overseas Student Loans victim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4986 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

Just found this site today whilst doing a web search on Smith Lawson Company to see how "real" they are.

My situation is similar, requests for deferrment forms ignored by SLC, and then letters demanding payment of arrears and fees from Smith Lawson Company. The amount is relatively low 150 pounds ish and I was reluctantly going to pay it just to get them off my back ( in the past 2000, I did give in and pay) but after reading other peoples stories I feel like I should stand my ground on principle.

I am currently granted a deferrment as I have been every year since my first original loan back in the 90's, but it is hit and miss as to whether I get the forms in time if at all and I realise I have no control over whether I will be hit with "late fees" for these deferrments each year. Also, being overseas, I get hit with extra high bank fees to transfer money to the UK, or to send an international money order. Part of me wants to ignore the whole situation as I don't know what they could do to me over here (the U.S) with regards to debt collection but I also want to behave ethically and pay what I fairly owe when I am in a financial position to do so.

Is it true that the debt is written off after I reach 50 ?

Any other overseas stories ? How does the time frame of responding to a request for my account information apply for overseas clients is it still 14 days ?

Hi boocar,

I'm sorry that you haven't had a reply to this yet. Hopefully, somebody will come along soon to answer your queries.

Can you just confirm that your only outstanding amount is £150(ish) as it isn't clear from the above.:)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

I currently "owe" according to SLC 74.40 in arrears and 88.89 in "charges" plus the balance of the loan which is currently deferred. (They don't state what the charges are for.)

Thanks for reading !

boocar