• Tweets

• it is NOT A FINE.....this is an extremely important point to understand no-one bar a magistrate in a magistrates criminal court can ever fine anyone for anything. Private Parking Tickets (speculative invoices) are NOT a criminal matter, merely a speculative contractual Civil matter hence they can only try a speculative monetary claim via the civil county court system (which is no more a legal powers matter than what any member of Joe Public can do). Until/unless they do raise a county court claim a CCJ and win, there are not ANY enforcement powers they can undertake other than using a DCA, whom are legally powerless and are not BAILIFFS. Penalty Charge Notices issued by local authorities etc were decriminalised years ago - meaning they no longer can progress a claim to the magistrates court to enforce, but go directly to legal enforcement via a real BAILIFF themselves. 10'000 of people waste £m's paying private parking companies because they think they are FINES...and the media do not help either. the more people read the above the less income this shark industry get. where your post said fine it now says charge .............. please fill out the Q&A ASAP. dx  
    • Well done on reading the other threads. If ECP haven't got the guts to do court then there is no reason to pay them. From other threads there is a 35-minute free stay after which you need to pay, with the signs hidden where no-one will read them.  Which probably explains why ECP threaten this & threaten that, but in the end daren't do court. As for your employer - well you can out yourself as the driver to ECP so the hamster bedding will arrive at yours.  Get your employer to do that using the e-mail address under Appeals and Transfer Of Liability.  
    • good you are getting there. Lloyds/TSb...i certainly would not be risking possible off-setting going on if a choice were there, but in all honestly thats obv too late now..., however..you might not never be in that situation so dont worry too much. regardless to being defaulted or not, if any debt that is not paid/used in 6yrs it becomes statute barred. you need to understand a couple of things like 'default' and 'default notice' a default is simply a recorded D in the calendar section/history of a debt, it does not really mean anything. might slightly hit your rating. the important thing here is a default notice , these are issued by the original creditor (OC) under the consumer credit act, it gives you 14 days to settle whatever they are asking, if you don't then they have the option to register a defaulted date on your credit file. that can make getting other credit more difficult. and hits your rating. once that happens, not matter what you do after that, paying it or not or not paid off or not, the whole account vanishes from your credit file on the DN's 6th b'day. though that might not necessarily mean the debt is not still owed - thats down to the SB date above. an OC very rarely does court and only the OWNER of a debt can instigate any court action (Attempted a CCJ) DCA's debt collection agencies - DCA's are NOT BAILIFFS they have ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter what it's TYPE. an OC make pass a debt to a dca as their client to try and spoof people into paying through legal ignorance of the above statement. an OC may SELL on an old debt to a DCA/debt buyer (approx 10p=£1) and then claim their losses through tax write off and their business insurance, wiping their hands of the debt. the DCA then becomes the debt OWNER. since the late 70's dca's pull all kinds of 'stunts' through threat-o-grams to spoof a debtor into paying them the full value of the debt, when they bought if for a discounted sum (typically 10p=£1). you never pay a dca a penny! if read carefully, NONE of their letters nor those of any other 'trading names' they spoof themselves under making it seem it's going up some kind of legitimate legal 'chain' say WILL anything....just carefully worded letters with all kinds of threats of what could/might/poss happen with other such words as instruct forward pass... well my dog does not sit when instructed too...so... DCA's SOMETIMES will issue a court claim, but in all honesty its simply a speculative claim hoping mugs wet themselves and cough up...oh im going to court... BIG DEAL DCA - show me the enforceable paperwork signed by me...9/10 they dont have it and if your defence is conducted properly, most run away from you . however before they do all that they now have to send a letter of claim, cause the courts got fed up with them issuing +750'000PA speculative claims and jamming up the legal system. so bottom line is two conclusions.... if you cant pay a debt, get a DN issued ASAP (stop paying it!) make sure it gets registered on your file then it stops hurting your file/future credit in 6yrs regardless to what happens (bar of course a later DCA CCJ - fat chance mind!)  once you've a registered DN , then look into restarting payments if the debt is still owed by the OC, if SOLD to a DCA, don't pay - see if they issue a letter of claim (then comeback here!).        
    • Any update here?  I ask as we have someone new being hassled for parking at this site.
    • Any update here?  I ask as we have someone new being hassled for parking at this site.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

My Banks filed a counterclaim..!!!! Urgent advice needed please

Mandi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1875 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

First post here... Wish me luck!!

Can anyone advise me please..

After a delay my bank has finally sent a breakdown of charges to my account for the last 6 years ( or not as the case is!!)

Firstly

their actual charges are missing from the statments..

eg. 1st April £10.00 overdrawn

4th April paid in £100.00.. cleared balance £ 70.00.. ie £10.00 overdraft, plus £20.00 charges, the charges have obvously come off the account between the 1st and 4th, but are not showing as a debit on the statments they have sent,

also, in the accompanying letter , they say that they have sent all statments, up to and including 11th Febuary o6... but I cant find anything after March 05..

Their 40 days ends on the 11th.. How do I stand legally, as they have failed to send all of the requested information., IE their charges, and charges form March 05

As anyone come across this...

Any help would be really really appreciated.. Cant let them get away with this

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the charges are not itemised, it may well be that you have entries on your statements that say something like:

Total Charges Jan - £60

Interest - £1.25

If they have not broken it down completely then you will need to trawl through them again to identify these entries. Regarding the missing statements: there could be a couple of reasons:

• Did you request a full set going back six years?
  • Have you sorted them into chronological order?
  • What condition were the statements delivered in (was the envelope ripped up, and open to the world?)

If the answer to the first two is 'yes,' and the answer to the third is 'poor condition' then you have a good argument to send to the Information Commissioner. There has been much talk of postal/account security on this board over the last fortnight.

If the envelope was okay, and you answered yes to the first two points, have you contacted the bank again to check on progress of the missing statements? You are not obliged to do so, but for the sake of a few (as opposed to half of them) it may just have been a delayed envelope. Some banks are sending statements out in batches, and this may be the answer to your query.

However, remind them that they have 40 days to comply with your request, and that failure to comply will result in an official complaint to the IC.

If the information still does not turn up in the 40 day timeframe, calculate the charges that you do have, and extrapolate through to the missing months for your letter before action. If you do a search in the group for 'estimated' you will find more information on claiming an estimated refund.

Good luck.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I'm looking at Halifax statements for a friend - they have only shown 'charges' from at least Jun 05

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

I've had the same problem with the BOS

They stated that they had another system previously & that the person who dealt with my request obviously overlooked this.

I have now requested this information for the third time (by telephone & still within the 40 day limit)!!!!

Hopefully when I get I can start the ball rolling

Best of luck

Please could you also confirm the name of the bank in case this is the start of a trend.

Yes No problem... Cumberland Building Society... Branches in Cumbria, and SW Scotland only..

Theyre in such a flap about this, that all my correspondence has been sent by the Societys Solicitor

I've had the same problem with the BOS

They stated that they had another system previously & that the person who dealt with my request obviously overlooked this.

I have now requested this information for the third time (by telephone & still within the 40 day limit)!!!!

Hopefully when I get I can start the ball rolling

Best of luck

Dino, what did you say to them ...Did you ask for another breakdown of the charges.. They only have util the 11th.. What happens if they dont send me statements from March 05 until Feb 06.. Do I then forward to the commissioner...with a complait... Once I get over this bit I know what im doing..

Thanks All

Mandi

If the charges are not itemised, it may well be that you have entries on your statements that say something like:

Total Charges Jan - £60

Interest - £1.25

If they have not broken it down completely then you will need to trawl through them again to identify these entries. Regarding the missing statements: there could be a couple of reasons:

• Did you request a full set going back six years?
  • Have you sorted them into chronological order?
  • What condition were the statements delivered in (was the envelope ripped up, and open to the world?)

If the answer to the first two is 'yes,' and the answer to the third is 'poor condition' then you have a good argument to send to the Information Commissioner. There has been much talk of postal/account security on this board over the last fortnight.

If the envelope was okay, and you answered yes to the first two points, have you contacted the bank again to check on progress of the missing statements? You are not obliged to do so, but for the sake of a few (as opposed to half of them) it may just have been a delayed envelope. Some banks are sending statements out in batches, and this may be the answer to your query.

However, remind them that they have 40 days to comply with your request, and that failure to comply will result in an official complaint to the IC.

If the information still does not turn up in the 40 day timeframe, calculate the charges that you do have, and extrapolate through to the missing months for your letter before action. If you do a search in the group for 'estimated' you will find more information on claiming an estimated refund.

Good luck.

Thanks Spice,

Envelope was fine, and the covering letter said that all charges up to and including 11th Feb were enclosed, and last years are definately not there...

Is it worth asking or just leaving it, until the deadline, in 0ne week...

Thanks again Spice

Mandi

They have their deadline - if you wish to ask again you are free to do so. However, you have made the request, and are not obliged to offer them a reminder. It really is up to you, but if the request is not fulfilled by the deadline then definitely send the complaint to the IC. Good luck.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

Im new here, but have been reading for a while. Please could anyone give me some advice..(-:

I have read tonight that my Building society have just acknowledged my claim for unfair charges. They are a small local society ( which is why I have posted here,)

and right from the word go, have been reluctant to provide any information.. Including sending copies of my statments ( 38 days!)

All along I have said to myself that they will not give in without a fight..!!

Anyway question is,by acknowledging my claim, are they are still stalling for time.. Or am I going to be case number 2 in court...( confused)

I would appreciate any advice, or help...

Thank you

Mandi

They may or may not choose to go to court. Simply acknowledging the claim is not a clear indication of their intent. It's an administrative move to give them some extra time to file their defence.

• Confused 1

Thanks Semi

Im a little unsure what happens if they do file a defence, is it then that the court date is arranged..Sorry to ask, and if a court date is arranged, can they still settle "out of court" before the hearing..

Im almost sure they will go on to the bitter end with this

Thanks so much for your help

Mandi

Don't panic. They probably will file a defence, this is perfectly normal and to be expected. What may happen is that they file a defence and then offer to settle for 50%. What the vast majority of users are doing is refusing the first offer, because it is invariably follwed by an offer to settle in full.

The first time you do all this it can be a bit scary. Everyone convinces themselves that they are going to be 'The Chosen One' who the banks are going to make an example of. All I would say is that it hasn't happened yet, and there's no reason why it should be you. Kepp the faith!:)

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress. remember, there are plenty of people on the forum who will be only too happy to give you support and guidance.

• Confused 1

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Thank you so much, Robert

You really have put my mind at rest.. (-:.. ( big sigh of relief).. ( in fact major big sigh of relief...) Ive been fine until today, their replys have been Text book..

I used to work for them.. Which has put me on edge So I know whats happening.. managers meetings, solicitors meetings.. Then the old fuddy duddy directors meetings...(-;

Scary or what...

Would you mind if I stayed in touch with you.. would be nice to have a knowledgeble person to talk to

Thanks ever so much for your reply

Mandi x

Don't forget that you are the one calling the shots now, so they are probably trying to find how they can wriggle out of the situation. Just stick to your guns and don't let them intimidate you. I am sure you will have much more advice and experience available to call on than they will, so they should be the ones who are squirming.

• Confused 1
The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Don't forget that you are the one calling the shots now, so they are probably trying to find how they can wriggle out of the situation. Just stick to your guns and don't let them intimidate you. I am sure you will have much more advice and experience available to call on than they will, so they should be the ones who are squirming.

Thank you Caro,,

Im almost sure the directors will be Squirming in their chairs.. (-: Expecially after Tonight.. ( With the one and only Trevor McDonald.. I actually have felt in " control " until today, so I really need some support.... and so..

Thanks

Mandi

Ive recived a letter from the courts today, to say the society intend to defend the case... Please can you advise me what to do next..

Sorry for the daft question..(-;

Thanks again for the advice

Mandi

Don't panic - you are way ahead of me in your claim but I would suggest that you look again at the FAQ's, look through the libraries on the forum for information on how to proceed, and also look at the court buddy system and see if you can find someone to help you through. You are in the right place to get help. :)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks again caro,

I didnt even know about the court buddy sysem, so youve been really really helpful..

I will have a look see what I can find (-;

Mandi

Hi Mandi,

It's now down to the staring match between you and the bank - all you need do now is simply wait until they actually file their defense (which you will recieve a copy of). When/IF they do so, you will then be sent an allocation questionnaire - it's usually after returning this that you get your first settlement offer (From what I understand, anyway).

As others have said - we're here to support you, so good luck and keep us informed!

• Confused 1

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Hi Mandi,

It's now down to the staring match between you and the bank - all you need do now is simply wait until they actually file their defense (which you will recieve a copy of). When/IF they do so, you will then be sent an allocation questionnaire - it's usually after returning this that you get your first settlement offer (From what I understand, anyway).

As others have said - we're here to support you, so good luck and keep us informed!

Thanks for your reply Reload ( just read it)

Im a little aprehensive, but dont plan on stopping this until I reatch the end,,

Not long to go now, claim acknoledged on the 2nd, so should know something by next Friday..

Thank god for the replies everone sent me!! (-;

Your a great lot..

Will definately keep you posted....

Cheers

Mandi

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Well my bank still digging their heels in, and I have now received a court allocation questionnaire.. Including a Couterclaim from my bank for past refunds to my account given as Gestures of " goodwill"... !!

Has this happened to anyone else. ?? And most impostanly... What Do I do next please... ????

Im in receipt of benefits, and its going to cost me £ 100.00 when I return this form, so I need to do it properley..

I also have limited time to return it... SOO PLEEESE can anyone advise my.. I will be most greatful

Thank you

Mandi

Can you post the wording of the counterclaim?

I can't see them having a leg to stand on as a gesture of goodwill is voluntarily paid by the bank to you as a gift.

• Confused 1

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

Yes Here goes

and the defendant counterclaims

1. £ 116.00 or such other sum as the court finds due as set out in parag 26 herein

2. Costs and expenses as a matter of contract, as set out in parag 29 herein

3. Intrest

4 alternatively to (2) the costs of these proccedings as a matter of discrettion of the court

5such further relief as may be necessary or desirable

Basicly they want their money back plus intest, and court costs

Any ideas now please,

Thank you very much

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1875 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks