Congestion Charge: Road outside of Zone?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4921 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have received (and paid) a congestion charge penalty for entering the London Congestion Charge Zone. At the the time I had no recollection of doing this. I hired a vehicle from a car hire firm in Abbey Street (SE1) so the ticket took over three weeks to arrive.

On the ticket it said "Abbey Street West of Tower Bridge Road"... however this road is outside of the congestion zone but it does run into Long Acre Lane which is in the congestion zone (Abbey Street & Long Acre Lane is a junction/crossroad over Tower Bridge Road)

I telephoned the congestion charge customer service and told them that Abbey Street as mentioned on the PCN is outside the CC Zone. The customer service agent had a look and agreed and advised me to write a letter stating that I had no recollection of entering the zone and that Abbey Street is outside of the congestion zone.

I wrote a letter and recived a letter confirming that they had CCTV footage of the vehicle entering the congestion zone but did not mention Long Acre Lane.

Once I thought about it longer I did remember going into the zone although in error as I it thought it was after 6:00pm (ticket was 5:55pm). Overall it has has cost me £140 as I was charged an administration fee by the car hire firm as well...

It's probably all too late now as I have paid the ticket (and thus i assume admitted full liability), however on a a point of issue if the PCN for the congestion charge does not clearly state the correct road for the contravention/entry is it still liable?

Thanks

You've not necessarily admitted full liability, you would have been mitigating your losses by making payment. If you were in Abbey Street at 5.55pm, it could well have been after 6pm when you entered the zone.

Why aren't we revolting?

Abbey Street does not become Long Lane until after the junction with Bermondsey Street. There is a short stretch of Abbey Street between Tower Bridge Street and Bermondsey Street that is within the CC Zone. The TFL map is not clear on this.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Just checked the map in case Abbey Street changed into Long Lane (not Long Acre Lane) after the next junction with Bermondsey Street. It doesn't, and there is no Abbey Street west of Tower Bridge Road as far as I can see.:)

Google Maps

Go for it, what have you got to lose?

Why aren't we revolting?

You've not necessarily admitted full liability, you would have been mitigating your losses by making payment. If you were in Abbey Street at 5.55pm, it could well have been after 6pm when you entered the zone.

I doubt it. I suspect that the OP picked up the car from the hire firm on part of Abbey Street O/S the zone, crossed Tower Bridge Road (which is on the boundary) and went ito the zone.

I would aske the Hire Firm why they didn't give clear instructions (if they didn't).

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Abbey Street does not become Long Lane until after the junction with Bermondsey Street. There is a short stretch of Abbey Street between Tower Bridge Street and Bermondsey Street that is within the CC Zone. The TFL map is not clear on this.

Thanks, on all the maps i checked it has Abbey Street stopping at Tower Bridge Road.

No case then....just as well I didn't take it further. Which map have you used..? the A-Z shows it as Long Lane..?

It won't take the actual map as a link, but it's on the View on Map link to the left and it's a different mapping company. I think you can take it further, on the basis that there is no Abbey Street west of Tower Bridge Road, whatever their camera has filmed.

Why aren't we revolting?

Thanks, on all the maps i checked it has Abbey Street stopping at Tower Bridge Road.

No case then....just as well I didn't take it further. Which map have you used..? the A-Z shows it as Long Lane..?

I know the road.

What do you know about it that maps don't show (or are they wrong)? Does it cross Tower Bridge Road? If not the PCN is wrong...

I guess if you could only go straight on into Long Lane from Abbey Street, (not left or right) they might be able to surmise that you must have gone into the zone, but that's not the same as being caught in it.

Why aren't we revolting?

Even if you went into the Zone during operating hours (up to 6pm AND 59 seconds?) the Ticket should be correct and accurate to be valid

TFL's own Congestion Charge website's map at -www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/congestioncharge/whereandwhen/assets/DetailMapECCZ.pdf

shows Abbey Street to be completely outside the Zone. On that basis I would vigorously contest their Ticket being wrongly issued according to their own published map. However it might depend on what is actually there in road name signs to the west of Tower Bridge Street.

If the signs match the map, and you did enter the Zone FROM Abbey Street it would have been by crossing Tower Bridge Road into Long Lane (according to their own map) in which case their Ticket should have said Long Lane as the place you were seen IN the Zone having crossed between the two CC Zone signs which presumably were either side of Long Lane, just within from Tower Bridge Road. Wrong ticket = not valid.

If you turned left or right at Tower Bridge Road and that was prohibited, that is a completely different matter and not a violation of the CC Zone - some different offence.

Try this map:

PlanAccess GUI

You can zoom in and see that Abbey Street straddles Tower Bridge Road as I said it does in Post No 3.

I can see that (what an awkward map to get around), but it is at odds with the other 2 maps that are published. How strange. Even the road number changes. It's not clearly defined on the CC map, so could be worth a go, but the camera should be placed inside the zone, so they will know about any mapping glitches, even if the call centre don't seem to.

Why aren't we revolting?

I said I know the road.

Maybe this will convince you:

I went past it last night, the road on the west side of Tower Bridge Road is marked with a sign that reads "Abbey Street". OK onlt the one on the north side is visible as there is scaffolding on the building on the south side.

In addition the entry point of Abbey Street has the regular congestion zone signs.