Self-inflicted, grrr.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5908 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I didn't think I would qualify for Council Tax Benefit, though I have been meaning to check for a while.

I finally did check with their calculator online last night, and it turns out that I should be able to get 40-45% off my bill, and so by my own fault, have wasted a huge amount of money which would have been better in my pocket than theirs. :mad:

Let this be a warning to all: Don't assume, check. You just never know. :oops:

Is it possible to reclaim some of the council tax you have paid?

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

I am sure I read something about reclaiming overpayment of council tax somewhere. Not sure where though. I'll have a wee snout about.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

Just about the banding - sorry. But I think that it is worth a try, you never know. :-|

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

Hard lesson. But the plus side is it will be in your pocket from now on. :D

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

...I finally did check with their calculator online last night...

No, you can ask for it to be backdated, but you need a good reason and in my experience, they never ever do it.
???...Some experience then eh...of ONE day in trying??...:rolleyes::p

...:D

No, my dear wind-up merchant, it may surprise you, but in the leafy suburbs of Surrey, a) there are actually many people who claim housing/council tax benefit and b) I started helping people with their claims/problems long before CAG. Since CAG, I just reach further afield. :-D

She wants fake, non sugary chocolate, rather than the proper stuff such as milk tray.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Sir Martin Lewis of MSE land, is on,

It pays to watch, tonight 7.30pm, talking about council tax.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

No, you can ask for it to be backdated, but you need a good reason and in my experience, they never ever do it. :-|

They did for me.

When my house was unoccupied (for 7 month), I had no idea I wasn't eligible so paid it as normal.

However, a change convo with someone in the pub (as it always is) brought it to my attention that I should have paid it.

Phoned them up and they said, "No problem, we'll send you a cheque."

Of course the cheque didn't turn up, until I was harrassing them about 4 times a day for it.

Finally did get it though - 5 months later!

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was both right and wrong:

They didn't backdate the claim (not good enough reason). :mad:

But my claim has been assessed at close enough 100% rebate, for the past year, it works out that my total liability was about £7!!! :shock: big fat juicy rebate cheque of nearly £200 owed to me, and by gum, it will be coming in handy at just the right time!!! :-D

(Mr BW is sulking because of all those months we could have saved ourselves a big chunk of our income going out... :razz:)

well done Bookie, and tell his nibs to shut it and get on with the important business of waiting on you hand and foot ;):D

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

...my claim has been assessed at close enough 100% rebate, for the past year, it works out that my total liability was about £7!!! :shock: big fat juicy rebate cheque of nearly £200 owed to me...
Another CAG success story eh!...;)

Feel free to consider making a voluntary donation to CAG, in recognition that WE have helped U achieve a financial return that U wouldn't have otherwise thought possible...:p

Any small financial contribution by yourself, will help this website continue to survive + be able to provide much needed Consumer Advice for those that are least able to afford it + who perhaps need it most.

It might be beneficial for others who are in a similar plight to what U were re: Council Tax Benefit, if U could maybe retrospectively Post your progress as U successfully went through each stage of the Appeal Process??...:idea:

I hope that U also choose to 'stick around' + help others who may follow in your wake...:)

...:grin:

Funny you should say that.... :razz:

I have been mulling for the last hour about the appeals process. For things like Disability Living Allowance, for example, the success rate at appeal is staggering, which has led to the conclusion that DSS says "no" by default, near enough, and that as soon as it gets in front of an independant tribunal, the claim then gets assessed properly. :rolleyes:

Anyway...

I am wondering whether it would be worth appealing against the non backdated part, and thinking about the possible arguments I could use.

I'll let you know on what I decide to do, of course. But thanks for the support, MTM. What would I do without you? :razz:

...thanks for the support, MTM. What would I do without you?
No probs BW...Am glad that CAG has been of some help!

If U need some further help re: Scanning your Docs + Posting them, don't be afraid to ask for assistance if U struggle to manage it.

...Not everyone is 'Au Fait' with computers!

...:grin: