here we go......

toadsRmylife

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4983 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, some advice needed if anyone has the time please! To make a long story very short..3 years ago i left England and went to Cambodia, i intended to teach English and be ...well.... better off than i was in England! So much for plans... ive spent the last three years volunteering for an organization that helps to reintegrate street children back into their society, earning $500 ( that’s US dollars!)per month. When i left England i made sure that there were three instalments in my Lloyds account to cover a personal loan. Ultimately, at the beginning of 2004 i defaulted, i think that at the time the settlement figure was around 6500 pounds. It was never my intention to default, i tried and tried to contact the bank from Cambodia but no joy. This was the third consecutive loan from Lloyds TSB, but the only one i have failed to pay, they have had their pound of flesh many times over. I have now received a letter (via a friend) from Credit Resource Solutions that goes like this:

“.....Dear Mr Runner,Ref: Debt Outstanding 8,333.99 Account number xxxxxxxx

We are instructed by JB debt - Thames Credit LTD (Lloyds bank) in connection with your outstanding debt of 8,333.99. Our client has requested us to prepare legal papers in this case, however they have given us a short period of time to negotiate a settlement with you.If you are able to make a one off payment i am able to offer you a substantial discount to the balance owing.

Please call me immediately on the following number. 08707 355 333Your debt can be cleared with a credit card or switch transaction over the telephone

If you are unable to make a one off payment you may still suspend Legal Action by making a payment arrangement with us to clear the balance by instalmentsPlease call me,Sarah Monroe,Debt recovery department....”I

replied by recorded delivery with a request for a CCA and a full statement of my account. I also instructed them to send this to my forwarding address in the uk (very reliable), as i am not currently resident, but will be moving back soon (finally saved enough money!).I have so many questions.... my time in Cambodia (very stressful – it wasn’t a holiday) coupled with the stress of knowing that im in deep financial trouble in the UK has left me with a heart condition. For all my efforts, i return to the UK with no savings/assets at all. I have no job and nothing to sell. I am seriously considering bankruptcy. I am able to make them a modest full and final settlement offer (thanks to the willingness of friends to help – i would have to borrow money from them) of about 1000 sterling. What i really want to know is

1) How do i know that they are actually authorised to collect the debt? I mean, if i settle with them, how do i know that ‘thats it’

2) If they can’t produce the CCA and are therefore unable to enforce (unlikely) if i make a settlement offer anyway, is that seen as acknowledging the debt? (thus removing any advantage gained)

3) I am terrified that when i get back to the UK if they get my home address they are going to harass me day after day whilst i am in the process of trying to get on my feet

4) By sending a CCA request am i just ‘poking the monster’? or was that the right thing to do..any help, from anyone would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys,toads.

Hi

You have done the right thing in asking for a CCA. All you are doing at the moment is asking the DCA to prove that they have a legal right to collect the debt from you. When they send it to you(if they can find it) we can take it further then.

Tip us a wink on my scales if you think I may have helped at all;)