Lowell Portfolio 1 - Unique Case Help Required

Riolas
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been living outside of the country for appoximately 5 half years now.

I still have a Credit Card that I pay every month, the statements being sent to my father. Two months ago I changed my address to my brothers.

Late last week he received a letter from LOWELL PORTFOLIO 1 asking to confirm my old address (The one I lived at before I left the UK) to my brother's address.

The reason I think they are asking, after reading the forums is because I had a Barclay card with about £100 balance on it that I believe I failed to pay in the confusion of moving.

So, my questions are:

1. What can they do to me while I am living abroad & what do I do?

2. What will happen when I return (Within the next 3 years)?

3. What do I instruct my brother to do?

I really appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Hi Riolas and welcome to CAG. I have removed your duplicate thread in order to keep all advice on your situation in the one place.

I assume Lowells have not confirmed what the debt is in relation too, in which case you should file the letter under ignore. You do not get in touch with them until they identify exactly what it is about and even then you do everything in writing.

They can not discuss the matter with your brother as this would be a breach of the Data Protection Act. Remember DCA's have absolutely no legal powers.

In a further 6 months this debt will be statute barred as you have left a forwarding address in the UK rather than done a bunk to a foreign country and the debt can no longer by legally enforced.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Suppose that they were contacting me for the debt on the barclaycard that I stated and they have a copy of the original credit agreement etc where do I stand?

Can my brother inform them no-one of that name resides at that address (This is true, I don't - I just use his address for my credit card statement)?

If they wish to persue it, can they invoke a CCJ against me if I don't pay the balance? Can they issue a court summons if I don't reside in the country?

As I previously said, It has been about 5 years since I was in the UK.

I am not an expert in this field, please help.

Thank you.

You need to wait it out because they will follow it up with a letter telling you how much they want out of you. If its for B'card (they appear to have bought up a ton of B'card debts) then it'll give the last 4 digits of the card and the amount they're asking for. At that point you'll be able to recognise if it was your old card or not. Undoubtedly if it is your card, that £100 will have quadrupled and more by now.

Wait until you see what they come up with. It may not even be you they are after. The Barclaycard they may be referring to could be an old one. If they prove you owe the money AND they have a right to collect then you can come to an arrangement with them.