Calls from Mercers/Calder

-abc123-

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4958 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

About 3 weeks ago I got a missed call on my mobile from 01514732500. Looking this up it appears to be Mercers or Calder. Am I right in thinking they are associated with, and only with, Barclays?

I tried to ring back but got no answer. Since I have no known debt with Barclays and the people ringing did not leave any kind of message I assumed it was a mis-dial.

Today I got another missed call from them, again no message. I worry about things anyway and now I am concerned that there is a debt associated with my name that I do not know about? Prehaps from a previous house where accounts were not closed off properly.

So is Mercers solely associated with Barclays and is there a way I can find out if there is a debt in my name (perhaps via a credit rating?). Really worried about this :(

Thanks for any help.

Mercers are the in-house debt collectors for Barclays/Barclaycard.... they also go by the name of Calders, I seem to remember.

This won't be a mis-dial... they want to get you on the 'phone. Don't have any of it. Wait for them to contact you in writing to find out what it's about. They are persistant in wanting to get you on the 'phone though, so as soon as you know who it is, hang up immmediately, say "in writing only" or, refuse to go through "security" with them. If you don't, they will come out with all kinds of bowlarks to intimidate you into paying something on the spot.... Don't.

I am dealing with Mercers myself right now.... so try not to worry about this.

:)

Thats what I don't understand though - I have no debts with Barclays unless someone else has used my identity and have received no letters from them. Also, I have only had 1 call and then 1 3 weeks later. Is there any way I can find out the loans/debts taken out in my name?

If you're sure you have nothing in your name, then there's no worry.... but if there's any chance that you've had an old Barclays account in the past, then they could be calling about that.

As you've not spoken to them yet, wait and see who they ask for when they call again. If it's not you, then you can tell them so. If it is you, then ask them to write, as you have no recollection of having an account with Barclays.

If they haven't got your address... then don't give it. They only have your mobile number anyway, as far as I can make out.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I believe if a mobile number is unused for a while or an account is cancelled the phone company can reallocate the number. Could this be why they are calling your mobile? Pehaps they have that number listed for someone else. Also these DCA's do "fishing" calls and letters where they write and call anyone in a certain area with the same name of the person they are looking for. You could do a check of your credit record to ensure no incorrect entries have been made by them, but I wouldn't bother until/unless you get written contact from them.

Ali x

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

All ccj's now dropped off file, 2 yrs to go to clear file.

All old debts either settled or made unenforcable.

RBS MPP-Full offer at 8 wks from first complaint

RBS Overdraft loanguard-full offer at 8 wks from complaint

Citicard ppi-with FOS finally paid 8 months after offer through FOS!

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

aqua x2 ppi-partialled settled still pushing for the rest

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment