• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Husband Vs Norther Rock

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After a practice with Barclays Bank (different thread) I am at the Court stage with Northern Rock. I was filing a complaint with FOS but I phoned them yesterday and they said it would be 5 months before they have a results yet and NR probably won't agree with it anyway.

Decided to sack off FOS and go straight to Court. Total claiming for is a whopping £18,200.52 over 2 loan agreements.

Wish me luck!

th_luck.gif

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

Had some interesting progress today. A series of emails:

Andrea,

I sent a letter to Northern Rock on 5th January 2008 asking a very simple question and as usual I have been ignored. My question was:

In the 'CLUB 24 - ACCOUNT EVENTS' there is an entry dated 01/12/04 which reads 'TRANS CALL TO HAVE PPI TAKEN OFF'. Then again on 27/06/05 'RANG CUS TO REMOVE PPI BUT IS OVER 25K, IS GOING TO RING BACK WHEN UNDER, AK'.

Please can you tell me what possible reason there would be to have this request denied?

I would be very much interested in this answer and will not accept being ignored.

I will expect your reply tomorow.

Reply:

Apologies for the delay in response, I have been out of the office.

The maximum loan amount we offer for Unsecured Loans is £25,000. When a customer requests to cancel the PPI on their agreement a new loan is input using the settlement figure on their existing account. When this settlement figure is above £25,000, unfortunately some of our operators have mistakenly thought that the new loan cannot be input as it is over the £25,000 limit. This is incorrect, therefore if the PPI should have been cancelled at a particular date we will backdate the removal of PPI on customers account to the date it was originally requested. Obviously this would be on the assumption that the PPI was correctly sold.

I hope this answers you query, however please let me know if you need further clarification.

My reply:

Whether the PPI was sold incorrectly or not my husband is still out of pocket because of Northern Rock's mistake. What do you intend to do about this?

Her reply:

I was under the impression you were taking this up with the FOS, as we have now issued a final response to the complaint you raised. This being the case once the FOS contact us, we will submit information to them about the issues you have raised and try and agree a resolution based on if the policy was mis-sold or not. However if you husband wishes to remove the PPI now this can be arranged. Can you please confirm how you wish to proceed and I will make the necessary arrangements.

And Mine:

Andrea,

The PPI can not be removed now as this loan is already closed, if you had correctly familiarised yourself with this case you would know that.

Now I have your admission of incorrect practice and uneducated staff I see little point waiting for a reply from the FOS (of which Northern Rock can ignore and have done in the past) and proceed directly to court. I have been given this advice from an FOS representative who has told me this would be my quickest and most effective action. If you force me to proceed down this route we will not only claim the PPI was mis-sold (of which Northern Rock may receive a fine) but also interest based on the contractual rate. Again, your written evidence will help to show that the Northern Rock Loan representatives did not have sufficient training to deal with my husbands request correctly. The fact that he spoke to 2 different reps at 2 different times 6 months apart and received the same answer will support that Northern Rock has a hole in it's training where personal loans are concerned.

My suggestion is you offer my husband a realistic settlement based on the fact he asked for the PPI to be removed and was ILLEGALLY refused, not once but twice in fact. This will not bode well for Northern Rock in Court whether or not the PPI was mis-sold.

I know you will receive this email today and I expect an immediate response. I think this game playing and deliberate avoidance of Northern Rock's mistake has gone on long enough. My husband's telephone number is xxxxxxxxxx or xxxxxxxx where he is ready to receive an offer today.

We intend to file at Portsmouth County Court tomorrow, after this has been done we will only accept an offer in full to include all Court Costs and Admin Fees which will be over £400.

I look forward to your response or alternatively our day in court! I have also written a letter today to Northern Rock stating our position and ALL the evidence we have, including your email.

With that last email I got and almost immediate telephone call. I think she basically wanted to lecture me about my emails, she admitted that Northern Rock are incompetant and that mistakes have been made. She also said he is entitled to a refund but would not give me a figure. I have given her 48 hours to contact me with an offer before I proceed to Court.

She also stated she did not want to write anymore emails to me as she no longer felt I was using the information wisely!!! Bloody Cheek!

Received an offer from Northern Rock today. Sounds great but can't work out where they get their figures from. Have asked for a more accurate and detailed break down of figures.

Unsecured Personal Loan Account(s) xxxxxx and yyyyyy

Following my recent contact with Mrs Hoskins I have now had the opportunity to review your complaint about the Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) sold on the above loan accounts.

I understand that you do not wish the FOS to review the complaint, due to the time this may take. Therefore I have raised this issue with a Senior Manager of the company to make a decision on how we will proceed.

While we refute the allegation you have made, that we missold the Payment Protection Insurance (PPI). We would like to reach an amicable resolution and not enter into further protracted correspondence with Mrs Hoskins or yourself.

On that basis we will refund the PPI premiums plus interest for both accounts. This totals £10,719.50. I have listed below a breakdown of the calculations for your reference.

Account xxxx

Refund of PPI Payment......................£1177.24

Refund of Interest on PPI...................£226.39

Total................................................£1403.63

Plus 8%...........................................£388.68

Account yyyy

Refund of PPI Payment.......................£5178.41

Refund of interest on PPI.....................£2788.89

Total..................................................£7967.30

8% Interest.......................................£959.89

No, i have no idea either, but £ 10,719.50p is a fantastic offer to be going along with.

Congratulations.

I am really pleased for you.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

We have received a break down of the figures today and they seem to make sense. We are going to accept. This is the following wording they want us to sign. Can anyone see a problem with it? Should I add 'cleared funds to be received within 10 days'?

I agree to the terms of the offer set out in this letter and acknowledge the offer is made, and accepted, in full and final settlement of my complaint against Northern Rock Plc.

Signed ___________________ Mr Hoskins

Date ________________

Its not possible to comment without reading the

"terms of the offer set out in this letter"

Following my recent contact with your wife I have now had the opportunity to review your complaint about the Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) sold on the above loan accounts.

I understand that you do not wish the FOS to review the complaint, due to the time this may take. Therefore I have raised this issue with a Senior Manager of the company to make a decision on how we will proceed.

While we refute the allegation you have made, that we missold the Payment Protection Insurance (PPI). We would like to reach an amicable resolution and not enter into further protracted correspondence with your wife or yourself.

On that basis we will refund the PPI premiums plus interest for both accounts. This totals £10,719.50. I have listed below a breakdown of the calculations for your reference.

That's it. What do you think?

agree to the terms of the offer set out in this letter and acknowledge the offer is made, and accepted, in full and final settlement of my complaint against Northern Rock Plc.

Signed ___________________ Mr Hoskins

Date ________________

Simply closes off any further complaint relating to your claim.

Ian

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

Thank you. I am going to send this off today. I am going to add 'provided cleared funds are received within 10 days'. I think this is fair as they expected me to reply within 10 days. I will let you all know how I get on.