• Tweets

• I received a response this morning, he has put in it about finding tenants who owe money, but I had already been in contact with them and had just responded to an email that morning to set up a payment arrangement. let me know what you think about their outcome:   Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on the service you have received.   I would like to share with you my findings and the decision I have made in regards to your complaint, which is currently at stage one of our process.  You let me know you were unhappy that a member of Ongo staff had obtained your address by deception, posing as a private buyer and that she then used that information to attend your home without notice.   You have also requested information in relation to our policies and procedures and requested a subject access request.  From the information, you have provided I have now carried out a full investigation of your complaint.  These are my findings: • We have provided you with the Customer Policies in regards to our services that you have requested  • A Subject Access Request has been submitted to our Data Protection Officer and he will comply within the statutory timeframes and will send you the details separately to this complaint. You may have already received this letter.  • I have investigated the issue around the staff member obtaining your address through deceptive means and my findings are that this action did take place as you stated and the staff member did get your address from interacting with you over Facebook, posing as a private buyer of a piece of furniture. • The two staff members did arrive at your home after obtaining the address and you did then engage in conversation at your home to make arrangements to repay your former tenancy arrears, which I am of the understanding a positive arrangement was made.  On this basis, I am upholding your complaint and would like to take the opportunity to say how sorry I am that the service you have received fell short of what is expected of us. It is important to us that we locate former tenants that leave owing money andwho may not offer a forwarding address.  We also use information available on public forums and tracing agencies to do this to then make contact with the customer in order to recover any monies owed. Our intention is always to recover the debt and support the customer in repaying this as tenancy debt can cause further issues and distress for customers in the future.   The methods used in this case not the correct procedure to obtain an address and we have addressed this matter internally with the individual concerned.    To help to put things right, firstly the staff member would also like to extend her apologies to you for any upset caused.  I believe this will have caused you some distress and concern and on that basis and in line with our Compensation Policy I would like to offer you a financial sum of £100 due to us not following the orrectprocedures.   As you have arrears on your former tenancy account,I will ensure that this sum is deducted from the amount you owe.    Secondly, I have reviewed the guidance and the training provided to the Income Collection team along with the Income Collection Manager and Customer Services Manager. I am assured this was an isolated case however to make sure this won’t happen again in the future we will be delivering a  further briefing and refresher to ensure that all staff are aware of the appropriate ways to use social media and ensure we are clear on our correct practices when recovering rent arrears. Lastly, this now concludes Stage 1 of our internal complaints process and I will now close the complaint, however should you feel there is anything further you want to add in the meantime please make contact with me so we can discuss this. Your feedback has been fully considered and investigated in line with our Complaints Policy.   Should you remain dissatisfied with this decision, then you should reply within 14 days explaining why you remain dissatisfied and what you are seeking as an outcome. Your complaint will then be reviewed by a relevant Senior Manager or Head of Service at Stage 2 of ONGO Homes internal complaints process. I have also attached a leaflet that gives advice on the role of the Housing Ombudsman.    Once again, thank you for your feedback. All feedback is an opportunity for us to improve our future services.
    • Thanks for that. Backdoor removed and left as default judgment. Is it good to go now or is there anything I should add or remove? n244 edited.pdf
    • Hi All,  I am posting this topic on the 6th day of the 3-5 day procedure.    I ordered a server for my home to store all my photos, videos ect.   On Friday 7th I ordered a NAS  server with two 4tb Hard Drives, one refurbished, and one brand new.  I put both drives in the NAS and the server came up with a warning saying the brand new drive was failing and should be replaced immediately.  I checked online to see if there was a simple solution, put the faulty drive in both server bays to eliminate a faulty socket on the server and established the drive must have been damaged/dropped prior to me receiving it.    So I called laptops direct on Sat 8th and they said because it was a weekend they were unable to help because the return has to be authorised by the tech team, so on Monday I raised a ticket and on Tuesday 9th they asked for a photo/video of the problem, I duly obliged with an image of the server screen saying clearly the drive was failing, and sent a message saying I had eliminated the possibility of the fault being with the server.   Every time they send a message it takes 24hrs to get a reply.   Later the same day a lady emailed back, she then thanked me and said she was glad I had solved the problem and closed the return.  I then had to call back and open a new support ticket and was again asked for a photo/video and I am still awaiting an email authorising its return, despite this I took it to the warehouse Wednesday and insisted they take the drive back and test it themselves.   Should they be doing this, I thought if an item was faulty upon arrival they had a duty to refund or replace, instead they are making me wait 3-5 days for the tech team to test the drive.  I did a simple quick test which took 3 minutes and established the drive was faulty.  The online literature states if the drive states it has bad sectors more than 2% as the server stated it had even if it can be restored to a working state you should not trust the drive and it should be returned. 
    • Hardly harassment if you hope that they send you another one on Friday !
    • Yes Andy, that was it  6.23.1.  That's twice I have been ambushed by CPR rules. It would be worth studying them to see if I can ever use to my advantage, or at least be familiar with them in any case. I still reckon a letterheaded paper with an address on it (different to the summons address of the defendant), does not constitute proper notification that service of further documents should now go to that address. Especially as the body of the letter simply said "Please find enclosed copy of defense" and gave no instruction that the new address was now the service address. Any how, the judge accepted my argument more.....................but it could have tripped me up. Instead, by wasting 40 minutes on it, the defense didn't spend enough time arguing the claim itself. In fact, I could have argued their defense far better than they did and would have done so on a no win no fee basis. My fee would have been for more than the value of the claim but far less than the one they had to pay their guy.  
  • Our picks

• Ebay Packlink and Hermes - destroyed item as it was "damaged". https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/430396-ebay-packlink-and-hermes-destroyed-item-as-it-was-damaged/&do=findComment&comment=5087347
      • 33 replies
    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
  • Recommended Topics

Paul v British Credit Trust. ** Third Party Now Involved**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5515 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well my DPA letter has gone off the British Credit Trust today. 40 days and counting.

As they have already defaulted me on this one and sent it to a collection agency I am keen to get the ball rolling on this one.

You may have noticed I have posted a similar thread about a Capital One claim. I thinks its probably best to keep them seperate as they will progrees seperately. Hope this is ok.

Paul

Halifax Status

LBA Sent 11/04/06

1/3 offered by phone 20/04/06 - Rejected

BCT Status

Statements Recieved 31/03/06

Capital One Status

Recieved Lie/Reply 24/04/06

Preferred, in fact

I have been informed by a phone call today that my agreement and loan with British Credit Trust has been 'sold' on to a third party going by the name of Marlin Financial.

After speaking to them they have given me 7 days to come to a financial arrangement with them regarding outstanding balance.

Do I now serve this company with a DPA?

British Credit Trust website has an FAQ section. One of the questions is:

Is it possible to transfer my agreement to a third party?

No, the agreement is only between you and us.

If this is the case why have they then been able to sell the debt on to a third party?

Just spoken to British Credit Trust by phone who told me that they have the legal right and perogative to transfer the agreement where as I do not. In addition they no longer hold a file as it has all been passed to the third party.

My question is do I deal with Marlin Financial now or ignore them and continue with British Credit Trust?

Paul

Halifax Status

LBA Sent 11/04/06

BCT Status

Capital One Status

Hi all!

In my view...

send a recorded delivery letter to both companies to be on the safe side.

If further down the line you are shuttled from pillar to post you,have the evidence - Recorded Delivery Slips together with copies of the exact letter to each party i.e.the loan company and the debt collection agency.

In the event of the loan company returning your letter and informing you in writing regarding the "passing on of your account/records etc to xyz debt services",you also will have the evidence that you are dealing with the debt collection agency only which you should then retain.

In brief:

ALWAYS RECEIVE CONFIRMATION OF THE INFO IN WRITING - ESPECIALLY WHAT IS SAID IN A TELEPHONE CONVERSATION!!!

I hope you find this advice useful.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

All the best!

• 2 weeks later...

I find it all very confusing. I have over £500 in charges added to my £200 card limit, which I havent paid yet, and it has been sent to a debt collector. I have paid the £200 back over the last 2 years but now the debt collector wants the full amount, charges and all. I asked the same question about a Captial One card and someone told me to send a letter to Capital One and the debt collection agency and someone else said not to send one to the debt collection agency but to carry on paying them and then claim back from Capital One. If I had taken the first persons advice (which I appreciate as they were trying to help me) I would have had a CCJ winging its way to me. So I am not sure how you sort it with different, well meant, info.

• 2 weeks later...

My question is do I deal with Marlin Financial now or ignore them and continue with British Credit Trust?

You may find this thread on the debthelpuk forum of use, but you'll have to read through all of it to get the gist

http://www.debthelpuk.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=DHUL;action=display;num=1139449055;start=

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Paul

Halifax Status

LBA Sent 11/04/06

BCT Status

Capital One Status

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5515 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks