Halifax charged me again

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5665 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Im [EDIT] cheesed off with the [EDIT] Halifax, they just charged me £35 again yesterday, 4th time in 3 months. As I have one of those stupid card cash accounts, when I went into my local branch on monday after picking my boys up from school, to pay in funds to cover my mortgage payment which was due out that day I attempted to pay in over the counter and was told by the cashier that "we cant accept your credit over the counter, you have to use the envelopes and post in the box over there!,

so filed in my account details on the back of the envelope when I noticed this "any transactions processed after 4pm will be applied to your account the next working day, by this time it was 20 to 4, so went back to the cashier and told her that if the box was not emptied before 4pm then the credit would not go in my account until tomorrow and I needed it in today or I would incurr a penalty charge, sorry said her but you cant pay it in any other way and she didnt know what time the box would be opened, why said I, because its the banks rules to keep the queue's down, the bank is empty said I and I want this cash in my account now, just then a guy walked behind her and said "Ive just emptied the box, il do it now for you" thank you said I and went about my business thinking everythings ok, enough in to pay mortgage.

Went into my email yesterday to find message from Halifax, 1 letter, they didnt pay my mortgage and charged me £35, so I called them up and asked why as there was enough cash in the account and this was their answer,

The DD was called at 5am and at that time you had insufficiant funds, I told the guy that id paid in before 4pm as I have done many times in the past as if the DD is not claimed at the begining of the banking day (5am) they try again at the close of the banking day, (ive paid in at qtr to 5 before and my DD been paid) well that was before, we dont do that any more, you must have enough funds in your account the day before, I went down the benefit route and told the guy his bank were [EDIT] taking my little boys DLA and my working tax credit, but he said he was not prepared to argue the point with me, I by this time was trying to keep quite calm although my voice was raised told the guy not to worry about any arguments from me, I would get my money back with interest as Im complaining to the Financial Ombudsman which would cost their bank £400 when my complaint is investigated by the Financial Ombudsman and then hung up. This weekend coming my complaint will be in the post and I hope it wipes the smug smirk from the sarcastic little [EDIT] cashier's face,:-x god I hate that bank and just to add to their costs, I was going to forget about the PPI they sneeked onto my credit card I used to have with them, self employed, cant claim, well Im not forgetting about it anymore, they refused to repay me £160 so wil complain to the financial Ombudsman about that as well:lol: ..Gc

GC, you go girl! They are getting worse, the staff are getting worse attitudes, and less knowledgable, bank staff appear to now be the 'defence' for the banks when anyone says 'cha......rges'

AB123uk

IF MY COMMENTS ARE USEFUL, PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES!

Halifax Staff Current Account WON

Lloyds WON

Yorkshire WON

Halifax Staff Visa WON

If CAG Helped you..... Why not help CAG!

Click Donate at the top of the forum!

Oyster- I fought the Lloyds will have it's mark in history- have you downloaded your Official Charges Track?

• 1 month later...

Hi al,

Had a phone call from the Halifax which to be honest took me by supprise,

this guy who's name I didn't catch told me Id complained to the FSO and he was calling me to attempt to rectify my complaint:o , He was only interested in the last charge of £35 and I told him that Id been charged 4 times since they refunded me last year, he started reading out parts of my complaint which I interupted and stated that every time thay [EDIT] took money from my account, that money is benefit money which the government states we are entitled to, and I said was it not against the law to use my benefit money for penalty charges. this guy then said "there is nothing in the social security admin act of 1980 (i think thats thats year he said) that states the that they are acting against the law when debiting my account for any such charges," he then went on to say that it costs the bank to return DD etc to which I said OK tell me how much that cost is and I will pay that amount, and said that he was being untruthful if he was claiming that it cost £35-£39 for each breach, he said he was not in a position to discuss their pricing structure and that on this occassion he would refund £35 as I had attempted to credit my account on the day of the last charge. I said you have charged me 4 times and because you did not pat the DD you are refunding me I was also charged £35 by the Abbey as it was a mortgage payment and were they going to refund that also. No he said we will refund the last charge of £35 and that is all, we are not prepared to refund the other 3 charges, He said he would put it in writing to me within the next few days and inform the FSO, I then said that as far as I was concerned my complaint to the FSO was about 4 charges not 1 and if they did not refund the rest I would submit a new complaint to the Ombudsman for the other 3 charges of £39 each, then hung up. Im going to write to the bank again about the contents of the call and that because they are refunding £35 that is not the end of my complaint, the way this guy was talking, £35 settled my complaint and he was informing the FSO that the issue had been resolved, I think not!!Gc

Hi Tiglet,

I'll be following this one closely... I also received a refund of charges last year and have gone on to be charged several times since. On the 29th I transferred my wage into the account at 7:45 and later received an online letter stating there had been two failed DD that day so have now incurred a £70 charge. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!

Yurp

I made a cheque payment May 2007 and soon forgot about it. November 2007 the cheque was bank and I has insufficent funds to cover this. I called Halifax begging for them to cancel this ridiculous £39 bank charge as the cheque was written 6 months ago which they refused. I decided not to pay and I am looking to change banks. Since then, Halifax have been adding on £28 charges at the end of each month. I received a letter in February stating that if the then £60 plus charges was not paid by 18th Feb, my account would be suspended, My account will be closed and bailiffs will be sent to my property. Well.... I still did not pay and the deadline has passed. My account is still active and Halifax has added on another £28 in Feb and I have received another letter stating that another £28 will be added on at the end of this month. £120 plus charges for a 6 month old £22 cheque. What can i do?

I wanted to claim back my previous paid bank charges but read somewhere that Halifax has now put all claims on hold until the pending court case has reached a decision.

They are a bunch of Bandits, the cash has to be in the day before it's due to come out.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I have had many arguments with them. I paid in £1 cash to cover the 23p deficit for my council tax on the due day (as I had done many times in the past) and they still bounced it for the sake of a few pence. When I rang to complain they said they had changed their policy and as maroondevo says the money has to be in the night before. I suggested that charging me £39 for being a few pence short was a little unreasonable and asked for a refund. However they said that as I had taken legal action against them they would not refund it:confused:. I had not taken legal action - I wrote and asked them to refund the money they had taken from my benefits and they did - it never got anywhere near a court.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

And they wonder, why people are sick to the back teeth with them.

:D Im now free from the clutches of the r********x ups halifax just in case im edited again, ive closed my account and they now owe me £15, wonder how long it will take them to pay me, Ive rejected the £35 they offered to repay me in full and final settlement and am continuing my complaint to the FOS, they want me to sign this form so that they can inform the ombudsman that they have resolved my complaint....not Gc

That's sound, Groovycaz. You should charge them a fee every day, until they stump up. :D

[When I rang to complain they said they had changed their policy and as maroondevo says the money has to be in the night before. I suggested that charging me £39 for being a few pence short was a little unreasonable and asked for a refund. However they said that as I had taken legal action against them they would not refund it:confused:.

Thats exactly what they did to me, complain to the financial services ombudsman, it costs them £400 and you will get your money back aswell..Gc

Hi, Groovycaz.

My latest claim against HBOS was a business claim, and FOS put it on hold. A couple of weeks ago I e-mailed FOS to say that the FSA had said the 'test case' did not include Business Accounts. HBOS phoned me last week and said they were willing to settle, but disputed the amount. I was claiming £4,960.00. they said they had checked and would only be willing to pay me £4,945.00. Did'nt take me long to accept.:D

Regards.

Scott.

That is fantastic Scott. Good on you. :D

I cant remember seeing a thread, so i cant "WON" you. :p

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Hi SSL - if you feel like recording a "WON" you could do this one for me

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/payment-protection-insurance-ppi/128548-first-plus-ppi-reclaim.html

My friends are now £20k less in debt:D

BANK CHARGES

Others

On my way. ;)

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

That is fantastic Scott. Good on you.
:D

I cant remember seeing a thread, so i cant "WON" you.
:p

Shhhhhhh, I've not got the cheque yet
;)

*whispers* Well make sure you let us know when you get it. :p

F&Q's... Read here

Will do, what's your tipple :p

• 6 months later...

Hello all

Just a quick update, I received a call from the Financial Ombudsman re: my complaint about these 4 charges and what I was told was, at this present time they are unable to uphold my complaint beacause of the test case, if my complaint was that the charges were unfair or to high then they would not be able to help, if I was complaining that they were unjust, then they will put my complaint on hold until the outcome of the test case even though they claim it could be a couple of years before the outcome.

So I'm on hold....Gc

Will be joining you in the queue here GC. Had four charges this month due to a Halifax cheque not clearing in my account at same branch for five days - £35 per charge for debit card payments all under a tenner. Tealeafs. I spent an hour on the phone shouting at some kid, then went into the branch to be told that they could have stopped the charges if the kid had not already refused to refund them. Aaaargh!

Edited by Goldlady
Change post before cagbot does!

BANK CHARGES

Others

There seems to be a lot of complaints about Halifux in this forum. They are the Devil in disguise.:mad:

Sorry, had to let that go. Didn't mean to hijack.

Slightly dyslexic as well.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)