Long story - asked for fitted blinds.

Pokemon99

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I asked a company to come and quote to supply and fit new blinds to brand new windows. The cost was £495 and I paid £100 deposit.

The company came measured up and supposedly checked that the area was suitable for drilling into. It turns out the area wasn't because it was a bow/bay style and the internal ceiling is just plastic. There's nothing above it. If you have this style the blinds should be drilled into the window frames.

Anyway, the fitter didn't know that and drilled 2 holes, scratched the ceiling bit and scratched the UPVC windowsill. As he couldn't fit them from the ceiling bit the brackets he said were too long and he'd have to cut them down. They were white coated metal.

The builder came back to inspect the damage and filled the holes and asked the window company to check that the damage wasn't worse and that water could get in.

I told the company that I wasn't happy and that I didn't want to find that the brackets were partly white with the rest of the paint chipped off.

10 days later another fitter came back and brought as I'd feared the chipped brackets. He held the brackets up and realised that they were still the wrong ones for the job so he would get new ones. He was really difficult and unpleasant and it turns out he was the shop owner.

He said nothing about them repairing the damage.

The window company rang me and said that if there was water damage the unit would probably need to come out. It cost £1700 but if it was only the internal bit that was damaged it would probably cost about £100.

I rang my home insurance as they provide legal advice and asked them what to do. They said we were entitled to withhold the cost of the repairs from the bill but to tell the company that first. I phoned the company and told them.

Later that day the owner of the company phoned me and started shouting about me stealing his money, calling me a whore, threatening me with physical violence and 'he knew people' etc. I was petrified. I phoned the police and reported it. They visited him said they'd 'given him a stern warning' and told him that if he came to the house he would be arrested'.

That left me with the blinds, his tools, etc.

I then receive a letter from his wife saying that they will either fit the blinds or collect the blinds and return my deposit. Fine, I said pick them up but I want the repairs paid for.

A lot of correspondence ensued. She said she would put the damage through her insurance and send her the bill. No letter from insurance company despite request for it. It took a few weeks to get the bill - (July August - builder, fitter, us on holidays) Anway, got the bill one day, sent it to her the next.

Instead, she issued proceedings in the small claims saying that the blinds were perfectly all right and that I had breached the contract she therefore wanted the money in full. She also claimed that the damage would be covered by her husband fitting the blind track over the damage.

Now, in reliance on her taking the blinds back I had some blinds fitted as it is downstairs bedroom. The track did not cover the damage and the window company repaired it at a cost of £85. I want my deposit and the £85 and they can have the blinds as per the agreement. She says my fitting the binds breached the contract.

The hearing is on 26th March. What is my position? It's clear in correspondence that she was taking the blinds back and paying for the repair.

She is expecting that you will not do as you have done and seek advice, she is probably hoping she will get a judgement by default.

Help will be along that will be useful to you from those that are in the know.

Yes I have acknowledged and done the counterclaim. It was referred to mediation and I thought that was a good start and that may be she would have got over it a bit but she says that now in order to settle it she wants the blinds back and to keep my deposit.

Hi there,

So is the mediation process over now.

If the case goes on to be heard in court, make sure you have copies of all letters, quotations, estimates and any other documents. Arrange them so you can find what you need quickly on the day.

If you made any notes of telephone conv'ns with times and dates, that may also help if they are not too long.

Do you have a copy of the Police Report, which may also add weight to your case. Contact the police to obtain this and do so quickly as the process may take some time.

Take along any photographs of the damage before it was repaired and the window co's repair bill.

Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi

Thank you. I hate the thought of going to court but it seems inevitable. I have now contacted the police for the report. The case is March 26th so I'm wondering if I'll get it in time. I'll ring them.

Well done and come back with any queries.

The court process itself is far less intimidating than peeps think.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)