Do you need a parachute account?

barracad
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4888 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hmm. Lloyds are usually OK about things, as their cash account is really basic. They even restrict their cashpoint cards to their own ATM's.

I'm just applying with Citi, as they are supposed to be reasonable too, but they do seem to be somewhat harsh if you are careless with the account, so if I do opt for them (if they accept me), I'll need to make sure I don't do anything silly. I'll let you know how it goes with them. Yours is obviously an extreme case, but as the bancruptcy has been discharged for so long, it's difficult to see how they can hold that against you.

Having said all that, they might not close you down anyway. A&L were recently hammered (well, £125 isn't exactly hammered, but the point is made) for retaliatory closure of someone's account. You might like to ask Nationwide to bear that in mind if they do threaten you with it.

Seahorse

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mfpa If your licence is a photo licence then call their bluff.........

The Information Commissioners Office & the FSA are now saying banks should NOT encourage customers to send original documents through the post.........& should accept verified copies

Just an old paper licence so it really was nonsense.

BTW, what are "verified copies"?

Halifax (current accounts, credit card, old mortgage, secured loan)

thread here

MBNA (three credit cards)

thread here

firstdirect (a current account, two mortgage accounts, old loans, old credit card)

they've sold my current account. thread here.

Royal Mail

Claim issued by former employer Royal Mail, thread here.

I counterclaimed and won. They paid in full.

Don't know if any of you are a member of a credit union, I am a member of one through were I work and they have just started doing current accounts with a debit card. I thought I would give it a try and apply, thinking that I won't get one as I have tried the high st banks, & and all I could open was a basic account. Well on Friday I got a letter to say I had been accepted and today my new visa debit card came through the post.

NatWest

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent - 02/01/07

Statements received - 15/01/07

Prelim sent - 24/01/07

LBA sent - 15/02/07

Claim filed in court - 20/03/07

Court date received for 26th June - 01/06/07

Received offer for full & final settlement from Cobbetts - 22/06/07:D :D

Capital One

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent - 26/06/07

Statements received - 03/07/07

Prelim letter sent - 17/07/07

Letter received - 07/08/07 - WON!!:grin:

A verified copy is a copy that is verified as being authentic to the original by an officer of the court A Solictor, Magistrate, Judge or a Police Officer or even a Clergyman

Oh, yes. The term for that I have previously heard is a certified copy

thread here

thread here

firstdirect (a current account, two mortgage accounts, old loans, old credit card)

Royal Mail

Well, the FOS had a guy on Watchdog tonight banging on about the way folks are treated by their banks when they make a claim. And the FOS advice, live on BBC mind, is to complain to the FOS. And they WILL act. Now that's a bit different from what seems to have been happening in general previously, so perhaps there is hope now after all that they will start to take these complaints seriously. and we'll see less of this pettiness from the banks.

It's certainly been a day of surprises, what with the Nationwide announcing that they intend to scrap unfair charges in favour of fee paying accounts. :)

Seahorse

Well, the FOS had a guy on Watchdog tonight banging on about the way folks are treated by their banks when they make a claim. And the FOS advice, live on BBC mind, is to complain to the FOS. And they WILL act. Now that's a bit different from what seems to have been happening in general previously, so perhaps there is hope now after all that they will start to take these complaints seriously. and we'll see less of this pettiness from the banks.

It's certainly been a day of surprises, what with the Nationwide announcing that they intend to scrap unfair charges in favour of fee paying accounts. :)

Seahorse

No but it's anyones guess when they will get round to anyones claim considering they are overwhelmed by the number of complaints......Oh almost forgot recovering interest either contractual or s69 is NOT part of their remit.............Even when they get round to handling your claim you WILL still be worse off.............so much for that chocolate teapot

Then why ask!

Because I had not encountered the term verified copy and didn't know if it would be the same thing as a certified copy.

Sorry.

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

Gah!

Scuse the rant, but I'm a homeowner, with no missed mortgage repayments, no overdraft, no late payments in the past 6 months, and my only bad stuff is two satisfied defaults from 2004 and 2005.

And Citi have turned me down! :x

I assume it's cos I've moved house a lot in the past few years. Curses, nontheless!

They were my shining light at the end of my tunnel! So for now I'm stuck with my Halifax Electron card and the hope that they don't close me down! Ach well.

CrapitalOne - SAR Sent 06-02-07 / SAR sent again 03-02-12 / Prelim sent 20-03-12

HSBC - SAR Sent 12-03-07. SAR sent again 03-02-12

BOS Mastercard - SAR Sent 03-02-12 / Prelim sent 20-03-12

Barclaycard - SAR Sent 09-02-07 / Prelim sent 12-03-07 / Partial offer recd 16-03-07 / New Prelim sent 27/03/12.

Black Horse - SAR sent 03-02-12 / Big load of bumf arrived 07/03/12

Halifax - Statements requested 30-01-07 / 153 pages of statements arrived 06-02-07 / Prelim sent 10-02-07 / LBA sent 01-03-2007 / Partial offer recd 07-03-07 / Full offer received (after phone call) 08-03-07!

• 1 month later...

ok- i've just been declined for citibank account- my last hope. What next? Any ideas gratefully received

I've beat HSBC, GE Money and Abbey

Court pending V Barclays and Time Retail

just requested application pack for yorkshire building society cash transactor account- it has no formal credit check and allows dd which is what i'm after. will update when i have news:)

I've beat HSBC, GE Money and Abbey

Court pending V Barclays and Time Retail

Just to let you all know, I applied to Royal Bank of Scotland for a current account and was declined after credit check. They would not even offer basic account. After reading this thread, I tried the Clydesdale and was accepted for a basic account. You do have to visit a branch, can't do it online and they only do a basic credit check which will only decline if you have any judgements or bankruptcy showing. So I am happy now, step 1 complete. Time to start sending the letters!!

So if you have a Clydesdale Bank nearby, it is definately worth a try.

Christine

Have just applied online for a Natwest Step account, I have a ccj for non payment of a debt. It said accepted in principle - does this mean they will write in a few days and tell me no, once they check me out?

Hi all,

Just thought I would share my experience of basic accounts (seem to have become a bit of an expert!!)

I had a Natwest Step account (with Solo card) a few years ago, but they closed this down when they transferred my student account to a DCA

Last year I had a Co-op Cashminder account (Electron) which was all fine and dandy until they closed it down last month... apparantly they have a 3 strikes and you're out rule (I responded to their letter to this effect with my own reclaiming the charges ;) )

I have since applied for a Barclays basic account (declined). a Lloyds cash account (accepted, cash card only - can only withdraw from lloyds machines) and a Halifax Easycash (accepted, electron)

My credit rating is rather apalling, but I have no CCJs. I think the reason barclays declined me is because I have a monument creditcard (owned by barclays) which has been overlimit/in arrears for years!!

The easiest to open was Halifax, all done online and hassle free. Lloyds was over the phone, and they were really nice, although getting the online banking set up was a bit of a mission. Neither seemed to mind that I had opened 2 accounts, and having them both is making managing my money much easier.

All the a/cs mentioned accepted SOs and DDs

HTH

Fizz

Hi,

Went into my local branch of the Yorkshire Bank. Unlike most Basic Bank Accounts, a 2-in-1 Maestro Card is offered (it's not a cheque guarantee card) and the person I spoke to seemed nice and interested in trying to help me.

People might have different views about the Yorkshire Bank, but unlike Barclays (which will be closing down my accounts), I felt like a person rather than a cash-cow.

Hi,

I wouldn't necessarily tell people to avoid the Co-op altogether (although they aren't my favourite people at the moment!!)

But... if you're like me and likely to forget the odd DD every now and then, you should bear in mind this rule. I think you can get away with bounced DDs as long as you don't get 3 in one month (mine were in january, you think they would have given me a break as it was just after xmas!!)

Fizz

if you're like me and likely to forget the odd DD every now and then

I avoid DDs as much as possible. With certain payees it can cost a little extra (as they like having carte blanche to empty customers' bank accounts) but generally speaking, bouncing one DD on them in a year will more than wipe out any savings you make for agreeing to use DD.

After all, better not to let the banks get their sticky mitts on your dosh in the first place (-;

thread here

thread here

Royal Mail

Couldn't agree more, unfortunately common sense isn't my forte and it usually takes me a while (and numerous charges) to learn from my mistakes! :o

I have now turned over a new leaf, and on my new account I have set everything up on SO (except my mobile which is still on DD) and everything goes out on payday so there's no risk of anything bouncing... I hope!