SLC incompetence / debt-collectors

krysus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5917 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Basically, i defaulted on a student loan several months ago.

Firstly i received letters from SLC, but when referring to the loan in default they actually were putting the account number of my other loan on all their correspondence.

I have got a copy of the CCA agreement for this other loan, and it is unexecuted, i.e. no signature from SLC.

As they don't seem to be able to get their paperwork right, then i assume the default notice is invalid, due to the wrong account number??

Anyway, i've since received further letters from a debt collectors on behalf of SLC, but now they're quoting the correct loan account number for the debt in question.

My argument to the them would be "well, this is the first i've heard regarding the account number quoted. all my correspondence from SLC has a different account number, and that account is unexecuted...".

Also, the balance they've quoted (about £1600) is higher than the most recent balance on the SLC letters (about £1400 including SLC charges(£250ish)).

Can i state that "I do not acknowledge this debt as i believe there is a significant amount of unlawful charges on this account"?

What's the best way of resolving this once and for all? I do intend to pay it off, but can't afford much on a monthly basis at the moment, but am due a bonus from work next month. Should i offer them a full & final short-settlement?

Any advice appreciated.

Hi krysus,

Hopefully, somebody with a good knowledge of dealing with student loans will be along soon to answer the above, but it may be helpful in the meantime (if at all possible) to scan a copy of the CCA that they've sent to you - with all personal details blanked out.

Also, have a good read through some of the other threads in this forum to find out how others have dealt/are dealing with SLC in relation to charges being applied, CCA agreements, etc.

Best of luck with this :)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Dont offer them anything until the amount of penalty charges and interest levied thereon has been removed.

Read my thread on how I did it:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/students/78206-noomill-student-loan-company.html

Which DCA debt collection agency has contacted you? NCO by any chance?

The letter you write to both SLC should say that you dispute the total amount claimed as being owed as the amount claimed contains unlawfully applied penalties and interest charged thereon, which you are prepared to take legal action to remove, but that you will happy to reconsider repayments once this matter is resolved.

Any further demands for payment in the meantime will be regarded as harassment and an action for damages at a rate of £50 per unlawful contact will also be brought.

Send this letter to the DCA which is harassing you and copy SLC in on it.

If they dont remove the charges (which they wont) within 14 days, come back and I'll help you put together a claim against them.:D

Oh, and dont talk to the DCA on the phone. EVER.

NEVER EVER SPEAK TO THEM.

EVER.

They will fill you head with nonsense and do your head in.

Keep a note of each time they ring or contact you and keep copies of all letters they send.

Dont even confirm your name/address. Just say you are taking legal advice and the matter will be resolved by legal action against them and SLC.

Tell them you consider these phone call as harassment and that damages of £50 will be claimed for each occasion, including the call just made.

Then put the phone down and make a note on your list of phone calls.

Go through this proceedure each time

krysus, noomill. i did the same, only they reckoned my deferrment was incomplete because i am an ice cream man and get paid all cash, (so i can only get a letter off my employer stating my income).

Anyway, last time they hammered me for arrears and like a (edit) i paid em because i didn't know any better. this time scotgill have sent me a letter saying they are coming round unless its resolved!. After reading noomill's thread i'm gonna get a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) and kick ass. (i hope!)

BUT, does anyone know if my previous payment of arrears last time counts against me???

Just a quickie to say after reading threads on this site i feel less of a victim so thnx to all who have given advice on the slc!