BCW.. a little advice needed

p0gie

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4971 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there.. been browsing through the forum and I must say... nice site.

I am after a little advice. I moved to the US in March after getting married and am now a permanent resident here. I plan to move back to the uk in around 5-6 years so I kept my Capital One account and Bank account open in the UK registered to my parents address. Both are in good standing.

The problem arises in the last couple of weeks. I got a message from my Dad around a week ago that a company called BCW had called and said to call them and gave me a reference. After looking up who BCW was on this site I decided to ignore it, called my parents back and told them if BCW called again, to tell them I do not live there (true) and not to call back. Yesterday they called my parents house AGAIN, despite being told I did not live there this time leaving a different number and not saying who they were. Surprise surprise I look up the new 0871 number on google and its them again.

My mother is forwarding some mail over to me so I assume they have written to my parents house also.

I had some debt and money problems a good while ago.. I had the young, just got a decent job and can have credit cards mentality from when I was around 18-22 and went through a bad spell (I'm now 32 and have learned that lesson).

Once I get these letters should I actually respond to them? I am assuming they are of the standard threatening variety. Can they actually do anything considering my present location and more importantly can they take any action against my parents based on the fact that my bank statements go there? What do I do if they keep calling because this is obviously concerning for my parents?

Any pointers in the right direction would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there

I wouldn't worry for now until you receive the letters - they should give you some more information and then we can give you some advice on how to proceed from thereon in.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

This must be upsetting for your parents and I would suggest that hey use Call Barring or even change their phone number. I don't how using them as a postal address would involve them other than they have the hassle. You could inform your bank that you now live in the US and have your corespondance sent to you. As for everyone else, I would simply have your parents to write not at this address on the letters and put them back in the box.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.. got the letters.. and as I thought they are of the threatening variety. They are trying to claim £2844.37 for a Barclaycard visa I had around 12 years ago on which the credit limit as £1250!!!!

I composed the following letter using the templates. Is there anything else I should do.

Addresses/etc.....

With reference to the above agreement, I would be grateful if you would send me a copy of this credit agreement.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Sections 77−79), I am entitled to receive a copy of my credit agreement on request. I enclose a payment of £1.00 which represents the fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act.

I understand a copy of our credit agreement should be supplied within 12 working days.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with a request for a copy of the agreement under these sections of the Act.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

PS. My address is listed above. Please refrain from sending any further mail to my parents address at xxxxxxx. Despite being told I am not at this address on more than one occasion you continue to call. Any further calls will be regarded as harassment and treated as such.

Ok.. got the letters.. and as I thought they are of the threatening variety. They are trying to claim £2844.37 for a Barclaycard visa I had around 12 years ago on which the credit limit as £1250!!!!

If it's over 6 years since you last acknowledged any debt on this account, either by making payment or a proposal for payment in writing, then the alledged debt is statute barred. This means that no legal action can be taken on the account to enforce it in any way. While they can initally ask for payment if you say no that should be an end to the matter. It is considered an unfair practice to do otherwise. If this is the case the letter to send them would be template M from the link here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.