Car Insurance cancelled by insurer with no notification, stopped by police

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4946 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi ,thanks for the reply ,i think someone has hyjacked my user name this one is not for me but i red about this lady and her son .hope you get time and read about mine mate , its about a copany called HASTINGS :confused: they just cancelled my policy without any notice! please help if you can, i had to leave my car 250miles from home and they took their monthly payment as well .

Have they not stopped at all taking the premiums from your account?

This is important as I think that means that you still have a contract of insurance with them. They cannot cancel one sided.

NDnorthleeds, can i suggest you start your own thread with your problem, it just makes things a bit easier to keep tabs on mate.

cheers

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

NDnorthleeds, can i suggest you start your own thread with your problem, it just makes things a bit easier to keep tabs on mate.

cheers

DA

ndnorthleeds is my old thread for a long time i think some one used mine by mistake but i think is sorted now ,

The first thing is to get yourself insured, have you thought about cancelling the direct debit and taking out a policy with another company. Most insurers will give a big discount for new policies. There are some good search sites on the net.

The next thing is to establish why your policy has been cancelled and contacting the FSA. Have a read through Hastings T & C's see if anything applies. It could as simple as failing to notify motoring convictions, no claims bonus etc.

i think ill just take out a policy somewere but they took some money from my account on the 19th soon after telling me that they cancelled my policy , but i have written a letter to their head office to explain why the have cancelled my polcy and im still waiting for a reply.thanks mate.

• 2 weeks later...

You should fully contest this in court. Your argument is mens rea, that is you did not intentionally break the law and had no reasonable way to know you were breaking the law, they would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you were aware you were driving without insurance to make anything stick at all in this case, and I doubt they could!:cool:

• 1 month later...

hi...

i was send to stop by the police on last sunday

the police officer asked me if my insurance company know i had 6 points previously (for no insurance on 5-2005) i said do i have to tell them ? (honestly im not originally form uk i had no idea we had to tell them about the points ) any way i had my insurance made in 1-2006 for me and my wife.

today i ringed my insurance company and they said that my insurance will be canceled and all my money that i paid since the beginning (1-2006) will be returned and they are just waiting for a letter from police )

the police officer that send me to stop and canceled my insurance was saying that i had made a fraud and the penalty form that was between 5-10 years inside

on all the time i had insurance i lost count of times i was stopped by police more than 10 times at least from last august to now and after all this time they just canceled my insurance and im afraid of what may happen in court

any ideas ? please

First things first, yes you should have declared the points to your insurer.

Same goes for any modifications to the car, any claims (including glass/windscreen damage) Golden rule, if in doubt, tell you insurer, they will make the decision on what is relevant and what isn't.

Back to your case though, the "police officer" who kindly pointed out that you have committed fraud and could face jail time for 5-10 years is talking out of his rear end. Yes, technically speaking non-disclsure is classed classed as fraud but i have never heard of a case of an insurer prosecuting for it, especially not for something minor like a few points.

From what you have said i think that as your insurer has taken the option to CFI (cancel from inception) your policy and give you a full refund rather than backdate the ammendment and charge you any extra premium from inception, then the worst case scenario you could be looking at is Driving Without Insurance which i beleive will only constitute more points (so a possible ban if you go over 12 in total) and a fine.

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

• 2 years later...

Suggest that you start a new thread confirming the exact situation.

What you should do, is find your Insurers complaints process and give them a call. The Insurers will have a complaints/customer relations/technical team (different companies have different names) that handles these type of enquiries. Keep phoning them until you get someone to handle this personally for you.

The Insurers have to abide by strict rules, being that car Insurance is a legal requirement. If they cancel, they have to provide a minimum of 7 days notice in writing.

If you are struggling to get any help from your Insurers, give the FOS a call.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact/index.html

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread