Marlin outstanding debt Confused

whitenat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5355 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, i sent a cca request to marlin on the 21/1/08 for a debt that is about 6 years old i think (its my partners) they replied back today asking:

Marlin bought the debt of gmac.

"In order to process your request, we require proof of your signature, for example, photocopy of your driving license.

Please foward this evidence to out office"

I'm not going to sent this as they shouldn't need a copy of the signature, should i just sit on it until the 12 days plus 30 days is up?

I have only done one cca request before and won, but thay never asked for this info???

Confused please help.:confused:

nope they dont really need it and I wouldnt like to say what they actually want the signature for, if it is over 6 years then the debt is probably statute barred anyway, if they have written to you there and have always written there then they are just playing fast and loose.

Hang on there is a letter that you can send

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

here you go, at the top of the letter put "I ACKNOWLEDGE NO DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY"

Dear Sirs,

RE Account NO XXXXXXXX

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/2007 the contents of which are noted

In your letter you make reference to requiring my signed authorisation before you comply. I draw your attention to the fact that the Consumer Credit Act 1974 does not require that i supply you a copy of my signature before you comply with my S78 request.

If it is for Data Protection purposes then i can happily supply you with documentation to substantiate my identity to you.

However please note that to date you have happily sent statements and correspondence containing extensive sensitive private information to my address. I have to ask if you are concerned that you are corresponding with the correct person why has it taken so long to raise this?

As you are aware, disclosing data without adequate checks of identity is contrary to the 7th principal of data protection, listed in schedule 1 of the Data protection Act 1998:

7. Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.

My request for a true copy of my credit agreement under section 77/78 was made on xx/xx/2007 and the 12 working days for your compliance expire on xx/xx/2007. I note that there is no provision that removes the requirements of the act to provide this information on time, even if you are unsure of my identity.

i look forward to receiving the documentation requested

Regards

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi I would wait the 12+2 working days plus the calender month before I would do anything. Then if they fail to comply I would send them letter to say that they are in default and you recognise no debt to them.

all the best dpick:)

received the post very late today, and received a letter from them.

I sent a letter telling them that they didn't need a signature from me.

their reply was

" Before we can procedd your request, we do, for data protection purposes require proof of your identity and signature"

what now??? do i just sent proof of who i am a no signture.

Any document you send proving who you are is likely to have your signature on it, isnt it ?.. ie your driving licence / passport ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Why not send them a signature font from word, I use bradleys hand size 16 in navy colour...

Just write saying please accept this as my authorised signature, and remind them the date the account will be in dispute

It would be interesting to see what they do with that?

Live Life-Debt Free

• 2 weeks later...

i, eventully sent them a letter back with a copy of a tax letter showing that i do live at this address and they sent a reply

"We acknowledge receipt of you letter, We can understand your reluctance to send us a copy of you signature"

and then go on to say that to bring the case to a close we need to have a copy of the signature.

what shall i do now????

the 12 day is well up and so is the 30 days so wah tnext???

If this were Capital One I would say that they are giving you a load of C*R*A*P or words to that effect just wait it out and if the don't send you anything then send LBA for none compliance.

all the best dpick:)

Thansk for that both of you.

The time limit is up so ill wait a bit.

Who are the LBA???

LOL, sorry white nat.. not Who.. what !!.. LBA = Letter before Action. :grin:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Marlin are definitely playing for time, they don't need your signature at all. If they do insist, then sending a printed font siggy would be fine, they can't argue with that :D

Mr & Mrs Ananya's story so far -

Welcome Finance - account closed - no CCA - 02/07 - £1500

NatWest - settled in full 09/06 - £600

NatWest - settled in full 06/07 - £72

Verso - Settled in full 07/08 - £2002

C.K. Edrupt/Provident - account closed - no CCA - 04/07 - £640

Littlewoods/Shop Direct - 2 accounts closed - Statute Barred - 04/10 - £800

D.C.A.s who've given up so far -10

Marlin are definitely playing for time, they don't need your signature at all. If they do insist, then sending a printed font siggy would be fine, they can't argue with that :D

Dont send any signature of any kind, they don't need it.

Just hate every DCA out there

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

hi, Its been a long time but.....................

Marlin never got back to me at all last year but I received a letter from a company called BDR (bramber Debt Recovery) who r a trading style of Marlin Financial services (that whats at the footer of the letter).

So what i did was request the CCA which they sent back with in the time frame.

What should i do now???

this debt is well over 6 years old and i thought that they could do nothing if it was that old and i hadn't made any contact with them.

Someone please help.

Thanks

Send them this if it's over six years old;

Dear Sir/Madam

Acc/Ref No

You have contacted us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by ourselves.

We would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

We would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that “it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

The last payment of this alleged debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that “continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970”.

We await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed and that no further contact will be made concerning the above account after that last letter.

We look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Mr A N Other

Print Name do not sign

LOL

Branber are Marlin?

I got one of those "ring us urgently at this number" DCA "waste-of-time-ograms" from this team of "professionals"

looks like I'm going to be earning a few "£12 per letter" fees I'm starting to levy for having my time wasted!!

Marlin must be the biggest joke of the lot