Neighbours car not taxed???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5820 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My neighbour has not bothered to tax his car since end of November, it is just parked in the street - how come he's not been in bother - it is definatly not SORNED, I thought DVLA were hot on this nowdays?

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

My neighbour has not bothered to tax his car since end of November, it is just parked in the street - how come he's not been in bother - it is definatly not SORNED, I thought DVLA were hot on this nowdays?

How can you be sure he is not in bother? Perhaps he has had letters from the DVLA "fining" him. Surely you wouldn't be aware if he had.

Possibly the car is not registered to his name and address. Possibly he has taxed the car but not bothered to display the disc. Have you checked on the DVLA website to check if the car is SORNed or not? If it really bothers you, you can report a vehicle anonymously that appears unlicensed that is being kept on the road on the DVLA website.

Years ago neighbours of mine fell on hard times and could not afford to get their car through its MOT - and were therefore not able to tax it. As soon as the traffic wardens found out they made a daily trip past the house (quite often out of uniform, presumably on their way home) to put yet another ticket on the car. The windscreen was absolutely covered in them. I don't know what happened in the end.

These days if you have not bought your tax or declared SORN within I think 14 days you get an automatic fine from the DVLA of £60.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

I don't want to report anyone, just wondered why he was apparently getting away with it being parked for weeks on a public road :) I thought the DVLA removed vehicles if they weren't taxed....

Poppy,

Check the website of your local borough/district/unitary council and see if you can anonymously report such vehicles as these. It has to be parked on the public highway (which includes the verge).

If the vehicle is being driven on the public highway you can anonymously report it on the DVLA website.

Report it,

John

Personally I wouldn't report it.

It just smells a little like Germany in the early 40's to me.

If it were doing me no harm, I'd just ignore it.

...and as for the DVLA being 'hot' - just have a read of a few threads here - you'll soon realise that they are about as competent as most other big businesses.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

If your neighbour is not driving the car and does not have a driveway to park the car on I wouldn't say anything.

He might not have the money to Tax it or it may need an MOT that he cannot afford at the moment.

Not everyone has off road parking and I feel for them when the DVLA fine them for having an un taxed car on the public highway even though they're not driving it.

I know it's the law but still a bit of discretion now and again would be nice. :)

I think the comment was that the vehicle had been parked up. Unless there is a mobile ANPR in a Traffic car it will not get picked up and unless the mobile ANPR has a live link it will have a downloaded database, which comes directly from DVLA, this will be about 3 months out of date.

Most forces run operations in conjunction with a DVLA agent and will pick the vehicle up after 2 months

No you're not, just to have a legitimate interest in the vehicle.

By ticking the box you are agreeing to the following;

"I confirm that the vehicle detailed above is registered, owned or insured by either my employer or myself and is regularly driven by me. I understand it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information of this nature without reasonable cause and if I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 55 of the Data Protection Act 1988. I declare that the information provided will not be used for any purposes unrelated to this enquiry. I agree to the terms of use as stated on this web site."

Well its up to the user. I am happy to continue to use that site (and vehiclelicence.gov.uk) for whatever purposes I need.

Its a long time since my law school days, but I believe the penalty for a DPA breech (and I assume you mean DPA98) is just a fine, so I'm happy.

To qualify my earlier post....

If you want a quick and easy way to get the answer to your question then click the link. If you want to be "holier than thou" then do not.

• 2 months later...
Well its up to the user. I am happy to continue to use that site (and vehiclelicence.gov.uk) for whatever purposes I need.

Its a long time since my law school days, but I believe the penalty for a Data Protection Act breech (and I assume you mean DPA98) is just a fine, so I'm happy.

To qualify my earlier post....

If you want a quick and easy way to get the answer to your question then click the link. If you want to be "holier than thou" then do not.

So I'm to understand advisee that you are perfectly happy to do precisely what many DCA's do & that is to break the law by invading the privacy of another citizen without permission

My advice to the OP leave it. If your neighbour are doing you no harm why make trouble for them

As Dave says a bit to much like a fascist state for my liking, grassing on neighbours who are doing you no harm......not nice not nice at all

i had one of my lovely neigbours contact the police about my car un taxed on the road within 24hrs hrs it was picked up.i had to get it out of a recovery yard cost £117 POUNDS.

i took the tax out to change it on to the new disabled car my wife just received. i wish my neigbour had Some bottle to come to me and ask why my car was untaxed but no with in a hour of me taking it out h/she phone the police elvis came out END,LIFE,VECHILES,------ SERVICE.And picked it up.

COST US A WEEKS INCOME SUPPORT

if you watch on the television they don`t need to come round they have you on the computer and send you paper work for the £80. pound fine(your`re neigbour won`t have that either)

Yeah.

As well as spying on us to the 9th degree this government & their cronies in local government, much like the commies & the fascists did, want us to all to be snitches & report on our neighbours, friends & even family

They are turning, or have turned, this country into a nasty place to live.

We can't even trust the bloody bin man because he/she might be rifling through our rubbish in case we are throwing out the 'wrong' rubbish on the 'wrong' day

Many ridicule those who like me who say bring back the old days well I'm afraid for those who don't recall the 'old days' let me tell you they wouldn't have dared to try this. There where too many still alive who had fought a war against such practises & they would have had their guts for garters

Where the hell is Guy Fawkes when you need him

I perhaps should point out that I had no intention of 'grassing' on anyone - I've just seen all the DVLA ads on the tv and wondered if they were telling porkies :D

I perhaps should point out that I had no intention of 'grassing' on anyone - I've just seen all the DVLA ads on the tv and wondered if they were telling porkies :D

I very much doubt they drive their ANPR vans down every single street in the UK every month its just pot luck if you get caught.

Excuse me, are we not talking about the law here? you own a car, you want to keep it on a public highway you tax it, if not you SORN it and keep it off the road, end of

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

That is the law, but the road tax system is rather barbaric, and criminalizes people who don't have off road parking. As someone said above, sometimes people need to save for a bit to get their car through its MOT. While they're not driving it, it's unfair to refuse them a tax disc and at the same time punish them for not having one.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

As several people have already said here, there are usually very good reasons why some people can't tax their car on the very day it becomes due. For instance, my tax ran out at the end of march. The date for my MOT was 5th April. Unfortunatly the car failed on a couple of minor points (taillight bulb & tyre). Applied for the retest and got 12:15 on the 14th April. That was great or so I thought as it meant I could still get the car taxed at the Post Office. I asked for a half day off work but couldn't get it. I asked a few people if they could take the car for me (wouldn't trust my car to just any T D or H). No joy there for various reasons. I even tried phoning the test centre that morning in the hope they would let me bring the car in that evening seeing as it would only take seconds to check. No hope there either.. I live in a housing estate and have no driveway. So off road parking is non existant unless I dive the car up the steep steps and through thw hedge into the garden.

I don't like being untaxed and it is the first time I have went more than a couple of days. Unfortunatly circimstances worked against me. So if I see a car that is only just out of tax I don't suddenly rush for the phone.

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07