Under paid 2nd month running - £600 now owed please help.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4979 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter works in a well know store who have a cafe attached to it. The cafe is run by a seperate company, two months ago my soon to be daughter in law's wages were massivley short - she was given £160 for the month and he wage was meant to be £580. Took them a month to give her the correct money in her next wage slip.

Last month my daughter was meant to have approx £900 - instead she only got £600 and no wage slip (lost in post). Have demanded a copy of this as I know by law she must have it - however, boss out on hols till Thursday so cannot address that till then.

She was informed the underpayment would be in this months wages - she recieved this months wage slip and again is the original £300 short as well as a further £300 (or so) exact figure to be worked out tonight. So they hnow owe her approx £600 or so.

I have penned a letter saying that they ave 48 hours to produce Dec wage slip and a further 7 days to provide her with a check for the owed wages ...

is this enough?

should it go further?

after the 7 days and there is still the amount unpaid (going by daughter in law's experience) where do we stand and what can be done?

It would be a good idea to mark the letter as a letter of grievance so that the matter can be bought to the Employment Tribunal if it comes to that. You have 2 litigation options- grievance the underpayment then raise the matter in the ET after 28 days, or just bring a small claims action for breach of contract.

From a more practical point of view, any business which has cashflow problems that result in employees not being paid is probably going to go into liquidation soon. Your daughter should look for another job.

Sorry, being really stupid here, how do I mark it as a letter of grievience? The company she works with is a well know company and I am not worried at this point about them dissapearing. I am concerned my daughter yet again is out of pocket and that this cannot continue.

Your daughter should have (or have access to) a Company Handbook which should outline the neccessary procedure for raising a grievance. However, I would suggest something along the lines of the following:-

(Date)

(Payroll/Employee Reference Number)

FORMAL GRIEVANCE

Persistent Underpayment of Wages

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am employed as a (position) at (name and place of work). Further to raising this matter verbally with my immediate manager, and having been given an assurance that the problem would be resolved, I unfortunately now find it neccessary to raise a formal, written Grievance as I am still not satisfied and would appreciate your prompt attention in order to rectify my complaint.

When I received my salary last month, I was extremely upset to have been underpaid by (amount), having received (amount) instead of (amount). I was also concerned that I did not receive my wageslip. When I reported this to (person & position) I was assured that my wages would be corrected and that I would receive the underpayment with my next salary payment on (date). I was also informed that my wageslip had gone missing in the post, so asked for a copy to be sent.

Hopefully you can imagine my shock and distress when receiving this month's salary to find that not only have I not received the promised reimbursement of last month's underpayment, but also that I have been underpaid again this month, receiving (amount) instead of (amount). I am therefore seriously out of pocket through no fault of my own, as my wages are currently (amount) in arrears.

Naturally you will understand that as this represents a significant amount of money I am unable to wait yet another month for this to be paid. As I have financial responsibilities which cannot be delayed further, I require this money to be paid to me by BACS within the next 7 days. I do not feel that in the circumstances this is unreasonable, and would be grateful if this could receive the appropriate attention as a matter of urgency.

It would also be appreciated if steps could be taken to investigate where the problem has arisen and to prevent it happening in future, as in addition to the above two instances of underpayment a similar thing happened in (month) when I was underpaid by £420 and was forced to wait a month for reimbursement. Clearly there is a recurring problem which I feel is unacceptable for a company of this size.

Thank you in anticipation of your prompt attention.

Yours faithfully,

(name)

I would address this to the HR Director by name (if possible)

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

You are welcome. Thought it might be that company (have edited it out now). Let us know the outcome.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!