Calling all techies....again

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Following on from my previous thread I have decided that I would like to implement Raid 5 for my storage needs. To do this, I intend to run a dedicated WinXP machine and use its dynamic disk functionality to run my array. That's the plan anyway. Currently all my storage is on NAS devices, so my question is: is it possible to set up NAS drives so that they can be turned into dynamic volumes under WinXP?. The idea is that the WinXP machine will have 2 gigabit ethernet cards (on seperate subnets), with one being used for the NAS devices and the other being used for user access. come on, someone out there must know the answer... :)

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

is it possible to set up NAS drives so that they can be turned into dynamic volumes under WinXP? - NO

Dynamic discs must be local and not networked.

Also is RAID 5 the correct choice. This is excellent for redundancy, but really designed for servers/corporate rather than home use.

For decent redundancy you might be better of building yourself a server an have a hardware RAID card, rather than the rather flakey Windoze attempt.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

is it possible to set up NAS drives so that they can be turned into dynamic volumes under WinXP? - NO

Dynamic discs must be local and not networked.

Also is RAID 5 the correct choice. This is excellent for redundancy, but really designed for servers/corporate rather than home use.

For decent redundancy you might be better of building yourself a server an have a hardware RAID card, rather than the rather flakey Windoze attempt.

The problem with that is expandability. I'm planning for an eventual capacity of 10TB. If I can find a way to simply add more NAs devices as I need them it will be easier and a lot cheaper than runnig multiple servers - unless you know of a motherboard with a dozen SATA ports...

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

:o

Oh, come on, soon you'll have more than that on your wee thumb drive...:p

What the hell are you storing !!!!!

Bear in mind there is a MINIMUM of 3 discs for RAID 5 and it works better with alot of smaller ones.

You could think of something like this: Insight UK - HP StorageWorks Modular Smart Array 1510i SAN St...

OR how about running a number of these: Insight UK - Drobo DRO4DU10 - Hard drive array - 4 bays ( SAT...

Throw in 4 x TB drives and then you can RAID them.

USB counts as local for Dynamic Disc ;)

I would still use a server OS rather than XP for this.

Indeed, then save up about 15k and buy a Sun SAN unit. ;-)

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Bear in mind there is a MINIMUM of 3 discs for RAID 5 and it works better with alot of smaller ones.

You could think of something like this: Insight UK - HP StorageWorks Modular Smart Array 1510i SAN St...

OR how about running a number of these: Insight UK - Drobo DRO4DU10 - Hard drive array - 4 bays ( SAT...

Throw in 4 x TB drives and then you can RAID them.

USB counts as local for Dynamic Disc ;)

Well, I currently have 6 drives, and rather than doing Raid 1 I'm happy to go on the assumption that when the drives do fail it probably won't be all at once. this means that if I use Raid 5 I'll just be able to swap out the faulty drive with a new one. I quite like the idea of a USB array actually.

I like to collect DVDs you see, and since I have 6 children (five of them

Right then here's a plan.

Have you thought about using something like DVDShrink or even DivX to compress and then streaming with TVersity » Home to your TV's.

The good thing about this is that you can use a network enabled games console, like Xbox360, to handle the streaming and display.

I know what you are saying about compression, but unless you are running 1080i HiDef this is more than enough.

Bear in mind how LOW the resolution of a standard TV is.

Also this way you can stream to anything on your network.

This will also do the job for you: Sling Media - Home of the Slingbox

Right then here's a plan.

Have you thought about using something like DVDShrink or even DivX to compress and then streaming with TVersity » Home to your TV's.

The good thing about this is that you can use a network enabled games console, like Xbox360, to handle the streaming and display.

Please Ben, try and keep it serious...:rolleyes:

That's exactly what I do, but I use a mixture of MythTV and the orig. xbox and my own custom software which works brilliantly.

I've even got it dimming the lights automatically if it detects a film has started! Plus, I can connect to the box remotely (over http) and set off recordings and/or start films, music etc... or simply want to know the temperature in the living room (or kitchen etc...).

The only thing I want to add now is cameras on the front door, so I can remotely control the opening/closing. I already have the hardware for the door, but no cameras.

Anyway, I've shown myself up for the geek that I really am, so I'm off.....

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------