• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CAG BRIGHTHOUSE Consumer Fact Sheet

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3491 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The CAG factsheet has just been updated slightly to reflect the increase BrightHouse have recently imposed on their late payment penalty charges.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

However, even though the goods belong to BrightHouse at all times, this does NOT mean they can just stroll into your home and remove them if you get into payment difficulties. Unless you have actually consented to their removal, BrightHouse cannot legally remove (re-possess) them until they have:

a) Issued you with a default notice (in writing)

b) Given you an opportunity to put matters right (at least 7 days)

c) Applied for (and been granted) a court order

They need to allow 14 days from service Lefty not 7 days. 2 days are allowed for service if the notice is sent by first class mail.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

They need to allow 14 days from service Lefty not 7 days. 2 days are allowed for service if the notice is sent by first class mail.

Hi Rory

Just quoting from the OFT guide to Hire Purchase - you'll find the time frame may well be slightly longer for a traditional consumer credit credit agreement. (There are quite a few subtle differences when it come to Hire Purchase).

OFT Guide to Hire Purchase

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

;)

This is a really informative article. I came across it on this website after learning about a news of the world article. There was an email released throughout brighthouse to be brought to the attention of all employees to counter specific remarks in the news of the world article.

I was recently recommended by a friend to take a job at BrightHouse. So I did and came upon what is supposed to be one of the most successful branches in terms of customers per square foot of shop floor space.

I was told in my interview about BrightHouse, specifically, one detail stuck in my mind about how the store location was decided. "Streets with charity shops on are a good start".

Always having worked in IT I had not experience in retail or sales so did not know what to expect. The induction consisted of a lot of reading about the company and their operations and a bombardment of propaganda and justification for their "optional service cover".

I said, "Ok" and moved on.

Watching the sales assistants work on the shop floor I noticed that there was very little to the sales process for existing customers. It was basically a case of:

"Hi Joe, want a TV?",

"Yeah, sure I'd like a 37"",

"We've only got a 47" or a 32"",

"I'll go for the 47" then",

"Sorry, I can't sell you that one....So 32" then",

"Alright."

And that is in no way a simplification, I have heard a conversation like that on more than one occasion.

Goods are being pushed out on agreements like this with little regard for anything else other than the weekly sales targets. Sometimes a customer can not come into the store to make a payment without leaving with a games console or some shifty item of refurbished furniture. I know that I have seen some customers looking very uncomfortable in sales situations inside the store.

I think new customers are made to feel as if they are under scrutiny and they are certainly looked at under suspicion. "Guilty until proven innocent".

Meanwhile in the back office the Account Rep (Debt Manager) is on the telephone throughout the day desperately trying to claw back monies due on goods sold to customers who simply, couldn't afford it, or never were reliable anyway.

Seems like a big silly see-saw to me.

OSC seems extortionate to me. It is surprising how much it raises the price, The service I have seen is sub-standard. I have seen laptops come back "serviced" with the faults un-resolved. I have seen damaged white goods "serviced" sent out and come back the same day. I have seen the same (old) Xbox 360 (the old ones (with the wired pad and no hdmi output) had some fault where something burnt out inside and a red ring of light is displayed on the front) ping-pong from store to customer to store o service to store to customer...

I try not to think about it.

When I speak to collegues about OSC, they genuinely beleive it is the best thing ever, forget sliced bread.

When I questioned other aspects of their operations I was always met with answers like, "Because it is.". Not very helpful.

Not wanting a lobotomy myself I am glad I have evaded the training course so far.

The only person I managed to get a real discussion about my concerns with was the store manager. When I explained my strict (personal) moral code and what I think of BrightHouse he answered with something along the lines of.

"If you don't beleive in BrightHouse and what we offer. If you are ashamed to say you work for BrightHouse, then guess it is not for you."

And he is right, it isn't.

Edited by interpolite

"If you don't beleive in BrightHouse and what we offer. If you are ashamed to say you work for BrightHouse, then guess it is not for you."

And he is right, it isn't.

He's sure is! You sound too good for the likes of Brighthouse :D Welcome to CAG by the way, and thank you for your comments - much appreciated.

Just quoting from the OFT guide to Hire Purchase
Those guidelines are from 2005. The statute changed from 7 days notice to 14 days on the 1st of October 2006.

The notice period is no different for HP agreements than for other consumer credit agreements.

Please see the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) as amended:

A specification of:--

(a) the provision of the agreement alleged to have been breached; and

(b) the nature of the alleged breach of the agreement, specifying clearly the matters complained of; and either

© if the breach is capable of remedy, what action is required to remedy it and the date, being a date [not less than fourteen days] after the date of service of the notice, before which that action is to be taken; or

(d) if the breach is not capable of remedy, the sum (if any) required to be paid as compensation for the breach and the date, being a date [not less than fourteen days] after the date of service of the notice, before which it is to be paid.

And schedule 2 of The Consumer Credit Act 2006 (Commencement No.1) Order 2006.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi Interpolite.

And welcome!

Great insight, especially as I was right, nothing has changed at all!

And they say they have grown into a better organisation! They don'tgro, they only spread, like a virus!

PJ

PlumberJon :-D

UNUS VIR OBVIAM ORBIS TERRARUM

Are you being harrassed by a DCA or Brighthouse. Click the link for OFT Debt collection guidelines. Chances are, they could be in breach of some part of sections 2 or 3 or both!

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

I just give advice, I can't do it for you though!!

If you were helped, then please wiggle my scales, and you might get a wiggle back!!!

Is it now a condition of employment for BH that staff must now log on this forum and try to defend the company they work for?

I've just noticed this comment.

Although I don't at all like BH's style, they may well have some employees who believe in the company and it is entirely reasonable that they come onto this site and express their opinions.

I don't think that they should be knocked down for that

Exactly Bankfodder, it wouldn't be a discussion, if there were only one side to every story.

I would suggest that in fact it goes further though, in as much as the directors of BH regularly monitor the forums too!

Are you being harrassed by a DCA or Brighthouse. Click the link for OFT Debt collection guidelines. Chances are, they could be in breach of some part of sections 2 or 3 or both!

If you were helped, then please wiggle my scales, and you might get a wiggle back!!!

Those guidelines are from 2005. The statute changed from 7 days notice to 14 days on the 1st of October 2006.

The notice period is no different for HP agreements than for other consumer credit agreements.

Please see the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) as amended:

And schedule 2 of The Consumer Credit Act 2006 (Commencement No.1) Order 2006.

Thanks for picking up on that Rory. Have ammended the factsheet accordingly!

Appreciated

Cheers

Lefty

;)

This is a really informative article. I came across it on this website after learning about a news of the world article. There was an email released throughout brighthouse to be brought to the attention of all employees to counter specific remarks in the news of the world article.

Hi interpolite. Welcome to CAG. Thanks for your post. Very informative, too.

I must say, though, the part of your quote I have highlighted in bold I find a little hard to believe... Having said that, there ARE a high proportion of, quite clearly, BrightHouse employees contributing to the comments...

A national company the size and status of BrightHouse surely don't need their staff to provide unregulated and unapproved PR comments to the media? In my experience, one thing BrightHouse always take great care over is what they DO and NO NOT say to the media... They ALWAYS provide very carefully written and meticulously prepared statements...

As has been seen here (CAG) on many occassions, over enthusiastic BrightHouse staff have logged onto these boards and done more harm to the company in five minutes than even the most steadfast anti-BrightHouse campaigner could ever hope to achieve in a year!!! (not disagreeing with Bankfodder, of course. I, too, welcome balanced debate on this forum)

Cheers

Lefty

;)

I must say, though, the part of your quote I have highlighted in bold I find a little hard to believe... Having said that, there ARE a high proportion of, quite clearly, BrightHouse employees contributing to the comments...

I assure you that this happened this Monday morning. Happen it had not been sent I am sure a lot of employees would have been un aware of an article in the news of the world. It advised on how to approach questions regarding the article customers may have read in the news of the world.

I assure you that this happened this Monday morning. Happen it had not been sent I am sure a lot of employees would have been un aware of an article in the news of the world. It advised on how to approach questions regarding the article customers may have read in the news of the world.

OK. Thanks for the info... (by the way, I wasn't saying I didn't believe you, just that it was hard to believe BrightHouse would act in such a way.)

I still await the company's official response with great interest.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

3 - DAMAGE LIABILITY COVER (DLC)

“Damage Liability Cover” insurance policies are underwritten by BrightHouse themselves (through associate company Caversham Insurance (Malta) Ltd), and added to your hire purchase agreement as yet another additional weekly/monthly payment.

“…We may require you to take out Damage Liability Cover if you do not have home contents cover…”

Actually, there is very little “may require” about it. This additional insurance policy (around £250 on a £800 cash price product) is loaded AUTOMATICALLY and will only be removed if you can supply proof of "suitable" home contents insurance. (Of course, BrightHouse reserve the right to determine what is and what is not "suitable". In fact, very few home contents policies will specifically include items subject to a hire purchase agreement, and agree to settle with the finance company in the result of a claim.)

Nevertheless, you are led to believe this insurance covers the goods for damage, theft, fire, flood etc. But, unlike “real” home contents insurance it WILL NOT provide you with any replacement should it become necessary (not even like-for-like), and will only ever, at best, release you from your agreement with BrightHouse. You end up with NOTHING. In fact, you may even end up with a policy excess to pay (up to £100 in some cases) particularly on portable items – laptops, cameras and game consoles for instance.

Furthermore, in the event of a claim, the store manager will have the final say as to whether the policy should apply. He may, for instance, decide the goods where stolen or damaged because you didn’t secure or look after them adequately

Most people - even those who live in "high risk" insurance areas - can insure the entire contents of their home for less than BrightHouse charge for Damage Liability Cover on a single item!

“…It is a term of our contract, and in the interest of the customer, that the goods are insured. If a customer has home contents insurance this may well provide the necessary cover. Where a customer does not have home contents insurance, they may obtain cover through our Damage Liability Cover. Damage Liability Cover extends insurance cover on the product payments. Damage Liability Cover means that in the event of products being damaged by a fire, or accident, any outstanding payments on a valid claim will be waived.”

Basically, “Optional Service Cover” (above) and “Damage Liability Cover” is just one big payment protection policy split into two (thus disguising its true purpose) and, typically, BrightHouse will rely on your lack of knowledge and understanding when applying it. The two policies combined – and based upon a typical £800 cash price product – will eventually add around an extra £850.00 to your agreement.

With this in mind, and taking into account the inflated “cash” price and 29.9% APR, it means that, on average, goods purchased from BrightHouse, with Optional Service Cover and Damage Liability Cover policies attached, will end up being almost FOUR times as expensive than if you had purchased them (outright) elsewhere. By their own admission, BrightHouse claim that around 90% of their customers have Optional Service Cover and Damage Liability Cover attached to their agreements.

(You can view a full copy of BrightHouse Damage Liability Cover Terms and Conditions HERE (Adobe Acrobat format - opens in new window)

And furthermore, BH will take great pleasure in telling you that if you are behind with your payments, as your DLC and OSC are weekly renewable services, then they will NOT be in force!

So if something happens to your item, it WILL NOT be covered!

And you have been paying all this money for nothing!

So the solution is to try a get your own household contents insurance. As Lefty has already said, even in some of the most crime stricken communities, it is still cheaper to get your whole house insured than one item's DLC at Brighthouse, especially when you consider the added benefits, such as:

1) you will cover all the items in your house

2) portable items will be covered when out of the house ie, cameras, jewellery, laptops etc

3) certain policies may be new for old replacement

4) THE BIGGY - even if you are late at BH for the item and you need to make a claim, then as you are paying your insurance elsewhere, it WILL STILL BE COVERED!

Obviously you have to read the small print and make sure your insurance will cover everything you need it for, but this is the best way, and no matter what happens with BH, you will have a better REAL insurance that will give you total peace of mind!

So ask your insurance provider, and when enquiring, make sure you are covered for items that you are responsible for that are subject to a Hire Purchase agreement.

PJ

• 2 weeks later...

Well i just got my last wage a couple of weeks ago along with my p45 to find out that my "lovely ex manager" has charged me for not returning the uniform to store (i returned it to another local branch) My final wage was minus £100 can u believe it.

While i worked there i saw numerous staff come and go if they didn't meet their targets not one of them returned their uniforms and certainly didn't get charged like i did.

If i knew that she wasn't so far up the area mangers backside i would most certainly taken it further but what chance do any of us stand against a company like this.

Still looking for another job at the moment very hard to come by. But still glad i'm outta there, It seems she got her wish of having an all male store as i walked past the other day i had been replaced with yet another guy.

All the other staff i worked with was great, sometimes they may seem stressed but they will with cruella breathing down their necks "profits targets 60 + new agreements. Its a joke and i'm well out of it.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Could we have a update on this thread for Bright house please.

They have now changed the way they work....

. The over priced insurance is now included in the price of the goods

and you no longer have a choice to take it or not.

They refuse to give you a break down of the cost of the goods and insurance and say you can only buy goods off them with it included.

The late fee payment is now £5.50 per agreement and if you have any thing in the yellow money

(extra money pushed as a place to save) you no can no longer take it out.

Seems to me they are breaking the consumer law on several points and since we no longer have OFT are just taking the pee.

A friend whom I was unable to talk out of buying from them, just bought a Xbox one through them costing over £1500..... retail price £389 from PC World.co.uk

BH did this last September

plenty of threads on it already

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...