Why do tenants stick their head in the sand??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5904 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Wanted to find out what peoples thoughts are on my situation. I have a tenant who is 18weeks in arrears has 4kids and due another on 18th Febuary. I have repeatedly asked her to call me and visited her house to try and talk to her to get her to sort out her HB claim. She refuses to do anything. She moved in on the 21/9/2007 and only paid one weeks rent upfront. I felt sorry for her when she moved in.

I have now spoken to her previous landlords and it appears she has made a habbit of this i.e not paying rent for the past 3years that I can trace. I have left her several voicemails asking her to call me so we can sort this out. She never does. I am trying hard, kept giving her the benefit of the doubt and she keeps screwing me. I've spoken to the council because she should be getting housing benefit. They advise me that their is a note on the computer from the tenant revoking my right to have details regarding the claim.

What would you other landlords do?

What would you tenants expect your landlord to do at this point?

I have rented for the last two years through professional letting agents. They undertake credit reference, employment and previous landlord reference checks. I had to pay one month in advance plus one month deposit. In addition I had to take out insurance that had provisions for purposeful damage. We were also required to sign an ASTA and separate agreement with the agency that provides for fees for them undertaking certain activities for which we are responsible.

The landlord and agents are excellent, we had two problems with the house; key broke in lock and door sticking and they sorted both out within one day. They let us have our dog at the property so were also understanding and flexible.

You should carefully check out who you rent your property to since it sounds like you have only just started to do so when it is obviously too late. You will have to serve her notice and an eviction order.

Evict. It can be the best action for both parties; you and her. Start eviction process and notify the council. Do everything by the book as she may be one of those tenants who know all about their rights but conveniently forget about their obligations. Tell her that you will not threaten or intimidate her but you have no choice. The council will have to pick her up- unless they will decide that she has made herself intentionally homeless (which they very probably will).

She is listening to your voicemails, don't you worry. Tell her that you are preparing a notice. Read about notices here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/residential-commercial-lettings/116385-shorthold-tenancy-posession-eviction.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is the first time in i will have to evict a mother with kids in the past 10years. The worst bit is the letting agent let me down, hasnt paid me rent from other properties either, he will get his just deserves.

I just find it difficult when they have a decent landlord willing to let her stay if she sorts out her rent then i'd be happy to let her stay. The worst bit is i supply emercency accomodation to the local council for their homeless. I have talked to them and they advised intentionally homeless, they are also saying that i should speak with social services, what do you think?

I have started eviction on grounds 8,10, section 21, so i'll get my house back when the courts get a move on. Probably a few months still to go.

it seems so heartless to evict a mum and her kids

No, it's not heartless; the landlord has been more then acommodating so far. If the tenant does not show even a slightess effort to take care of an absolute basic, like roof over her children's heads, then authorities (shambless as they are) may need to take over. Tough love.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]