Help with Bristows

RK08

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4972 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a debt with the Council for council tax, this has been passed onto Bristow and Sutor and in September last year a Bailiff came to the house. I was at work and my wife let them in and came to an agreement to pay £166 per month. Yes you guessed it she signed a levy. We owed £1090

we payed the amount per month via telephone and with the added 4% charge for using a debit card up until Christmas when we missed a payment. On the 8th Jan a Baliff attended with a van to remove goods. We were both at work but he telephoned my wife on her mobile saying that if we didnt pay £530 immediatley they would break in and take our goods.

I paid this over a mobile telephone to the bailiff and he said that the new agreement would be £100 per month for 5 months with a final amount of £186 total amount £1196. This included a charge of £230 for the visit with a van. The first payment would be due on my payday.

As payday arrived i telephoned Bristows to make the payment. I was immediatley told that i would have to pay £186 + 4% for using my debit card as the £86 should have been paid on the 14th Jan. This wasnt to much of a problem so i paid it. I concluded by saying that i would call again next payday to which the reply was no the agreement is £100 per week.

I disputed this but was told that the Bailiff had put down £100 per week and if i didnt stick to it they would break in and take my goods. I even asked to speak to the Bailiff but was told that they make upto 40 calls a day and he wouldnt remember. I tried to make another agreement with them but again they said no, it has to be £100 a week.

I have read most of the threads and immediatley contacted the council, the woman was very nice but stated that they could not take the debt back and Bristows could demand the money as they see fit.

At the time of arriving to recover goods the bailiff left their standard letter with a mobile telephone number that no longer exists and a bailiff name of just asim.

Is there anything that i can do, obviously if i dont pay £100 a week they will turn up again with a van and charge another £230. If i could afford £100 per week i would'nt be in this mess.

Your post above, clearly demonstrates why we advise on our website that you must never allow a bailiff into your home and agree a WP.

This is the most common complaint that our office deals with each day.

I the first instance would you send me by PM ONLY the name of the bailiff who agreed the WP so that I can search to ensure that he is certificated.

I will then respond with advice.

• Haha 1

After contacting tomtubby i have sent a letter to B & S by email and post outlinning all of their charges so far. I t appears that they may have added more charges than allowed and hopefully i will get them back which should wipe out most of the debt.

B & S have now changed their mind on the £100 per week and are allowing me to pay £200 per month (wow thats generous of them) Hopefully this will not be necessary if as suspected the amount they have charged me in additional fees are wrong.

Thanks tomtubby i will keep you updated

I recieved an email from B & S today saying they are looking into it.

Dear Sir

Further to your email below the contents of which have been duly noted.

Your complaint has been passed to our compliance officer who will reply within 15 working days.

Yours faithfully

Mrs XXXXX

We will have to wait and see