HSBC PPI - More than 6 years or not?

dannyboy1972

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I’ve been searching through this forum and MSE but haven’t quite found what I’m looking for, so am after a bit of advice.

I am trying to claim back the PPI insurance (as I was self-employed at the time) on a 3 year loan for £6000 that I got from HSBC in March 1999 - I Paid off this loan early in September 2001, but I no longer have the agreement. When I paid of the loan early I received a little bit of the interest back but none of the PPI.

I wrote a letter in Oct 2007 and initially tried to claim back the PPI stating that I was self-employed, but HSBC replied in December 2007 saying that I would have been covered by the insurance and turned down my claim.:rolleyes:

I then asked for a copy of my initial agreement in Dec 2007 and have been told that this is past the 6 year limit and they don’t have the agreement anymore - although that didn't stop them making a decision a month earlier.:confused:

As the loan was due to finish in Mar 2002 and I would have been covered by the PPI until this date:

Am I past the 6 year mark or not?

Is this worth pursuing?

Should I go down the ‘Data Protection Act’ road?

If anyone can give any advice I would be most grateful.:D

Dan

This is a very difficult one - they are obliged to retain key documents until six years after the end of the relevant tax year the agreement ended. On balance therefore, to argue they have not got the documents would probably put them in breach of this. (There is more info in the PPI stickies on this.)

Having established that they SHOULD have the document, it then leads to the problem of proving it. Certainly the ICO would be a place to start, but you need to move quickly whatever you decide.

Alan, Derby, UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.