• Tweets

• No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

need advice re enhanced crb checks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5024 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all i have been working in a pre school for three months now and they have given me the form to fill in for an enhanced crb check. well thats fine i have no criminal convictions but my eldest daughter managed to escaped out of our garden when she was two and i had to call the police , they found her within minutes but i had a letter from my local county council saying the police had passed my details on to them and that they would be keeping the incident on record (although i rang up and said why would you do that is was just a big accident that was one of those things and they said it is standard procedure and that it cant be removed) well now i am worried as will it show up and if so in what format as i would rather they disclosed exactly what happened other than just putting bumph about my family being on the councils records, i cant remember which department the letter came from as it was a long time ago now! any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there, if you are concerned about what information will be disclosed on the crb check you can ring the Criminal Records Bureau information line on

0870 90 90 811 or visit their website at Criminal Records Bureau - Home Page. They will be able to answer any questions you have about your particular situation.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

hi i have been on the website but it is no help at all will try ringing them i have also emailed the council to ask for there opinion, i cant understand why the would want to keep something so trivial on record as its not like im a bleedin paedophile or anything is it!"! infact i remembering being fuming when the letter arrived as i felt like i was being treated like a criminal she got out of the garden by standing on her bike and climbing over the fence !

CRB check is just that - a criminal records bureau check. if you do not have criminal convictions, it will nto matter what the council have on file.

Unfortunately, this works both ways for those people who are known to put children at risk and yet have not been convicted of an offence.

I would rest easy about it - the council had a duty to keep a record so taht they could build up a picture in case your child was ever deemed to be neglected or at risk.

By the way, i have a two year old and know exactly what they can be like, and so will anyone else who's ever had a two year old, so it isn't a big deal - just a safety net for the child in case any instances of supposed neglect happened.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Tiglet is correct - as far as I am aware, unless you have been convicted of a crime or received a formal police caution, then your check will come back OK. A friend of mine applied for a job with the prison service and was worried that a conviction for not having road tax would show up, the crb check came back fine, so I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. If you want to put your mind at rest completely, give them a ring and enquire.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I don't wish to alarm the OP but it is an enhanced check that she will be undertaking.

One doesn't necessarily have to have a criminal record for information to be included in it.

For instance, arrests & fingerprinting are often kept on police file even if you never get charged, let alone convicted.

And it appears it was actually the police who contacted the council originally with the OP's details to put on record. One could assume that the police also decided to keep this record too.

Also, in Ellenn's example, it could be that a conviction for no car tax is just not a barrier to working in the prison service.

However, a record on file with a council social services, and most probably with the police, about one's own child may be a problem when applying to work with other children. (These have been tightened further since Ian Huntely)

I'd get advice on how to fill in the form as there is a section which asks you to declare anything that may be of interest to the particular job you are applying for.

It's a tough one. Should you declare something that needn't have been declared or should you have just in case it shows up?

As this scenario itself can also be recorded on the check for future reference!

Good luck but speak to someone before completing it.

Just to put Weird Al's information into context, although it is true that information is disclosed where it is considered relevant, it is not automatic, nor is it a given that such information would be a bar to employment. I know of two cases which would support this.

1. Somebody who left their two children in a car whilst they went into a shop. Came out to find the Police radioing details of the vehicle in, and although no action was taken, the matter was reported to Child Protection. That individual has since had an enhanced CRB and gained employment with vulnerable adults.

2. Almost an identical case to the OP, where a five year old wandered off and was brought home by the Police having been found almost a mile away. Same child also fell out of a window after climbing onto the window ledge. Reported to Social Services. Mother has had an enhanced CRB to work in a Primary School.

Those are cases involving the Police (and since Soham), but I remember my sister managed to drop my neice over the banisters whilst carrying her downstairs, which resulted in a follow up from Social Services after hospital treattment. She is now a Deputy head of a Primary school :eek:

One hears horror stories, but assuming that judgement is exercised, if the matter was recorded then I firmly believe that it would not be considered a barrier to employment.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

god what should i do then lol i have filled it in and my sister is my supervisor and has assured me its nothing to worry about, i emailed the council and they have said i have to apply to them for details they hold on me which is useless as i already know this but obviously the police forwarded the info so do they possibly still have it i can apply for subject access etc but that could take upto 40 working days and cant hold of that long giving them my crb form can i !!

Personally I would just send the form in and try to be confident. The problem is that the CRB and Police will never disclose the precise nature of what they include or don't include, as this might provide somebody with ill-intent sufficient information to avoid detection. The mystery is sufficient to dissuade many predatory individuals from even thinking about trying to get a job with children for fear of failing the CRB.

I firmly believe that you have nothing to be unduly worried about. Think about the SAR if and only if there is a need to at a later date.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

hi all just spoke to crb and they said the only search on me not children in my family and never search any forms of council or local authority firms etc i told them about police being involved and he said not to worry and there is no need to mention it on my applications xx

Hi, that's great news - I was confident you wouldn't have a problem but I'm glad you phoned them and put your mind at rest.

Good luck for the future with your job & college course.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

aahh thanks youer all so nice!! just had a couple of terrible years and its all going well for a change!! i was on a programme called help me love my baby in december dont know if any of you watched it? i had terrible post natal depression and had a years worth of therapy in london with my daughter xxx

• 2 months later...

Hi Todd58, Yes unfortunatley it does. I have a record for various minor offences that then resulted in a short spell inside as a 'Short Sharp Shock' treatment. It worked! Since then I have been in only one bit of trouble which was a drink drive (No I'm not proud of that) and that was 9 years ago. It is 20 years ago when I was last in trouble of any sort other than that. I recently had a CRB check done for a job as a chef in a care home and it came up with everything I had done since I was 18 including a 'Urinating on a Public Highway' on my 18th birthday! I didn't get that job but a few weeks later I was having a drink with a local in my local pub who told me the story about myself! He did not know it was me he was talking about because he did not know my second name but he retailed my convictions. His wife is a friend of the owner of the care home I applied to. I TOTALLY AGREE we need some sort of CRB check but this is crazy. I have no convictions which relate to violence, drugs, children or 'vanenrable people' How can people as myself and especially young people get past their past. It comes back to bite them. If we want young people to stop re offending we need to give them a chance. All of my convictions are 'Spent'. I am now a 40 something guy, homeowner, hardworking person married to a doctor. If anything I would be the sort of person you could point at and say 'look kid, you can turn your life around. It's not too late' I enjoy my life now and am glad I have done something with it but for goodness sake, give me a chance! and all the others out there who really do want to give it a go.

Not all Formal Police Cautions will show up on Enhanced disclosures, it depends when they were given.

Many Police Forces destroyed records of cautions after a set amount of time including the entry on the PNC.

Although that has now changed i believe.

Certainly my 2 cautions i received as a teenager do not appear on my enhanced disclosure.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the original idea for the crb was to protect children since then theyve gone mad and you need them in lots of places that have contact with public, its bureacracy gone mad, they aint worth the paper they are written on, plus, people with spent convictions that do not involve children, violence, etc should not have their previousl spent convictions divulged, its about time the law was changed to take this into account

• 1 month later...

My 13 year old daughter went through a wild faze and because I grounded her she left the house at 2am in the morning and told her friends mum that I hit her. The police came around to talk about it and realised that my daughter is out of control and I never hit her. I was devastated that she said that. Since then my daughter has now turned into a lovely caring girl because I pulled her away from her gang mates. They did not prosicute me, they left it alone. Would this be on the crb check. thanks

My 13 year old daughter went through a wild faze and because I grounded her she left the house at 2am in the morning and told her friends mum that I hit her. The police came around to talk about it and realised that my daughter is out of control and I never hit her. I was devastated that she said that. Since then my daughter has now turned into a lovely caring girl because I pulled her away from her gang mates. They did not prosicute me, they left it alone. Would this be on the crb check. thanks

It would possibly be on an enhanced CRB check.

An enhanced check will list 'other Police intelligence' as well as convictions.cautions, etc.

plus, people with spent convictions that do not involve children, violence, etc should not have their previousl spent convictions divulged, its about time the law was changed to take this into account

Just who do you think it is divulged to?