• Tweets

• Hi welcome to the Forum.  If a PCN is sent out late ie after the 12th day of the alleged offence, the charge cannot then be transferred from the driver to the keeper.T he PCN is deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch so in your case, unless you can prove that Nexus sent the PCN several days after they claim you have very little chance of winning that argument. All is not lost since the majority of PCNs sent out are very poorly worded so that yet again the keeper is not liable to pay the charge, only the driver is now liable. If you post up the PCN, front and back we will be able to confirm whether it is compliant or not. Even if it is ok, there are lots of other reasons why it is not necessary to pay those rogues. 
    • Hi I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof? 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No    Have you had a response?  n/a 7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice'  
    • lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

AO - Hell!

ohoh4312
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5922 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, and apologies because this may go on a bit!

I having been using AOL for a number of years, luckily without any issues.

However, during the week I could not get into my online banking, or Live Messenger. Having spoken to the technical guys at the bank they assured me that the website was fine, and the problem was my end, possibly with AOL.

So, I spoke to AOL, and after an hour of trying various things, I was informed that my "cipher strength" on IE was inadequate, and I would have to get an expert in to delete IE and then re-install it.

So, I spoke to the Geek squad - highly recommend them - who told me that was rubbish (I had already thought that!), and after another hour or so of troubleshooting, they discovered that 4 or 5 .dll files were missing/corrupted; a hardware problem to take up with PC World. The laptop is only 2 months old btw.

PC performance said that a complete system recovery would do the trick - not a hardware fault. Back-up all your data, then call us back and we will go through the recovery process with you. I was not happy with this solution, but didn't really feel I had a choice.

Nearly 4 hours later, the laptop was back up and running, and guess what? Nothing had changed (apart from losing all my settings :mad: ) - the Internet issues were exactly the same.

Afetr more phone calls to PC and geeks, I called AOL again - by now it was 9.45pm, and I had made the first call at 9.30am!! Spoke to a really patronising wotsit who told me, eventually, that AOL migrated their broadband service to Carphone Warehouse during the week, AND NOW MY ROUTER IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED. GRRRRRRRRRRR!!

So I insisted on speaking to a Manager, who told me that yes, it was my fault for having this type of router!! I refuse point blank to buy a new one - thats only a couple of months old also and has been working perfectly. Furthermore it was 90 quid that I cannot afford to waste. Finally, he said that he would get the tech guys to look into the problem overnight, and he would call me around midday today.........

Still waiting!

So I can get on the net, but not on any microsoft sites, no online banking, and I can't even download the AOL software to reinstall it!

So, apart from being furious, I am stuck -any ideas on where I go from here please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jo xx

Six Nations Champions 2009

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

:cool::-D:cool:

First of all, I dont think this is a router problem. You could go to the manufacturers website and download and install the latest firmware if you wanted to.

Many banks and online shops require your encryption (cipher) settings to be higher than for ordinary web pages. It sounds like you may have an incorrect or missing setting. It should be set to 128-bit.

Here is a link explaining how to check it and fix it. As this is a Microsoft link, you may have to go on a friends computer and print out the instructions:

Cipher strength appears as 0-bit in Internet Explorer

Failing that, if AOL supports Firefox, install that instead.

We have been having problems with AOL this week too. We too have been customers for a few yrs from beginning of 2004 in fact. We are getting disconnected every 10 mins or so which means you can do hardly anything.

Ive tested all the equipment etc(he is a pc tech im an ex technical faults tech)so we know what we are doing between the 2 of us. They have changed the main login to connect to broadband and password(which we cant change apparently, very secure NOT) I again did everything they asked me to and warned them id be back on the phone making them eat their words.

Now they are giving the excuse of this migration and our router isnt supported. Looks like its the case of we bought you off AOL so we dont give a toss, the customer service is a lot to be desired too, Im in no way racist but it was easier when you were put through to someone who was in the UK, this lot now dont understand the words "Can I talk to a team leader or a manager please" and sit in silence telling you they are the only ones there! So on a 2Mb connection we are lucky if we are getting just under 1mb, they have until monday to improve or we will be going elsewhere as they aint the only isp who offer no download limits(well within the fair usage policy).

Oh and as for not getting on certain sites you could in the past AOL are good at that, we even contacted the councils site tech dept about it as aol said it was a problem with their site. Proxy fixes that one.

AOL employees must really hate it when people like me call just to make their night go out with a bang:D

So what exactly does this "migration" mean then? Does it mean that I am now forced into dealing with CPW?

I vowed i would never deal with this company after a bad expeirience with them last year.

I have had no (or very few) problems with AOL until the last week or so.

I Can't connect to most sites now and when I do it's is only for a short time.

The speed of connection when it does happen is much slower than it was.

I don't seem to be getting all the email I know I should be getting.

I can't get connected to the technical support live help page!

It is a complete joke.

If they don't sor it then I too will be looking for another isp.

Any suggestions?

Well I can't quiet beleive it but I seem to have sorted the problem.

For anyone with a Netgear modem follow the instructions below. I have just done so and can now connect to everything at what seems like super quick speed.

There are a number of possible reasons why you may not be able to access a secure site:

step1.gif Your modem router settings are incorrect

If you are having problems connecting to secure sites like MSN, Online banking, Ebay and others you may need to change the MTU size on your modem router.

Note: This step is for Netgear modem router users only. If you connect to the internet with any other modem router (eg Thomson SpeedTouch), please skip this step.

To set the MTU size on the Netgear modem router:

1. Click Start and Run.

2. In the run box type http://192.168.0.1

3. Enter the user name and password.

Note: By default, the user name is admin and the password is password. If you ever changed these login details please enter the new user name and password.

4. In the menu on the left, under Advanced, click WAN Setup.

5. Change the MTU Size to 1400 and click Apply.

The setting on my router was ay 1492. I changed it to 1400 and it all seems great so far.

If you don't have a netgear router I suggest you contact AOL and tell them that unless they supply you with the correct router in order to use the service they are charging you for then you will cancel and go elsewhere.

All of the above was done the other night by the O/H as we use a safecom router, we got fed up of the crap we got using the BT voyager ones they kept sending.

Not holding my breath but after a good stern word last night low and behold it doesnt seem to have disconnected yet and he said it was a lot steadier on connection rates etc. We had this once before and if you argue enough they do something to reset the AOL connection and bobs your uncle but its like pulling teeth.

We were also told since now the £14.99 a month package allows up to 8Mb and we are only on 2Mb but the lines capable of 4Mb but when we got put through for the simple line upgrade we were told no they wont do it unless we take out a new contract, technically we were lied to because it doesnt say that anywhere. I told him since we already kept to our side of the bargain and did our time with AOL under contract he could swivvel, he was another who insisted there were no managers on the floor in the whole call centre!

If it wasnt for the fact that going elsewhere would mean a new contract then we would be trying o2 as they seem to be getting great reviews especially on customer service and excelling in doing connections as quickly as possible as well as being a damn sight cheaper. We are due to move house anytime soon though so a new contract is the last thing we need. oh and o2 have the unlimited downloads too with the fair usage policy too just the same as AOL which we need as theres an online gamer in this house.

Getting sense out of the call centre staff in other countries we now have to endure with AOL is like pulling teeth especially when they treat everyone like joe blogs random doesnt have a clue about pc's! I also think the poor sods like us who were bought with AOL are treated less favourably, well thats how it seems to me, as soon as I can Im off elsewhere but not before getting some kind of compo for the last few weeks and the calls which keep you on hold enduring crap music for a minimum of 20 mins only to be hung up on when it does start ringing!

If I knew all this when carphone warehouse sneakily took them over I would have left months ago while I could.

Hi all, and thanks for the replies/suggestions.

robin9342 - for some strange reason, I managed to get into microsoft today, but the link you kindly gave me does not apply to vista - I searched the site but cannot find a solution for vista. Also, I checked the router site, and I have all the latest updates already. But thanks very much for taking the time to help.

I was also told it was the MTU setting, but that had already been changed to 1400 for me by the geek squad - my router is a d-link btw.

I rang AOL at 4pm yesterday - the managers call never materialised - and after hanging on for 18 minutes only to be cut off :mad: , after a further 15 minutes my call was finally answered by a very nice Irishman. I asked him to note on my file that I was extremely dissatisfied with the service, and the lack of the promised call from said manager. He could not explain, even though I pushed, why the problem had suddenly occurred, and would not admit that it was to do with the migration.

My only option, apparently, is to change my contract to one that comes with a free, fully-AOL supported router. My contract charge stays the same, but I will still be £90 out of pocket, and I won't get the router till Tuesday at the earliest.:mad:

So we shall see what happens - I get 7 days "cooling-off" on the new contract, so if it doesn't work, or I am not happy, can I then cancel my contract completely and move to another ISP? Any suggestions on a better one?

I shall have a look at o2 - if I can access the site!

Thanks again all - and I am glad (in a perverse sort of way;) ) that I am not the only one; but I do feel sorry for everyone experiencing this.

Best regards

Jo xx

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

Thank-you StormWarrior - I sort of expected someone to say that!;)

Update, with lots of questions (sorry!)

Having done some research today on cipher strength, it would appear that mine is not inadequate; in fact mine is 256 and the recommended (even by AoL) is 128. So is mine too high? Or am I missing the point? (probably!)

I also read that Vista is supposed to manage the cipher strength automatically?

And if you don't use IE to access the net - I NEVER do, how does that affect the encryption on the AOL browser?

Sorry guys - I am not quite a technophobe, but I am no IT expert either, as you can probably tell!

Thanks again for any help

Best regards

Jo xx

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

TBH I would bother with their spyware infested browser that slows your pc down bigtime! We loaded it once on mine(his is the main network and server set up)to get it going yrs ago and then reformatted my machine to get rid of the AOL gunk. We use username and password prompt for our router or you can use the windows one depending on what router/modem you are using to bypass having all AOL's crap on your pc.

If it wasnt for the fact we are just waiting for a moving date we would go to o2. I certainly would NOT take a new contract out with carphone warehouse so I was stuck to them for another 12 months(I bet when the new router/modem comes its all hunky dorey for the cooling off period:rolleyes: )they still claim to be AOL you have spent your contracted time with them so if they now dont support the modems that were given out in the past you should get one for free!

Just a few months back after the take over an akward git put through a ticket and got a new wireless router sent to us so as the other department couldnt up our line speed until it had gone through so thats bull about having to take on a new contract! Id take your hard earned cash elsewhere and more likely to a cheaper isp for the same as your getting now!

Top 10 Broadband » Broadband Comparison - 100+ Broadband Deals & Offers. Broadband ISP, ADSL & Cable Comparison I had a look at this site last night all you enter is your postcode phone number is optional. There are isp's there who have only 3 month and even 1 month contracts. Download limits might be suitable for lighter users but not us, usually the download limited ones can be cheaper than unlimited but it isnt an option for us.

EDIT

These cowboy clowns have surpassed themselves with us now see: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/broadband-other-internet-issues/128626-aohell-illegal.html

To the OP id get out while you can before they just take it upon themselves to put you on a new contract without you knowlege!

Thank-you StormWarrior - I sort of expected someone to say that!;)

Update, with lots of questions (sorry!)

Having done some research today on cipher strength, it would appear that mine is not inadequate; in fact mine is 256 and the recommended (even by AoL) is 128. So is mine too high? Or am I missing the point? (probably!)

I also read that Vista is supposed to manage the cipher strength automatically?

And if you don't use IE to access the net - I NEVER do, how does that affect the encryption on the AOL browser?

Sorry guys - I am not quite a technophobe, but I am no IT expert either, as you can probably tell!

Thanks again for any help

Best regards

Jo xx

Sorry - just a gentle bump! :sad:

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

Hi all,

Well, I received my new router today, set it up, and lo and behold everything works!

However, the cipher strength on IE is STILL 256 - three people at AOL told me it categorically had to be 128 in order to access secure sites.:confused:

Call me cynical, but now I think they deliberately altered something in order to tie me in to a new contract - having checked, my original contract was due to expire in March. So, if my old (albeit new!) router was still working as it had been, I would have been free to pick and choose an ISP.

So I have decided that as I can access all the sites now, I am going to spend my 7 day cooling off period looking for a better deal - well, its not actually driven by money; good customer service and honesty are much more important.

Thanks for all your help, and hopefully I won't be back with tales of how AOL take retaliatory action when I tell them to poke it!;)

Jo xx

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

Hi all,

Well, I received my new router today, set it up, and lo and behold everything works!

However, the cipher strength on IE is STILL 256 - three people at AOL told me it categorically had to be 128 in order to access secure sites.:confused:

Call me cynical, but now I think they deliberately altered something in order to tie me in to a new contract - having checked, my original contract was due to expire in March. So, if my old (albeit new!) router was still working as it had been, I would have been free to pick and choose an ISP.

So I have decided that as I can access all the sites now, I am going to spend my 7 day cooling off period looking for a better deal - well, its not actually driven by money; good customer service and honesty are much more important.

Thanks for all your help, and hopefully I won't be back with tales of how AOL take retaliatory action when I tell them to poke it!;)

Jo xx

Dont say I didnt warn you, Id get out while you can;) .

We got a response to the complaint we sent in via their online form and the guy dealing reitterated when the other operator said but contacted BT tonight and got the MAC code and sent it to us instantly with a definate guarantee we will not be held to paying off the unspent contract. We have singed up to o2 tonight gave them the MAC code and the balls rolling. Cant argue with unlimited download no caps(well fair usage policy but thats nothing) up to 8Mb speed sign up before the 31st of January and you get 100day money back guarantee and free connection, then its free phone tech support etc 24/7 and UK based call centres all for the bargain price of £12.50 per month or if you have an o2 contract phone its only £7.50. Bargain and everyone we have spoke to only has good things to say about them up to now and the reviews on the net are all positive too so we are giving them a go!:D

LMAO.....

They only sent me a "Customer Satisfaction" survey to complete, based on my most recent communications with them!!

You can imagine what rating I gave them, based on "10 - extremely satisified to 0 - extremely dissatisified".....shame you couldn't give a minus really.;)

In small print at the bottom it says that they may contact me for further clarification, based on the answers I have given.

I hope they do!!!!:D;):D

Jo xx

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

In small print at the bottom it says that they may contact me for further clarification, based on the answers I have given

They won't in case you tell them :D

goto thinkbroadband :: Compare broadband service providers and enter your options then click compare to see the difference.

Then compare who you thought of with Zen :)

EDIT: Just compared them all and KeConnect comes out top of the lot.

They provide the broadband for the National Association of Specialist Computer Retailers.

I don't always believe what I say, I'm just playing Devils Advocate

LoL Storm!

I looked at KeConnect, but to get the package I want, it would work out a lot more expensive - I know I said it wasn't all about money, but it is a consideration. Also you only get 3 email addys, and we currently use 5.

Now, after doing more research, my other half has asked me to ask this question - it really is him and not me, honest! Don't want to do this, but here goes.........

He says, cos he is a tight-fisted git;

"Why do you need AOL, or any other ISP?"

"IE is free," (thats the bit he likes :rolleyes: ) "so why pay £17.99 a month for nothing?"

Can someone please give me a answer - I have tried to explain, but for one, I am not sure of all the reasons, and two, he won't listen to me anyway!!

You can tell me to tell him that he's thick - not a problem!

Jo xx

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

"IE is free," (thats the bit he likes :rolleyes: ) "so why pay £17.99 a month for nothing?"

Of course he is totally right, I have a light bulb so why do I have to pay for electricity ??:rolleyes:

As for needing an ISP, traditionally AOhell, was originally an CSP ( content service provider) !

Anyway, the question people always forget to ask is..........

"What facilities do you require from an ISP?" ( read 'need' ?)

Answer these first and then you can get an idea of which isp can give you what you want.

As for e-mail addy's, get a domain name and then if you change isp in the future, your e-mail stays the same. :D

I don't always believe what I say, I'm just playing Devils Advocate

o2 is cheaper for their packages, you can choose static or dynamic IP addys, you get up to 10 email accounts. Im giving them a go because ive only heard good things and had good experiences up to now with all the staff ive fired all my akward questions at(poor sods)! Also because they offer the new ADSL+2 technology I think it is they have even line checked us and said we can possibly get over 5Mb and not just under the measly 4Mb BT were offering or the 2Mb AO-Hell were keeping us on, although the package we were paying for was up to 8Mb they could have had us on the 4Mb.

Ill just be glad to get away from them tbh, from 12pm we have had approx 25 disconnections and the nights still young. We are praying the migration goes through as quick as possible to o2 as ive heard they can be quite quick if its all straightforward and have surprised people.