I am going to court on thur (6th July), help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6356 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

oh and zooman i hope you won today! x

ABBEY Total £1277 First Claim £687 hearing date 6/7/06

BOS Total £1069

RBS 3/7/06 Statments arrived

NW Waiting on Statements Data Protection Act UP!!

SENT NON-COMP 28/6/06 sent letter to Data

Protection Act manager

Total £2286

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mumofthreeboys

Very well done manolo, you sound like you really stood up for yourself and knew what you were talking about.

Guan yersel Manolo - keep at it. Some good evidence is noted in the Govan LC step 3 letter. have a read on their site govanlc.com and see what you can get. I got some email help off of Mike Dailly off that site aswell, very helpful.

Good Luck

Bank of Scotland

Letter asking for Statements - 24 Apr 06

Recieve Some Statements - 29 June 06 (rest recd. on 18th Jul)

Planning claim - 30 June 06

Preliminery Letter Sent 3rd July 06 - claiming £4143 (recorded delivery)

Standard letter recieved - no offer - 13 July 06

LBA sent 18 July 06 (signed for on 19th)

Recd. phone call 21st July 06, offered £210 then £600. Refused.

Moneyclaim Online submitted for £4398 (11th Aug 06)

Letter rec.d informing of full reimbursement within 5 days (23 Aug 06)

MBNA Credit Card

Planning claim - 2 Jul 06

Letter asking for statements sent 3 July 06 (recorded delivery)Preliminery letter sent recorded 8th Aug 06

Sent LBA 22 Aug 06

Applied for RBS parachute account - 3 July 06

More details needed, posted current statemets - 12 July 06

Account open - 14 july 06

Does this mean we should begin to send copies of the terms and conditions to the courts as well as the breakdowns of charges?

RBoS:

Student Current Account: £300

Current Account: £100

Total = £400

• Statements requested 3/4, Received 26/4.
  • Pre-lim letter sent for both accounts 29/5.
  • 'Bugger-off' reply received 7/6.
  • LBA Hand delivered to Branch Manager 9/6
  • Reply received and ensuing email conversation terminated 21/6.
  • Claim Filed with Edinburgh Sheriff court 27/6.

• Return Date is 01/08, Hearing Date 08/08!
  • Letter REcieved 2/8 offering £280, Declined.
  • Phone call same day offering full amount + fees.

RESULT!!

i am definatly going to go see the in court advisor and email the gov website, to get as much info as poss. Feeling quite happy with myself as i can pull a lot of other things into proving that these charges are penalty charges, such as the amount of profit they make on charges etc

BOS Total £1069

Protection Act manager

Total £2286

ewan i am not sure about the terms and conditions, i am hoping a mod can clear this up a bit later on.

BOS Total £1069

Protection Act manager

Total £2286

Well done, Manolo!

I am sure one of the MODs will be back to you today, but my opinion (and it is just my opinion) is that surely the case is not for YOU to prove these are penalty charges, but for Abbey to prove they are NOT?

Only they can prove how much the costs amount to...

This is a very interesting development, and I will be really keen to hear what the MODs think...

Abbey - 547.00 settled in full.

Second claim: £204 WON.

Barclaycard - 142.88 incl interest due WON BY DEFAULT as they didn't even bother entering a defence. Barclaycard paid up £184.88.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

Capital One Concluded £148

Kinda disappointed I've no more banks to go after now...

Give Me It Back, that's what I was thinking, surely the onus is on the Bank to prove the charges are reasonable and right not us to prove they are not?

Perhaps the initial DPA response will show no manual intervention and as such all charges were applied by an automated service, which could not possibly cost £39 for each letter .....??

T

I will not be held liable for any advice/comments given... if in any doubt please consult professional advice.

HBOS Acc1 - Small Claim Filed 31/07/06 - WON -21/8/06 - MCOL -06/09/06 - WON 13/09/06

HBOS acc2 -Small Claim Filed 02/08/06 - WON 13/09/06 - Round 2 Prelim Letter sent 14/09.06 - LBA sent 27/09/06 - MCOL 16/10/06

HBOS acc3 Prelim Letter sent 14/09/06 - LBA sent 27/09/06 - MCOL 16/10/06

God I can't believe more people aren't interetsed in this thread its fantastic and you've done great Manolo!

NatWest - Settled in full 22/05/06

RBS- Prelim sent 9/05/06 £1,147

£500 offer 27/05/06, rejected 30/05/06

LBA sent 25/05/06 :razz:

MCOL 15/06/06

Defence received 20/07/06

Settled in full 01/09/06 wahey!!!!!!!!!

Hey manolo,

Well done - you go girl! I'd be so scared but you have done so well in not pulling out so far - I'm not sure I would've had that confidence!

If I can help in ANY WAY - please let me know.

meagainstrbs

It does concern me that it was the JUDGE who put that onus on you, Manolo... Have you telephoned yet?

I think this has serious implications.

Barclaycard - 142.88 incl interest due WON BY DEFAULT as they didn't even bother entering a defence. Barclaycard paid up £184.88.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

well done manolo for keeping up the fight :D

NatWest Account Opend

My Accounts

--------------

BoS

Sent Data Protection Act request - 5/7/06

Abbey

Sent preliminary aproach for repayment £532 - 22/7/06

LLoyds Tsb

Capital One

Any advice and opinions of mine, are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability and some times not always correct use your own judgment and seek advice of a qualified insured professional if in any doubt

Hi Manolo, must congratulate you on your performance today, sounds like you told them as it is, I must say I am personally dissapointed as this is yet another stalling process these people are playing. But hey ho, justice will prevail. With regards to you submitting evidence to confirm charges were penalty charges,

5) Separatim, the defenders charges represent an unfair penalty charge in terms of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI. 1999/2083) (the ‘UTCC’). The pursuer’s contract falls within the ambit of Regulation 5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI 1999/2083) as the pursuer is a consumer. The defenders charges constitute an unfair penalty under reference to paragraph 1(e) of schedule 2 of the said regulations:

Indicative and non-exhaustive list of terms which may be regarded as unfair

1. Terms which have the object of effect of-

(e) requiring any consumer who fails his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation’.

Reference is made to the following three cases from the Office of Fair Trading’s Unfair Contract Terms Bulletin 21 (July to September 2002), issued in May 2003:

OFT case 15 – Kids of Wilmslow Ltd.

Clause 7 of the company provided for the supplier to charge interest on unpaid fees at an excessive rate above the bank base rate. Also unclear as to how the interest would be charged. The OFT amended the clause so interest was charged on unpaid fees at 3% per annum above the bank base rate. Further, an administration fee of £10 per letter sent concerning unpaid fees was deleted.

OFT case 18 – Legal & General Franchising t/a Parker Estate Agents.

A commission clause had the potential to allow the estate agent to charge a penalty fee for late payments. The OFT revised the clause to reflect the company’s practice of charging 8% per annum or the current rate of county court interest on late payments.

OFT case 4 – Dampcure-Woodcure/30Ltd.

Clause ‘W’ had the potential to impose a high financial penalty of payment was not received within seven days of the date of invoice. The OFT revised same to make clear that interest will be charged at 4% above a high street bank rate per annum if payment not received within 7 days of the date of invoice.

Accordingly, the defenders are fairly compensated for unauthorised lending by the imposition of their unauthorised overdraft interest rate. The imposition of further charges is unfair in terms of the UTTC. Reference is made to guidance issued by the OFT on 26 July 2005, which stated that 'a charge is likely to be disproportionately high if it is more than a court would be likely to award if the lender sued the card/account holder for breach of contract'. The court is asked to declare the imposition of the defender’s charges as unfair and irrecoverable in terms of the UTTC.

Sorry about the wording but ive just copied it from my "details of claim", now is the above not evidence which could be submitted, also could you not bring to the courts attention the fact that your bank have settled similar cases in the past.

Just to add:

The law relating to penalties has been established through case law. The cases date back to the nineteenth century and the courts have been consistent in the way that they have ruled on penalty clauses.

Wilson v. Love (1896)

A tenant farmer agreed to pay an additional rent of £3 per ton by way of penalty for every ton of hay or straw that he sold off the premises during the last 12 months of the tenancy. The clause was regarded as a penalty because at the time hay was worth five shillings a ton more than straw.

Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co. Ltd. v. New Garage and Motor Co. Ltd. (1915)

In the particular case, the judges held that the sum specified in the contract was reasonable and was classified as liquidated damages. However, in this case, Lord Dunedin laid down rules which are still applied today in these types of cases:

i) The sum is a penalty if it is greater than the greatest loss which could be suffered from the breach – in other words, if it is "extravagant and unconscionable".

ii) If it agreed that a larger sum shall be payable in default of paying a smaller sum, this is a penalty. Ford Motor Co. v. Armstrong (1915)

In this case, the judges reached the conclusion that the sum to be paid for a breach of the contract was substantial and arbitrary and bore no relation to the potential loss of the other party. It was, therefore, a penalty.

Bridge v. Campbell Discount Co. Ltd. (1962)

In this case a customer bought a car under a hire purchase agreement. He paid the initial and first payments and then cancelled the agreement. The company tried to recover the sums specified in the contract for canceling the agreement, but the courts held that the sums payable were excessive and constituted a penalty clause. It was, therefore, unenforceable.

Murray v. Leisureplay (2004)

Mr Murray was sacked by Leisureplay and he claimed three years' salary as per his contract of employment. The courts decided that this clause was a penalty clause and he was not entitled to this level of damages.

There have been several other cases over the past century. Any good book on contract law or business law will contain references to "penalty clauses", "penalties" or "liquidated damages" cases and a discussion of the law.

Hope this helps!!!!

Regards o0oLiamBeeo0o

Prelim Req sent 12 June 2006,

LBA sent 26 June 2006,

Confirmation of court action sent 24 July 2006,

Court return date 20 October 2006 - LTSB did not reply,

Court hearing date 27 October 2006 - Decree granted in my favour,

Recall of decree recieved 16 November 2006,

1 December 2006 assigned as recall of decree,

26 January 2007 assigned for full proof hearing,

16 January 2007 1st offer recieved and declined,

23 January 2007 2nd offer accepted, awaiting monies to hit bank account

All advice & opinions of o0oLiamBeeo0o are personal opinions, if in doubt seek advice from a qualified professional !!

vvv My Thread vvv

well done you!! you must have been really nervous, but you did it all by yourself... post as soon as you have phoned to let us know what the script is!!

lisaxx

if i have helped you at all click please the scales on top right!

ABBEY

11/4 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) SENT OFF

1/6 LBA SENT

22/7 LETTER SENT REQUESTING THEM TO REFUND CHARGES

15/7 STATEMENTS RECEIVED (ALL 6 YEARS WORTH)

20/7 CLAIM ISSUES IN OLDHAM COUNTY COURT.

8/8 CLAIM ACKNOWLEDGED GIVING THEM TILL 21/8.......

SETTLED IN FULL!!!!!!!

T MOBILE i won!

16/6 Data Protection Act SENT OFF

5/8 t mobile have failed to comply with the Data Protection Act/S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) reques ....BRING IT ON BABY!!

7/8 LBE SENT GIVING THEM 7 DAYS TO COUGH UP MY CASH

7/9 FULL REFUND BEEN SENT!!

Could a MOD please respond to this with comments please?

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

well done Manolo!

Also to add to others comments, if it is the bank that sets the terms and conditions by which we are supposed to abide, why do YOU need to supply THEM with a copy of that contract? Surely they have a copy!

I no longer keep a copy of the contracts I made with the banks I am suing, they were made 10 years ago! Where are we supposed to get copies from? The bank?

Sky x

BOS - Prelim letter del 19/5/06 LBA del. no response - filed 12/06

Clydesdale Financial Services - Gave them their chances off to court we go!

HSBC - Watch out I'm coming after you next!

If you like anything I say click the scales!

I completely agree, Skyrocket. It all seems a bit peculiar to me... I can't see why the Judge has even entertained this.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

Could a MOD please respond to this with comments please?

I know nothing about Scottish law so I am not well placed to comment on how things operate north of the border. However, it does seem strange that they would ask the claimant (or pursuer in Scottish :) ) to provide a copy of them. This is clearly a point for manolo to clear when she speaks to the clerk if we haven't come up with an answer beforehand.

This might be a variant of the Nat West fob off where their standard defence is to ask the claimant to specify which terms in the contract are unfair. At worst this can only be a delaying tactic because, after all, it's the bank that is using a breach of the terms and conditions to levy charges. The question that I would ask the bank is precisely which of the terms and conditions a bounced payment breaches. The fact is that any charge leviied to remedy a breach that is disproportionate to the cost of remedying the breach is a penalty and unlawful.

Someone raised the question of who has to prove what. The small claims track (and again I don't know how this works in Scotland) works on the basis of the balance of probabilities. The claimant doesn't have to prove beyond any reasonable doubt but rather that it is more likely than not that the charges are unlawful. As I said this may work differently in Scotland.

And they said that i had failed to submitt a copy of the terms and conditions to either the court or themselves(didnt realise i had to do this, but will send them in tomorrow if someone can confirm this) and because of this they would like the trial to continue where evidence can be submitted.
Manolo, I would not waste a millisecond worrying about this. It is laughable to think that they're going to stand up in court and complain that they haven't received a copy of their own terms and conditions. If I were you I would go into your nearest branch and pick up two copies of their terms and conditions. Send one of them in to the court (don't forget to include the case number), marked as "additional information". Put a short explanation, along the lines of "These are the defenders terms & conditions" in your covering letter. Once you've done that, send the other one to the bank, along with the following letter:

Case No. XXXXXXXX

Dear sirs,

I write in relation to the above matter. Please find enclosed additional information which I have today lodged with the court.

Yours faithfully

Manolo.

Job done.

I take it their defence rests solely on the terms and conditions argument? If so, then you're probably experiencing a new tactic, which is to take it to the second hearing, on the basis that the first can be pretty terrifying. If that is what's happening, you can expect a condescending letter from them in the next couple of weeks offering partial settlement.

A word of warning. Lawyers generaly file things with the court at the very last minute - i.e. five minutes before the court closes on the day of the deadline. They do this for the very good reason that it's difficult to unsubmit something once it's in the system, and if the circumstances happen to change once its been submitted it causes all sorts of problems. It also has the effect of seriously ratcheting up the pressure on anyone not used to it. So be prepared. If they make an offer it will probably be as close to the date of the next hearing as they think they can get away with, in the hope that in the meantime you'll get in touch with them, either to drop it or offer settlement of your own.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

One other thing. Don't worry too much about submitting to any demands from Abbey. This is your case and now that it's in the system the sheriff has a duty to protect your interests. You're NOT expected to know either the law or the court's procedures, so the sheriff will go out of her way to be as flexible as necessary to ensure that the case is heard on its merits. This is an important protection for you. If there's a bit of paper you haven't filed, or the wording on something is wrong, the sheriff should give you the opportunity to correct the situation, as well as give you guidance on how to do it.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

oh my goodness, thank you everyone for replying, so much info on here i am going to have to sit down and read it all properly. Not really taking it in just now. I am going to phone the in court advisor tomorrow and book an appointment to go see her. I too thought it was strange that the defendents wanted a list of the terms and conditions. i too now see it strange that the judge told me the next case will be for me to prove that these charges are penalty charges(that was the only thing she said) i am the one accusing them, surley they should be trying to prove me wrong. I think i will have loads more questions but cant think of them now. Oh all my evidence, does that all have to be submitted to the courts and Abbey lawyers?? I am no where near ready to submit it yet as i want to make sure i have every single thing possible so they have no way of arguing against it!! Also Robertxc do you mind if i pm you with question as i think of them, will need a few things cleared up after i talk to the incourt advisor, , bit unsure if they are trying to say that i have breached the terms and conditions or that i have not and thats why they are charging me! Going to sleep now as my brain hurts. post back tomorrow. Once again thanks for all the support and information x

BOS Total £1069

Protection Act manager

Total £2286

Thanks MODs. I'm sure Manolo feels a lot better now. I know I do! Robert is absolutely right in saying that it is laughable that they would claim they haven't seen a copy of their own ts and cs! However, I would play their little game anyway.

Manolo - you mentioned 'gathering evidence'. What do you intend to submit?

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6356 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks