1st Credit Statutory Demand

gemkr

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I'm have a problem, I received a statutory demand from 1st credit/connaught. I'm unsure as to what debt it is for, I went a bit stupid a few years ago and have around £8k debt in total. The amount the stat demand is for doesn't tie in with any of the amounts I am aware of (its only for £860). They say it is for non-payment of a Halifax agreement, however I never had a hlaifax account. I did have bank of scotland accounts, but this was way before it joined with the halifax. There is no reference that I can see and I haven't heard anything from anyone about it (or indeed any of the other debt) for around three years.

Should I acknowledge the statutory demand? They do not know that this is my address and it was sent in the post.

Would they make me bankrupt for £860??? I am a full time student so can't afford to pay anything back and the only asset I have is a car worth next to nothing.

Thank you so much for reading this, any advice is much appreciated.

First NEVER talk to these "people" on the phone as they will try and get you to agree to anything.

Before you even think about making any sort of acknowledgement or payment to a DCA you MUST ensure that they have the LEGAL right to collect the debt.

This is achieved by requesting a copy of the Signed, Executed Credit Agreement via a Consumer Credit Act (CCA) request.

There is a template letter to be found here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Letter N.

Is it important to start the letter:

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY in Big Bold letters.

It is best to send this request via recorded/special delivery as there are some important deadlines to observe.

After 12 WORKING days the "debt" is in default and stays that way until the request is complied with.

If a FURTHER month passes then the DCA has committed a summary criminal offence and the matter should be referred to Trading Standards for action once the DCA continues to demand payment.

I hope this clarifies some things.

Also have a good read of this: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/112326-debt-collection-agencies-statutory.html

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too