Stop paying? CCA request & Cabot

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5770 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I have been paying Cabot for the past 6 years but found out recently that of the £600+ I have paid them the oustanding balance has only been reduced by £99:mad: ....then I found this place:D

I am going to send a CCA request in the next couple of days but my question is should I continue to pay them my monthly installments until they actually default...after 12+2 days presumably....or do I stop paying them as soon as I've sent the CCA request as I am putting the account in dispute?

I am due to pay them next on the 7th Feb.

You can legally stop payments after the 12 working days + 12, although if you dispute the account in it's entirety, it's up to you whether you decide to stop prior to this date.

If you want to see what is happening with your payments, a SAR first might be a way to go so that you can see exactly what has been happening on your account for the last 6 years.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Okay....

I wrote to them recently asking if they were charging interest or fees of any kind

and all they sent me was about 20 pages of a spreadsheet showing what the balance was when they purchased the account

and what I had paid them on what date.

..which I already knew..

.but nothing to say how they had used that payment or what interest had been charged.

This is what made me so mad as they never reply to anything I ask them

which is why I want to do the CCA as I feel it's time I got the upper hand.

I am concerned that if I send of the CCA request say tomorrow

and then send them a cheque as usual next week

they might just be sneaky enough to use info off the cheque against me,

but I don't want to stop paying them before I am legally allowed to

as I don't want them to have any ammo against me should they actually come up with the CCA.

Perhaps I should wait until after I have paid them on the 7th to sent the CCA?

Send a postal order too.

This is certainly one thing you must get sorted. It's all very well being honest and paying what you an afford because it's the right thing to do. The problem with that, as you have found, is you'll be paying them until your dying day, because they seem to just gobble up everything in fairy story interest that they quite simply have not proved they can charge.

I'll just bet any interest that HAS been charged bears absolutely no resemblance to any rate mentioned in any agreement that you MIGHT have signed.

They've played you for a sucker long enough. Time to fight back. Deffo SAR as well as CCA them.

• 4 months later...

Just a quick question....I was perusing a post about default notices and in particular one by pt2537 which sets out the "proper" form for a default notice. My question is that if a default notice does not conform to this then does that mean that the DCA never had the right to ask for payment as the account wasn't actually in default?

After reading pt2537's post I went and checked all five of my default notices and although (sadly) 3 of them seem to be correctly executed, 2 of them clearly are not, one of them has already given up and gone away but the other is from Cabot (associated credit card actually issued default) and they have been very quiet for a couple of months now as they couldn't find my CCA, but if they sold the debt on or came back to me would it give me a good defence (in addition to the lack of CCA or in case they find the CCA?):confused:

Sorry no-one has answered yet.

But if you PM Paul (pt2537) and include a link to your thread and ask him to have a look, he may be in a position to answer.

Idax

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Thanks Ida....I may just do that:) Having heard nothing from Cabot for a while I got a letter from them yesterday and I am still deciding what action if any I need to take. I like to be prepared you know;)