Party in OFT case just offered a settlement today

ICY
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5911 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

MAJOR NEWS TODAY

Postie been today with a letter from a Bank, which is a party in the OFT case, which sort of goes like this (me thinks me may be accepting this offer esp as it is for the full claim amount submitted to court)

Dear ...

You v XXXX Bank PLC

Claim No XXXXXXX

WITHOUT PREJUDICE SAVE AS TO COSTS

We refer to the above claim

1. Our defence makes it clear that we believe that the bank has no liability towards you in this matter, is prepared to make the following ex gratia offer:

a) £XXX.00 in charges;

b) £XX.XX in charges interest; and

Please note that the interest element of your ex gratia payment is paid gross, without any deduction of income tax. It is your responsibility to declare the interest on your tax return or, if you do not receive a tax return, to inform the Inland Revenue direct and to pay any tax that may be due.

2. In all circumstances the Bank believes the above to be a fair offer. If you wish to accept the offer please sign and return the enclosed duplicate of this letter, and the Notice of Discontinuance which the Bank will hold as undelivered until payment of the settlement sum has been made to you. Thereafter the Bank will lodge the Notice with the Court. Once the Bank has this signed acceptance from you, we will forward a cheque to you immediatley.

3. By accepting £XXX.XX from the Bank, you agree that this sum shall be in full and final settlement of this case, and of all claims, rights, actions and causes of action (including claims for interest and costs) that you may have against the Bank arising out of or in connection with any issue pleaded in this case. For the avoidance of doubt, by accepting the above sum, you agree not to take any further court action against the bank in relation to this case, except to the extent that any such court action is necessary to effect this statement.

4. This letter is written only in an attempt to resolve this case without the need to incur further time and costs. This letter is thus written without prejudice to the Banks rights and may not be referred to without the Banks written consent.

5. Please note, however that should this offer not be accepted by you, the Bank will refer the Court to this letter when deciding the costs to be awarded in this case. Your attention is drawn to the comments in this regard in leaflet EX307 issued by Her Majestys Court Service (entitled "the small claims track")

6. You should take independant legal advice or contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau if you are unclear on any of the terms of this letter.

Yours Sincerely

Solicitor

This is fantastic news, as the bank are part of the test case, this could be the sign of things to come.

:madgrin:

Wow! It certainly looks that way!

They were the ones that fought the hardest at the start of all this, to capitulate the day after judgment was due certainly implies what they think the outcome is going to be ;-)

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Now it would seem an odd thing to do wouldn' it? Send a full & final the day before a court ruling on the issue?

;-)

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

Hehehehe, guess whos jumping for Joy lol

Wonder what will happen in the other 12 case i have running

See everyone ALL IS NOT LOST the OFT case was not in actual fact the end of the world lol

Well, it was meant to be the end of the bank charge regime - maybe...maybe...

------------

------------

the only person who said it was supposed to be the end dave was Martin Lews

Well any one with the level of publicity you guys have at the moment.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

Well done ICY.

What a great, well deserved, result for you.

Are the Banks backing down? tales between their legs? sorry even?!!!!

Night Owl

Keep up the fight against Bank Charges.

Got Debt problems?

Don't panic, put the kettle on and read this

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

Great new Icy ..... long wait but success. Congratulations.

Looks like they know which way the winds blowing ................. maybe, just maybe all the rest will follow suit ............

And what a victory for CAG, all their advice, info and support may at long last be rewarded. :) :) :)

Excellent news! Not quite sure what they're playing at though?:confused:

Which bank was it? (PM me if you like).

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Post and bank claims... Heres another campaign.

Wonder how many more leters are going through the post.

Are the banks making new job's?

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

Yes unfortunatly i have 2 claims with this bank, and sadly only realised this morning that this claim was not the one for the bank account as i thought, but it is actually for the credit card claim.

However this claim had been stayed by oldham courts on request, so still doesnt make sense why they have settled a claim they hd no need to yet.

I have not tried to mislead anyone by posting this thread, however it is still a good thing (althought not as good as it would have been had it been a bank account claim) in that despite requesting and being granted a stay the bank concerned still made a full settlement with interest. Why would they do that if they knew they were safe for a while longer while the cse was stayed.

Sorry guys i got it wrong (but still a good sign)

:D lets hope they squirm some more

---- oops wrong window

I just got a full offer via Ombudsmen from Bank of Scotland re a credit card claim.

I think, right now, this is where we can do damage. They haven't got a leg to stand on re credit card claims and, though people won't have as many charges, I reckon there are loads of people who don't know you can claim these back.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

True, I wonder if the OFT would ever launch a test case on credit card charges. This would be an open goal IMO, I really couldn't see how late payment & overlimit charges could possibly be dressed up as a service. :p

Thats my thing though if they can't provide any manual intervention with dap request is it a service?

Bank transaction's are automated anyway's arent they.

up to the point where the paper is collected from the sacks by the postman anyways:)