, I.E when taking a loan, or arranging a overdraft etc.

I've noticed from the other threads that a lot of ground work has been done for me, so I'm hoping that i'll get my statements without fuss,and that will at least allow me to add up the charges I plan to claim to get the ball rolling from there!

I've spoken to a few friends who feel that what Im doing is "too much hassle" So if anyone is reading this with the same opinion, then i'll tell you the same thing I told them. Its your money - if i stole money from your bank account, then you'd want it back, regardless of worrying that mentioning it may ruin our friendship. So if you're worried about them closing your account, open another before writing to them. All the letters are sitting here waiting for you to jot in your own details and stick a stamp on the envelope, you dont have any reason not to, Jesus if someone doesnt have a printer, let me know and I'll print it for you and you can hand write in the personal details!

This is too good an opportunity to pass up, not only from the feel good factor of getting one over on a bank after being shafted for years by them, but because regardless of your financial position (my own is fine now) extra money you didnt expect to ever see again will ALWAYS come in handy, and knowing your rights, and how far someone can push you, will always come in handy too!

So go for it, there is plenty of advice on this page, and plenty of support from everyone else in the same position!

Best of luck, and hopefully I'll have an update for you all soon

Yvonne

October 2006 - Full amount claimed from CB current account.

November 2006 - Letter recieved from CB mastercard saying beat it - all the charges were applied correctly.

That made good reading!! :D

Good luck, we're (me especially as I detest the Clydesdale Bank for forcing me onto a diet of Baked Beans and rice on more than one occasion years ago), right behind you!

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

Well said Yvonne. Go get your money.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Finally!!!

Today the bank finally cashed my £10 DPA cheque. I was starting to get worried about the lack of response from them, because on reading other postings, i've noted other people have heard from the bank after sending a DPA request. Usually the letter's recieved by people have just been to tell them their request is either denied to a specific date, or that their request is cooking.....I heard nothing!

So finally they have cashed my cheque and i'm now waiting patiently for my requested statements. When I manage to add up the amount owed to me in charges, I will at least have something to keep me warm and fuzzy at night when the bank go cold on me.....Nowt like knowing you'll have a bit of extra cash coming to keep a spring in your step....that and knowing it might cause a bit of a fight and embaressment to someone else :-D

So fingers crossed folks that I hear soon....Like I said in my previous posting - I think most of the ground work has been done for me, so I'm hoping my claim is a little more straight forward (Choke)

On a seperate matter, My parachute account is now open and ready to use when I receive my cards - which should be any day now. I'm already impressed with the correspondance the RBS has been sending to keep me informed and so on - not that i'll let that Lull me into a false sense of security when funds start getting low or I ask for a favour....

All the best for those currently waiting...

November 2006 - Letter recieved from CB mastercard saying beat it - all the charges were applied correctly.

Good luck! All going fine so far, keeps us posted!

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

... I detest the Clydesdale Bank for forcing me onto a diet of Baked Beans and rice on more than one occasion years ago...

I sooo know that situation only too well...

MBNA - £1733 refunded.

Egg - £200 owed - sending LBA

Clydesdale Bank - £180 so far. More to come...

Your browser is broken - www.ditchIE6.com

Need Excel? Get Star Office, free with Google Pack!

• 2 weeks later...

Next update and a quick question....

I recieved a letter from the Clysdedale on Saturday (22nd of July) dated 20th of July, stating they will send out my requested statements and that they.....

~"understand they have 40 days after receipt of payment in which to provide you with the information held!~

Now, considering they cashed my cheque ages ago - aswell as recieved my letter ages ago - if I take the 40 days from them getting my letter - then that runs out on the 10th of August, but by the sound of the letter - they are going to take the 40 days from the date my cheque was cashed - So my question is, should I write to the person who wrote the letter (D Neal Stewart, Network support, 20 Waterloo Street, Glasgow G2 6DB for those who need it) with a "thanks very much for your letter, and look forward to hearing from you before 10th of August" - or should I wait and then chase them up if my statements havent arrived by 10th?

I'm probably writing this a little too early - knowing my luck, they'll arrive tomorrow and this post will be a waste of time heheh!

I'd give their Network Support team a ring to chase up their progress, details are in the Clydesdale Bank Contact Details thread (sticky at the top of this section).

The 40 days is from receipt of your request & payment, so if they decided to wait ages to cash your cheque, then well that's their problem isn't it.!?

If they breach the 40 day deadline by so much as a day, report them to the Information Commissioner's Office & your statements will follow soon after!

Next update and a quick question....

I recieved a letter from the Clysdedale on Saturday (22nd of July) dated 20th of July, stating they will send out my requested statements and that they.....

~"understand they have 40 days after receipt of payment in which to provide you with the information held!~

Now, considering they cashed my cheque ages ago - aswell as recieved my letter ages ago - if I take the 40 days from them getting my letter - then that runs out on the 10th of August, but by the sound of the letter - they are going to take the 40 days from the date my cheque was cashed - So my question is, should I write to the person who wrote the letter (D Neal Stewart, Network support, 20 Waterloo Street, Glasgow G2 6DB for those who need it) with a "thanks very much for your letter, and look forward to hearing from you before 10th of August" - or should I wait and then chase them up if my statements havent arrived by 10th?

I'm probably writing this a little too early - knowing my luck, they'll arrive tomorrow and this post will be a waste of time heheh!

I'd wait for them to fail before contacting the information commissioner. Mine came after 18 days anyway. I think Yorkshire Bank is the same as Clydesdale bank in this.

The seem to be getting their act together with regard to this part of the process. It's not in their interest to stall with the DPA as they've been reported a few times now.

Later on of course, they are stalling big time.

Some of the legalese they are coming up with beggars belief.

19/6/06 Data Protection Act letter sent recorded delivery.

27/6/06 Confirmation of receipt from Clydesdale Bank. Awaiting statements.

7/7/06 Statements arrived in the post - all 3 accounts as requested. (This took 18 days in total).

10/07/06 3 accounts - £898.00 excluding interest of £216.61 - Prelim letter posted by recorded delivery.

Well its morning time now, and the statements haven't arrived. I don't think i'll mind so much if they stall at a later stage, because as I said in a previous posting, I'll know how much my charges are - so I can use that to concentrate on when things start taking their time. I never expected this process to be easy, but I'm not the most patient person - I like things to be done "yesterday".

One things for sure, I will never throw away another bank statement or importaint document until I know for sure I will never need it again!

I think i'll leave it to the end of the week to phone and remind them the 40 days started on the date they recieved the letter,and not the day they cashed the cheque. In part, they were right, the 40 days does start the date they recieve payment, but not from the date they cash the cheque - especially as it took them almost 20 days to do that!

Beggining to develop tourettes when people mentions banks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All -

Have been missing in action for a while - but wanted to update you all. My statements have arrived - I'll update the charge list in a minute, but wondered if I could get a bit of advice.

I'm claiming the Clydesdale Credit card - and two current accounts. One account only has £45 worth of charges - the other is near the two grand mark. Just wondered when I write my first "Gimmie my money back" letter - should I write three - or bunch them all together, then split them into £750 claims later?

Thanks in advance,

Yvonne

Hi Yvonne, I asked this a few days ago and was advised to issue the credit card claim seperate from the currrent accounts claim.

As for wring your letter you would be right to lump the two current account sets of charges together then split it up into chunks of £750 if it goes to court.

Good luck

davg

Cheers DavG - I'll do that right away

Best of luck

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Due to trips to hospital etc, I have only just got around to dealing with this claim....

Anyway as previously stated, I have three accounts with Clydesdale - 2 are current accounts, and one credit card (mastercard).

Charges currently are - Credit card = £322.00p (All late fee's)

Current account 1 = £90.00p (unexplained service charges)

Current account 2 = £1819.95p (Mix of returned DD's and service charges)

I decided to start off with the lowest - So I wrote to the bank claiming £90.00p with a break down of statement numbers and dates of charges applied. These charges were "Service" charges, not "returned direct debit" charges, and the only explination I have, is that I had went over my agreed limit (this account has no overdraft facility as I use it for Direct debits only)

When I say I went over my limit, the largest amount I went over by was £2.19p

I sent the letter recorded delivery on 12th of September, and still cant track it via Royal mail today. However, I have recieved a reply from Clydesdale thismorning...

Usual rubbish - very sorry you are having problems, I enclude a lovely little brochure "addressing your complaint" and so on.

I sent the claim letter to my branch manager - but the reply has come from Carol Ferguson customer relations team leader (20 Waterloo street, Glasgow G2 6DB - Phone number 0141 242 4137)

Basically It says that the financial services authority requires her to inform me they have 4 weeks to inform me of the progress of my "complaint" in writing. It then goes on to say "However if the investigation is not complete within two months we will write to you again setting out the action availible to you"

My question is - whats my next step? Basically, from what I read - they are telling me they are stalling for two months, then in two months time they are going to tell me they have investigated it fully, and its all my own fault - I signed up to this when I opened my account, blagh blagh - Call my mystic Meg - but I can see this coming!

So - should I put in my other two claims now if its really going to take two months to even "think" about it - or just deal with one at a time as I origonally planned - thinking start small, then refer to the smaller claim success when making my larger claims....because I really doubt they will allow £90 to go to court?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Yvonne

P.S. on a seperate matter - I phoned royal mail yesterday to find out why I cant track my letter - this was before I recieved my reply, and they said that it obviously still hadnt been delivered, so after 15 working days had passed - I can claim two free books of first class stamps as compensation for "losing" my letter - so I'll wait another few days, and If i still cant track it - might aswell claim my free stamps and use them to send to the bank heheh!

You can put as many claims to the bank as you wish but only ONE small claims at any time, then when its settled put the next small claim in.

Did you use the prelim letter in the library with schedule of bank charges attached, if so wait 14 days then send LBA which is also in the library.

If not then you would be best to do so.

I wrote my own letter - However I did state the charges by date - cost - and type of charge applied, I even gave them the statement number, and wrote that the first charge applied was for being only £6 something overdrawn for about 5 minutes then I made a transfer via my online banking to rectify the error - only for them to slap the charge on and make me overdrawn again for 10 days, and charge me again.......not sure if thats why they have decided to investigate instead....Will write out the LBA now in preparation...

Thanks

Latest update -

Yesterday I recieved a letter from the Clydesdale regarding my smallest claim. Above I have put £90, But its actually £100. These charges are for "service" charges, not returned direct debits (there arent any returned direct debits on this account)

Clydesdale are offering me £50 as a goodwill gesture, Obviously, I am going to ask for the rest - Letter (paraphrased) as follows...

Your complaint has now been fully investigated and I have come to the following conclusions - the service charge has been correctly applied to your account with reference to the terms and conditions of my account etc

As a gesture of goodwill I have today credited your account with £50 (no she hasnt!!!) This being a refund of two of the service charges previously debited from your account.

I have enclose some bumff on our complaints procedure...

If we do not recieve a response from your within 8 weeks of this letter, your complaint is classed as closed.

Basically, what I think has happened is the person dealing with my request phoned me the other day to ask the dates for which I was claiming - even tho I put them in my letter. She told me she could only see as far back as Feb on the system - and thats why I think she has only refunded two charges (two were after Feb, two before) Incidentally - she's the very same person I put in a written complaint about last week because she hadnt done something I had requested her to do - coincidence? hehe

Are there any letters in the list asking for "the other half of my money thanks" Or shall I just write a "thanks but I still want the rest" letter on my own?

Also, I am going to photo copy the statements - highlight the charges, and send them with the letter, also doing the same for my next two claims, so that I dont have to go through this again - Just a tip for anyone at the same stage as me

Any input greatly appreciated

Yvonne

There is a letter in the templates library Yvonne. I wouldn't bother going to the trouble and expense of sending them copies of what they have sent you. If they phone again ask them to write instead unless you have recording equipment, so you have a record of exactly what is said when it comes to claiming in court.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 3 weeks later...

Next update -

the small claim I made is now in the bank. Initially recieved £50 offer as a gesture of goodwill, Rejected that, and stated in my letter that I would only be dealing with the bank from now on via letter after I recieved a phone call from the branch asking a few questions about my claim.

Admitedly I wasnt asked any personal information about my account,But I stated my reason for not wanting to talk to the bank via phone was because I hadnt been asked at any time to verify my identity, I stated this was a breach of security.

In the banks reply (which said they were giving me the full amount as a gesture of goodwill) they said they did not need to verify my information if the clerk speaking to me was familiar enough with my voice to be satisfied of my identity - or if they were not asking personal details of my account.

Although I see their point, the clerk that called me from the bank couldnt possibly know me well enough to confirm she was talking to the account holder, and although no specific details were asked - I.E. account numbers and transactions etc, I share a house with another female - who could have taken that call, also, for those who live with parents or partners of the same sex etc, they may not have disclosed their intention to reclaim bank charges - therefore, the bank yapping to whoever answers the phone is a breach of security - because it could have quite easily opened a can of worms?

Am I just being sensitive because of the recent "banks dont shred our information" expose by watch dog?

Anyway - good news on the small claim win - now onto fight number two for £322.00p from clydesdale mastercard....

Will keep you all posted.

Yvonne

So have you got full settlement (£100?) without the need for a court case? Sounds like good news. Congratulations.

Yup - got the letter telling me I was getting the £100 as a "gesture of goodwill" so checked online banking and it had been put in the day before as two £50 "adjustments"

Credit card claim letter written and ready to post today