Help Needed please my daughters debt

mum558
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All, I really need some advice on how to deal with my daughters debts.

My daughter was evicted from her home last year, i have bailed her out so many times, now I am not in a postion to help her any more.

When she was evicted last year she was living with a partner away from the home, however she was assaulted and became the victim of domestic violence, she had no where to go so i did the mum thing and have allowed her to come home to sort herself out, she now has a job be it part time and not brilliant money.

I have now been informed that she has a letter from Wescot Credit services saying that if this matter is not dealt with by the 30.01.08 the company will get a baliff to recover the debt. This debt is a telephone company and on the letter it says that there is an admin charge of £72.45 bringing the total to £362.24.

How do I stand with this company? as this is my house and she is not even paying any rent at the moment, are the allowed to enter my home legally?

She does not have any goods or shackles as they have stated as they have stated in the letter they will take, these were all taken when she was evicted. I would be very grateful for any advice you can give me

many thanks a worried mum:sad:

Mum558

If the debt is in your daughters name, then there is nothing anyone can do to you personally, they cannot seize your goods, issue a charging order against your property or anything. even if they wanted to do so against your daughter, they would have to go throught he courts first.

If you wish to assist you daughter, then you can do so, safe in the knowledge that they are blowing steam, you are not liable for your daughters debt and as such if they threaten you with anything at all, contact trading standards and complain.

A rule of thumb with these people is not to speak to them on the telephone, they tell lies then retract them later, ensure all communications are in writing only. if they insist on calling you, simply say "in writing only" then hang up.

they are not allowed to add their own charges to the debt, it is against the rules.

• Haha 1

Hi there, this must be very distressing for you. First of all, please be assured that Westcott cannot send a bailiff to your house, this is simply a threat and typical of all Debt Collection Agencies. There would need to have been a County Court Judgement against your daughter before bailiff action could be enforced. Assuming there is no CCJ, then, as I said, they are just trying to frighten your daughter. As stated above, the debt is in your daughter's name and therefore you cannot be responsible for it or made to pay.

Do you have a copy of the letter?

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi spamheed,

thank you for your reply Phew!! I feel like I can breathe once again!! I do want to help my daughter so she is able to get back on track, but it is so difficult to get to grips with all of her debts.

Though we have sorted most of the creditors out and she is paying small amounts each month. od ones like this seem to be appearing from the woodwork. I appreciate your help and will do as you advise.

many Thanks

Mum559

Mum558

Hi Ell-enn, thank you for replying to my plea for help.

I do have a copy of the letter at the moment it seems there is no CCJ against this debt. i am unsure as to how to proceed with this would it be best to speak to the phone company? and ask like the other creditors to accept a small payment each month?

I do appreciate your help on this.

Many Thanks

worried mum

Mum558

There is a good chance the phone company would just tell you Wescot are dealing with it - and DON'T speak to THEM under any circumstances - all you will get from them is abuse and threats. If you have a caller display function on your phone, lift the phone then hang up if the number is unavailable - for good measure I usually leave it off the hook and let them run up their phine bill! Everything in writing - a golden rule. Ignore the threats in the letters - they cannot do anything without a court order.

• Haha 1

Hi there, if you can negotiate with the telephone company and get them to agree that would be good. Do not, under any circumstances, telephone Westcott - they will say anything to get you to pay and can be aggressive in their demands. If you are apprehensive about contacting the original creditor, go to the Citizen's Advice Bureau and they will be able to help you negotiate.

I do hope you manage to sort out your daughters affairs soon and that you both get some peace of mind - you never stop worrying about them do you, no matter how old they are;)

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

• Haha 1

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi mum558 :)

Please try not to worry, although I know this is hard. The advice you'll receive on here is excellent and everyone is here to help.

Good luck and chin up!

• Haha 1

Mr & Mrs Ananya's story so far -

Welcome Finance - account closed - no CCA - 02/07 - £1500

NatWest - settled in full 09/06 - £600

NatWest - settled in full 06/07 - £72

Verso - Settled in full 07/08 - £2002

C.K. Edrupt/Provident - account closed - no CCA - 04/07 - £640

Littlewoods/Shop Direct - 2 accounts closed - Statute Barred - 04/10 - £800

D.C.A.s who've given up so far -10

Hi Ell-enn,

We will not ring the Westcott, I am just pleased to hear that they cannot come into my home at all, My daughter is going to send a letter to the phone company asking if they will accept a small payment each month until this is paid, what about the extra charge of admin westcotts have put on to the bill, will we just ignore this? Thank you so much for your kind words, as you say you don't stop worrying about them no matter how old they are. when you don't have anyone else to consult on these issues it is pretty difficult, my daughter says It isn't any of my buisness but when it affects my house I think it is.

Many Thanks for you help

Kind Regards

mum558;)

Mum558

Thanks Pinky69,

I have taken on board what you say and tell my daughter not to contact them, My daughter is writing to the phone company to ask if they will accept a small payment each month from her. Thank goodness for this wonderful website you people are truely great

thank you

mum558:)

Mum558

Hi Mum558, just one point - make sure your daughter send the letter recorded delivery so the telephone company have to sign for it, that way you'll definitely know it's got there. You can then check on-line at http://www.royalmail.com and print off the receipt. You never know when you might have to prove you sent it and they received it!

Kind Regards

Ell-enn