Forgot to declare SORN - can we avoid the fine

EasyTarget
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4942 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

,if the car is off the road write a nice apoligy and explain it was a complete oversight and you really are not in a position to pay ,due to financial hardship and could they please consider your request also phone them with your apoligies i have found they really do listen and if you have extenuating circumstances and on any sort of dissability they will write it of and send you a letter

patrickq1

When you say classic car do you mean over 25 years old? I thought they were exempt from road tax anyway?

:p Wanting out of the red and into the pink! :p

If I've been nice please tip my scales. If I've been naughty, tip 'em twice! ;)

CURRENTLY CAGGING -

NatWest Bank - no response to S.A.R - (Subject Access Request), 40 days passed

Natwest CC - no response to CCA, 12+30 days passed. Calls continue, I ignore.

Sainsburys CCs x 2 - Current T&Cs rec'd in response to CCA request. Letter sent re lack of prescribed terms. Calls continue, mobile set to auto ignore.

Capital One - Copy application form rec'd in response to CCA. Letter sent re lack of prescribed terms. Standard final response received. Calls continue, I ignore.

Oops, it appears my knowledge is a bit behind on this...

according to Introduction to Classic Cars and oldclassiccar.co.uk

zero rated roadtax applies to any car *built* prior to 1/1/1973

CURRENTLY CAGGING -

Sainsburys CCs x 2 - Current T&Cs rec'd in response to CCA request. Letter sent re lack of prescribed terms. Calls continue, mobile set to auto ignore.

Capital One - Copy application form rec'd in response to CCA. Letter sent re lack of prescribed terms. Standard final response received. Calls continue, I ignore.

Do you have to keep renewing?

We have a car that's been sat in the garage for a few years and will be for a few more, we filled out a sorn form when we got the car, but I am sure we have not had any reminders should I be worried?

Sorry to hijack your thread but you have me worried now

Oops, it appears my knowledge is a bit behind on this...

according to Introduction to Classic Cars and oldclassiccar.co.uk

[/size][/font][/size][/font]

Yes, that was a sneaky Gordon Brown trick. So now, instead of cars over 25 having paid their dues, they have to have been build prior to 1972 (which at the time was 25 years) - how many cars will still be on the road in 20 years that were built prior to that date? Not very many I would bet.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Hi all,

Thank you for the advice. The car is 1978, so not Tax exempt and is garaged. It seems like daylight robbery to me. £80 for not filling in a form. £10 might be more reasonable. I can't see on what grounds £80 is justifed.

Hi all,

Thank you for the advice. The car is 1978, so not Tax exempt and is garaged. It seems like daylight robbery to me. £80 for not filling in a form. £10 might be more reasonable. I can't see on what grounds £80 is justifed.

Tell them you filled in a SORN form on xx date and posted it to Swansea, suggest that it must have got lost in the post, but that you have done the correct thing and borrowed someones computer and gone online to do it immediately.

Go now to DVLA Online Vehicle Licensing | Home with the reference number from your V5, do the SORN, then post them the letter about form getting lost in the post.

Interesting fact that I didn't know, thanks Pat :)

CURRENTLY CAGGING -

"Tell them you filled in a SORN form on xx date and posted it to Swansea, suggest that it must have got lost in the post," Do this - i have! - 2 or 3 times over the last few years and its always worked.

• 2 weeks later...

well my first comment so hi to all :)

i purchased a car in october which was sorn as it was a none runner got fine through today i know the previous owner and personally declared it sorn via the web to which a letter confirmed should i have re-sorn when the owner transfered as i cant find anywhere which tells you to do so??

well my first comment so hi to all :)

i purchased a car in october which was sorn as it was a none runner got fine through today i know the previous owner and personally declared it sorn via the web to which a letter confirmed should i have re-sorn when the owner transfered as i cant find anywhere which tells you to do so??

Taken from dvla's website under the FAQs:

I am buying a vehicle and the previous keeper has already declared SORN. Do I have to do anything?

Yes. As the new keeper you are required to do one of two things:

· Apply for a tax disc

Or

· Declare SORN from the date of acquisition, as SORN is not transferable.

Guest 10110001
Yes, that was a sneaky Gordon Brown trick. So now, instead of cars over 25 having paid their dues, they have to have been build prior to 1972 (which at the time was 25 years) - how many cars will still be on the road in 20 years that were built prior to that date? Not very many I would bet.

That worries me now. I was given a 1931 Rolls Royce Phantom I in 1982 by a family friend in his Will after I showed an interest in it as a child. I still have the logbook but I've never updated the RK address when I moved over the years. I mothballed it in 1983 after it appeared in the TV miniseries AJ Wentworth BA. I had it expert-restored in 1989 and it took park in several vintage car rallies (not driven by me) still showing it's 1974 tax disc.

Its one of two classic cars I have, the other, also inherited in 1992 is a mothballed 1983 De Lorean DMC-12 (never driven, doesn't go), and neither are SORN,

Whats likely to happen if I updated the RK to my present home address? Would I get years of backdated SORN fines?

I think you need to change the RK address immediately I am sure that you could get a fine for not doing this but don't quote me on that.

Regarding the sorn do it now on line, our classic was declared sorn but until I read this post I never knew it had to be done every year, we have just completed the paperwork on line and got confirmation from DVLA it's now SORN again and thankfully no fine.

That worries me now. I was given a 1931 Rolls Royce Phantom I in 1982 by a family friend in his Will after I showed an interest in it as a child. I still have the logbook but I've never updated the RK address when I moved over the years. I mothballed it in 1983 after it appeared in the TV miniseries AJ Wentworth BA. I had it expert-restored in 1989 and it took park in several vintage car rallies (not driven by me) still showing it's 1974 tax disc.

Its one of two classic cars I have, the other, also inherited in 1992 is a mothballed 1983 De Lorean DMC-12 (never driven, doesn't go), and neither are SORN,

Whats likely to happen if I updated the RK to my present home address? Would I get years of backdated SORN fines?

Don't worry. Taken from DVLA's website under FAQs:

The last tax disc on my vehicle expired before 31st January 1998. Do I have to declare SORN?

No. SORN was introduced for vehicles that had tax discs that expired on or after 31st January 1998.

Guest 10110001

Ive just phoned DVLA.

The RR and DeLorean don't need to be SORN because they've been off-road since before 1992 and VERA didn't become law until 1994. They aren't worried about the RK but commented the numberplate ownership should updated because it's probably worth more than the car.

If either is put on the road, then I will need to zero tax, or declare SORN each year thereafter.

Interestingly the DVLA say the RR was built in 1928 even though the documents say registered new in 1931. It's probably the RR factory storing their cars because of the Great Depression.

Never knew that! DVLA actually being useful!

Edit: gwc1000: looks like you beat me to it.

Interestingly the DVLA say the RR was built in 1928 even though the documents say registered new in 1931. It's probably the RR factory storing their cars because of the Great Depression.

It's also entirely possible that RR built it in 1826 and shipped it as a chassis to the body builders. This was quite common at the time.

Of course, it wouldn't be registered until the body work was complete.

,if the car is off the road write a nice apoligy and explain it was a complete oversight and you really are not in a position to pay ,due to financial hardship and could they please consider your request also phone them with your apoligies i have found they really do listen and if you have extenuating circumstances and on any sort of dissability they will write it of and send you a letter

patrickq1

I did that,it got me nowhere.I phoned them up,was advised to put in writing why I had declared my old car SORN late.Yesterday got a letter saying i was deemed liable for the £80 fine.I aint paying it.What can they do?

Ive just phoned DVLA.

The RR and DeLorean don't need to be SORN because they've been off-road since before 1992 and VERA didn't become law until 1994. They aren't worried about the RK but commented the numberplate ownership should updated because it's probably worth more than the car.

Indeed, make sure you have a (new style) V5C showing your correct name and address.

DVLA say they won't, but many of us in the vintage vehicle fraternity think that their next trick will be to try and deny the registration plates of vehicles where the owner doesn't have a V5C in their name. There are already rumours that the V765 scheme is to cease.

Hope you get your docs through very soon, and the best of luck with your vehicles should you decide to put either on the road.

Guest 10110001

I havnt really kept up to date with vintage car ownership, but i'll certainly bear this in mind.

I dont anticipate putting them on the road for the moment, other priorities...