DVD/HDD Recorder stopped working

Wheredoigonow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5884 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a Toshiba DVD/HDD recorder from Dixons for £280 on 04/04/06, at the time it was top of the range. It has worked fine up to now but is now displaying a message on the screen, "There is an error on the HDD and cannot be used. This unit can only be used for disc playback. Contact service center".

I do not have a problem with that advice but I have not gone into the SOGA deeply, only having read threads here and in magazines. I am not too bad at ignoring sales assistants 'technical' advice but am I being optimistic in saying that 22 months of light usage on this type of equipment is not acceptable?

PC HDDs are normally accepted to last 5 years before any fault may occur, (most OEMs give a 5 year warranty on their HDD). I believe these HDD are no different.

I have no problem in asking for a repair under the Durability heading but, before I go in like a bull in a china shop, I would like to know you guys thoughts.

Cheers

Hi Wheredoigonow,

Welcome to CAG, I dont know the answer to your problem but someone with more knowledge will be along soon.

In the meantime have you tried to reformat the hard drive or can you not get into that.

mamie

Yes you are on the right tracks - apart from your 'bull in a china shop' approach.

Whilst you may have only used the player lightly or not at all, it would be difficult to prove this so the easiest thing to base it on would be how long you would expect the player to last with 'average' usage - and in my opinion if you pay £300 for a DVD/HDD recorder it should last more than 2 years.

Your next steps will be to take it back to the retailer with proof of purchase, explain your problem calmly but firmly, and ask for a repair or replacement.

Do let us know how you get on.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks for your quick replies, (you guys must be dedicated to stay up so late)!!!!!

I build my own PCs so formating is not unusual for me but in this case if I could format it I would but you then need the OS to install back on, (I would not think it was an ordinary version of Windows).

I realise my contract is with Currys, and I will be phoning them first to see what their answers are, (getting time off work to go in etc). I see from some of the threads that an Engineers report seems to be a good idea so, depending on their answer I may mention that to them.

I will let you know.

Cheers

Ask to speak to the store manager. If he refuses or asks for proof, provide a demonstration and ask him how on earth you could have possibly caused it. If he refuses to do anything, contact Consume Direct who should refer it to Trading Standards.

Well, this story looks like having a happy ending! I contacted Currys and, fair play, they offered to repair it, at my cost. I mentioned the SOGA and the durability heading and was sent off to their warranty dept who said that I needed to get an engineer's report and then they would act on it, refunding the cost of the engineer, if it was a hardware fault.

In the meanwhile I had e-mailed Toshiba, they said pretty much the same thing but invited me to ring them if I wanted to discuss the query. I spoke to their helpdesk who agreed that the HDD should have lasted longer and gave me their warranty dept number to discuss an out of warranty repair.

When I rang that number they only asked for my post code and number. Checked their screen and said they will collect the unit and repair it, (no prompting from me)!! She said that normally, if they had stock in they would replace it but there was none in. They are picking it up on Friday!

Full marks Toshiba.

I will let you know the final outcome. Many thanks for the advice, hope I can return the favour some day.

WDIGN

Well done WDIGN good result.

Going back to the reformatting I have done this twice on mine by just pressing a couple of buttons, maybe different on yours, anyway it was only an alternative if you did not get a good outcome.

Mamie

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I last posted on 10 Feb when Toshiba arranged to pick the recorder under an 'out of warranty repair'. True to their word they picked it up and I have just received it back, 10 March, full working condition and an apology from them for the inconveinience.

Praise why its due. Well DoneToshiba. It is a shame others cannot be so customer orientated.

Yes, a good result.

Good for the OP and great customer care (and good PR) for Toshiba...

But BAD for Currys who wormed out of their responsibilty (yet again) when they could have done exactly the same thing on the OP's behalf - thus gaining themselves the good PR and retaining a satisfied customer!

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)