• Tweets

• Just to clear it up, sorry I don't make sense sometimes. I have paid £4000 £1200 of that was suppose to clear the £1200 debt.   Meaning I have sent a extra £2800 on top of my normal mainternance money.   Thank you
    • Try CPR 31.15 Possibly but a party is not compelled to disclose any documents pre allocation
    • Hi, I shown my key worker a letter that was sent to me saying that I owe £1200, she setup a standing order around 2021, this was to pay back money I owed, with my mental health status I have had complex issues to deal with and I just simply forgot about this standing order so it has been running for about 3.5 years acording to my key worker, anyway I'm not worried about the money that was sent that I call a overpayment, it went towards supporting my child's household so I am just happy with that, I am a little sad that I am being told I still owe this £1200, I have sent bank statements over 3 years worth but they have not taken away this £1200 bill and still say I owe it   Thank you
    • She did try contacting EON in the early days of the debt but they refused to speak to her because she could not pass the security checks. She didn't know the answers on an account she hadn't opened?   I also saw this article recently which could be what has happended here: Debt collection agencies in the UK are using fair means or foul to link people to an address where an unpaid debt has been run up, sometimes years after they have moved out The Guardian Anna Tims Mon 22 Apr 2024 The letter from the debt collection agency arrived out of the blue, and it was intimidating. It informed Joshua Simpson* that he owed £2,212 to Octopus Energy, and accused him of ignoring previous requests to settle the bill. If he did not stump up within 14 days, he was told, further action would be taken to recover the money. Simpson checked his Octopus account – it was in credit. Then he noticed the address where the debt had been accrued between 2022 and 2023. It was his childhood home – which his family had sold 18 years previously. "Since I was only 16 when we left the property, I was astonished that they'd linked my name [to it]," he says. "The debt collection agency insisted I provide a tenancy agreement to prove how long I've lived at my current address. I couldn't, since we bought our home. "They are now actively pursuing me for this debt, causing me a huge amount of stress. We are about to remortgage, and if this debt prevents us switching to a better deal, we will face real financial hardship." Simpson had been sucked into the shadowy world of "identity tracing", whereby investigators recruited by creditors seek to locate individuals who have moved home without paying their bills. It is an unregulated sector where anyone can set up as an agent in a back room without a licence, or scrutiny, and use fair means or foul to identify debtors. Reputable companies join a trade association that operates a code of practice, but membership is not mandatory, and mistakes are common. Last year, a teenage boy was chased for a debt of more than £900 by debt collectors acting for the energy company Ovo. A "trace agent" had somehow linked him to the debt because his parents had previously rented the property in question. An investigation by the Observer established that the debt had been run up by a subsequent tenant. The consequences of mistaken identity can be catastrophic. Individuals who are erroneously linked to a debt face, at worst, court action, bailiffs and a ruined credit rating. At best, they can endure weeks of stress and paperwork in order to prove they are not the debtor. It is estimated that 20m identity traces are made in the UK every year, many on behalf of companies that are owed money. Personal data is often obtained from credit reference agencies, which record applications for credit, and details are supposed to be verified with several different sources before being used for debt enforcement. In practice, however, this does not always happen. Simpson's details had been passed along a chain of intermediaries before the demand was issued. Octopus had given the unpaid account to a debt collection agent, which had contracted a tracing service, GBG, to find the debtor................ Full Article: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/oct/04/a-cry-for-help-energy-providers-play-the-villain-in-dramas-to-chill-the-blood ..............The Financial Ombudsman Service, which investigates complaints about financial firms, states that debt collection agents have to produce convincing evidence to link an individual to a debt, rather than rely on names, addresses and birth dates. According to the trade association, the Institute of Professional Investigators, an unknown number of investigators and trace agents are operating below the radar. Many more are merely inept, as data protection compliance training is not mandatory. "We have been campaigning for many, many years to try to get all private investigators regulated," says secretary general Glyn Evans.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HUMBLEMAN vs HFC-WEIGHTMANS COURT ACTION

humbleman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5143 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i would say yes, its a key reference to a case that supports the arguement that a valid default notice is required before they can demand repayment of monies etc

with regards to a counter claim? what grounds were you thinking about C/Claiming on?

with regards to default removal that is something that can be addressed later IMHO

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent posts, very interesting, i wonder if someone could have a look at my thread,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/135558-help-court-summons-restons.html?highlight=restons

against Restons/HFC, i have a deadline to defend till the 27th March.

Any help much appretiated.

Goorooji

Thanks for caring... G

It's never as bad as it seems...

• 4 weeks later...

Received a letter this morning from Weightmans, with a copy of letter they sent to court, saying

we refer to the defendants defence and confirm that our client doesn't wish to accept the same, accordingly the matter should continue as a defended claim.

What are they on about

normal stuff,

they are served with the defence from the court and are given time to decide if they wish to continue or not

they obviously feel they can take the case to court (silly people);)

Hi Humbleman,

I've had exactly the same response today as well!! They also said they will answer my defence with the AQ.

I assume your case like mine was to be stayed next week?? I take it they are trying to buy more time to find our CCA's or worse (faking our CCA's)

Hi Geoff

I had a glance at your thread and saw you posted this earlier today.

In My case I know they got nothing except for a illegible document.

I am really looking forward to seeing this guys in court

This morning got a letter from court that the case has been transferred to my local, together with the AQ.

Now Weightmans has not even bother to supply anything following my CPR request.

I am thinking should I make an application to strike out and removal of default, unless they provide the information.

that's something that only you can decide on mate,

judges don't tend to strike out claims readily so it may be successful it may not. i guess it all hinges upon the strength of your case and the judge that deals with it

Some advice needed to fill the Allocation Q. N150.

Just realised need to drop this in today

Bearing in mind that Weightmans have not sent anything further to my CPR request and HFC have only sent me an illegible agreement in reply to my request last February, what do I fill in the following question

under Case Management I have ticked Small Track what reason can I put for this since the amount they claim is around £18k

What do I need to fill in F Proposed Directions.

In the ************* County Court

Claim number **********

Between

************* - Claimant

and

xxxxxxxxxx - Defendant

Draft Order for Directions

The Claimant shall within 14 days of service of this order send to the Defendant and to the Court:

• Copies of the Credit Agreement and any documents referred to within it which complies with the consumer Credit Act 1974 and all subsequent regulations, which the claimant seeks to rely upon
  • Default Notice compliant with s87 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) as amended,
  • fully particularised breakdown of how the figures claimed accrued including details of any late payment charges
  • Copies of any statement or other document relied upon

If the Claimant fails to comply with this order, the claim will be struck out without further order.

The Defendant shall within 14 days thereafter file and serve the following

• An amended defence sufficiently particularised in response to the documents supplied by the claimant

If the Defendant fails to comply with this order, the Defence will be struck out without further order.

Ok, as for the actual directions i would suggest that you print the above out on A4 paper, amending the name and claimant details etc,

i will be back after the school run to go through the rest of it

as always quick on the draw Paul thanks.

Can I also add to this a bt about them removing any adverse information from my credit files.

Do I just print and send this off with the AQ and/or make a seperate application, is there any fees payable.

Hi Humbleman.

Paul's link here helps with the presentation of the AQ.

My understanding is you only need to pay fees if you are making a counterclaim - check that though i may be wrong!

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

as always quick on the draw Paul thanks.

Can I also add to this a bt about them removing any adverse information from my credit files.

Do I just print and send this off with the AQ and/or make a seperate application, is there any fees payable.

No there are no fees payable, i will draw up some other information for the Section I other information part of the AQ

you just attach the docs i post to the AQ on seperate paper but we will make a reference to them on the actual AQ itself so you wont need to make any applications

now, what questions are you ok with and what ones do you need help with, ask away:)

Paul

I am going to fill the AQ I got on line

I need to fill a bit about why it should go for Small track

under proposed direction do i fill yes where it say 'have you attached list of direction'

What do i fill under I other information

Please find the following attached to this allocation questionnaire;

1) Section I - other information

2) Draft order for directions

This allocation questionnaire and its attachments were sent to the claimant on **/**/2008.

in box I on the form itself, put the above

and

XXXXXXXXXX -v- XXXXXXX

Claim No: xxxxxxxxx

N150 Allocation Questionnaire

Section I - other information

If the court is in agreement, the defendant respectfully requests that special directions may be given as per the attached draft order.

The defendant proposes these directions in mind of the Overriding Objectives, and in particular the duty of the parties to help the court further them. The issues outlined below are the crux upon which this claim rests, and the proposed directions identify these issues and will allow them to be assessed in advance of the hearing so that this claim may proceed justly and expeditiously;

without production of the requested documents, I am at a disadvantage and am unable to serve a proper defence. Failure of the claimant to supply the requested documentation will make the case much harder for the court to deal with, as without production of the requested documentation it will inhibit the courts ability to deal with the case

Also the claimant has failed to show how the figures claimed are calculated, no particulars are offered as to how many penalty charges are included within the figure or what contractual provision the charges are made under, again until such information is provided I cannot reasonably plead to the claimants claim

It is important to note that this is a claim brought under the provisions of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Since this is a Consumer Credit Case relating to a Consumer Credit Agreement Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, for the court to consider enforcement of such an agreement, the agreement must be produced before the court, and further more, for the court to be able to consider enforcing such agreement, the agreement must be in compliance with the Act and inter alia the Consumer Credit Agreements Regulations 1983 SI 1983/1553

The claimant has produced a document claiming to be the credit agreement but it is so illegible and not in compliance with regulation 2 Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1557) as it is so distorted that it cannot be read. Therefore it stands to reason that the claimant needs to produce a legible copy of the agreement .

The House of Lords in the case of Wilson v First County Trust Ltd - [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) made it clear in paragraph 29 of LORD NICHOLLS OF BIRKENHEAD judgment

29. The court's powers under section 127(1) are subject to significant qualification in two types of cases. The first type is where section 61(1)(a), regarding signing of agreements, is not complied with. In such cases the court 'shall not make' an enforcement order unless a document, whether or not in the prescribed form, containing all the prescribed terms, was signed by the debtor: section 127(3). Thus, signature of a document containing all the prescribed terms is an essential prerequisite to the court's power to make an enforcement order. The second type of case concerns failure to comply with the duty to supply a copy of an executed or unexecuted agreement pursuant to sections 62 and 63, or failure to comply with the duty to give

notice of cancellation rights in accordance with section 64(1). Here again, subject to one exception regarding sections 62 and63, section 127(4) precludes the court from making an enforcement order.

Its is respectfully requested this case be allocated to the small claims track, it is a straight forward case and is easily resolved on production of the required documentation by the claimant, should the claimant not have the documentation required to progress this case I suggest that there will be no case to answer

Therefore it stands to reason that these documents must be disclosed before this case can progress any further and it is with this in mind that I request the court make the necessary orders to assist me to deal with this matter

Now im not sure that this can be done online, ive personally never heard of it.

i guess that you will need to check with the court and take it from there

Why should it be small claims...............

well, quite simply, this case is a straight forward case and easily resolved upon production of the compliant credit agreement

the legal arguments are not complex, infact they are very straight forward and simple and could be dealt with in quick time providing the claimant supplies the requested information in the directions and that the information supplied complies with the CCA 1974 and the regulations made under the parent act as laid out in my defence

Paul

I am going to fill the AQ I got on line

I need to fill a bit about why it should go for Small track

under proposed direction do i fill yes where it say 'have you attached list of direction'

What do i fill under I other information

Hi Humbleman.

I've just tried doing this but the form doesn't actually save when you fill it in?

I have rung my local court and they've said i can fax it. This is a relief as my little one is at home poorly!!

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

Hi Humbleman.

I've just tried doing this but the form doesn't actually save when you fill it in?

I have rung my local court and they've said i can fax it. This is a relief as my little one is at home poorly!!

If you have MS Office, (or with some OS's, these days) you can print a copy of the MS Office Document Writer and then save the completed form as a TIFF or a MDI file. Handy when you need a copy too.