Council Car Park Fine - Can I appeal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5922 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

Received a parking fine in my local council car park today, parked there all day having done so many times in the past for £3 a day. I put my £3 in got my ticket, displayed in the window, and come back to find a fine

As I was in a bit of a rush this morning I didn't look to see if the prices had changed (why would I?) and unfortunately didn't look at the expiry time on the ticket! Needless to say I now have a £60 fine to pay, do you think I would have any grounds to complain on the fact there price has increased and they haven't made it obvious?

Also checked the contravention codes, and I think they may have issued the wrong one;

82 - Parked after the expiry of time paid for in a pay & display** car park

83 - Parked in a pay & display** car park without clearly displaying a valid pay & display ticket**

I was given an 83, but in actual fact it should have been 82, I know its a minor detail, but I begrudge paying them £60 for what was a 50p difference in ticket price!!

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Greg

(EDIT: Forgot to mention I have a ticket from the end of last year, which was £3 for all day parking)

If there are no obvious signs that the price has increased then I would appeal. Just changing £3 on the board to £4 I don't think is fair, they should have signs saying 'Price increase' to make you aware of the fact.

If you notice on the road they put warning signs up saying 'Road layout ahead changed', they should do the same with price increases and not sneak them in so they can make extra revenue.

As you have an old ticket you can show that your not a one off parker, but having read lots of threads on here, I would expect them to turn down your appeal.

Have a read of this.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Have a read of this.

Ouch what a bunch of merchant bankers. Flies in the face of those who argue that this is not a revenue gathering exercise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch what a bunch of merchant bankers. Flies in the face of those who argue that this is not a revenue gathering exercise.

Well we know that everything attached to council and government is only to make money. Despite machines that give change being around for over 30 years, they still install ticket machines that will not give change and must make a fair mint from that alone.

To answer the OP's question,

Yes you can appeal if you can make out a statutory ground.

IME chances of success will relate directly to the amount of effort you are prepared to put into a forensic analysis and argument relating to the enforcement process and putting this above - but alongside - the common sense arguments, plus a bit of luck and reliance of the LA being slack and being prepared to risk the undiscounted penalty.

The first step is to scan, wash and post both sides of the PCN.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.