Can they do this?

spudder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have now entered into a DMP and they have this week contacted our creditors with offers of payment. I have opened a new bank account as my previous bank is one of the people we owe.......my partner has so far remained with her bank (lloyds) and she has no direct debits set up on her account. She owes on a lloyds mastercard and we are wondering if they would take money from her account to pay the monthly instalments on this - we assume they cannot as they have no authority from her to do so, but can someone confirm this is correct, otherwise she will have to move her account or the family tax credit which gets paid into it will have to be paid into mine. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi there, it might be best to check the terms and conditions with the Lloyds mastercard. I seem to remember one of the banks (Barclays I think?) have a t&c whereby they can take money from your bank account to cover credit card payments. I'm sure someone with more experience will be along shortly to advise.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

lloyds took money from my current acount to service the unpaid payments on my credit card before they agreed a payment plan. Not sure if they were entitled to and did not fight it as it was before I was aware I actually had rights

As has been previously stated the bank have the right to off set. It would be best if your partner opened another bank account with another bank or even a post office account. Basic bank accounts can be opened quite quickly with either no or very minimum credit checks. For more information about basic bank accounts have a read here

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

We have now entered into a DMP and they have this week contacted our creditors with offers of payment. I have opened a new bank account as my previous bank is one of the people we owe.......my partner has so far remained with her bank (lloyds) and she has no direct debits set up on her account. She owes on a lloyds mastercard and we are wondering if they would take money from her account to pay the monthly instalments on this - we assume they cannot as they have no authority from her to do so, but can someone confirm this is correct, otherwise she will have to move her account or the family tax credit which gets paid into it will have to be paid into mine. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi spudder

As a matter of urgency I would get your partner to move everything to your account for now and then open up a basic bank account of her own.

Whether she gives permission or not be aware that her bank will remove funds to pay her credit card. It is called the right to offset and all banks have this hidden away in their terms and conditions.

They do not care if it is tax credits, sickness/invalidity benefit, whatever, they will take the money they want. I have read too many horror stories about people losing the only money they had for food for a whole month and then receiving unlawful charges because the bank had swiped whatever they wanted before anything else was withdrawn from the account, so the downward spiral into deeper debt occurs.

You may be thinking surely they cannot do this and because I have been a loyal in-credit customer for donkeys years they wouldn't dream of doing this to me......wrong!

It is nothing personal, purely business, but once they get an inclination that something is not as it was concerning your finances, they will nail you to the floor and make sure they get everything first.

Right, thats my rant over, I haven't said all this to scare you, just to make you aware of what will happen.

How do I know all this?

Its been happening to me since last June:x

Kind regards

Santos

Springfield