Calling all techies...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5904 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you had to back up 4TB (Terrabytes) of data on a shoestring, how would you do it? :confused:

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Is the shoestring tied or untied?
Big Brother is the worst show on TV. :)

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

The shoestring is a few hundred pounds at most. My current thinking is to hire a DLT tape drive for a few days and back it up onto 800GB tapes.

Guest louis wu
My current thinking is to hire a DLT tape drive for a few days and back it up onto 800GB tapes.

What's Dave Lee Travis got to do with this?:)

Have U checked out Online 3rd Party Servers for cost??...:confused:

...:)

Yes. About £2 per !GB per month. Therefore the cost would be about £8000 per month. :o

You can get very cheap external USB drives. I have a 1tb one that suits me down to the ground. Made by Buffalow.

Amazon.co.uk: Buffalo 1TB DriveStation Turbo USB External Hard Drive: Electronics & Photo

I know you can get them cheaper than that. Mine was about 200 for the same size (but not the same model).

...but for 4tb, this is still expensive.

The other way would be to have an old PC with a load of old HDDs in it and install linux, RAID 5 (stripe) the lot until you have the 4tb you need.

So in effect, you'd be creating your own file server.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

The other way would be to have an old PC with a load of old HDDs in it and install linux, RAID 5 (stripe) the lot until you have the 4tb you need.

So in effect, you'd be creating your own file server.

A USB x shoestring adaptor !! :D

First of all I had to look up how big a terrabyte was :D

Then I thought why did you have such a BIG HUGE BEASTLY amount of data that needs backing up? What are you running? A spaceship! :eek:

My answer is:

"It will cost you a load of big money to backup such a HUGE amount of data, and why have you got a bigger hard drive than me?":)

Just as the mad professor in Back To The Future said, Emmett Brown:

"It can't be done. It just can't be done"

Sorry!

I believe in Fair Debt - not chance

Lol this made me and my techie OH laugh. (He has bootstraps!)

But on a serious note, this is what the techie suggests:

If you have contiguous data and need an image then the linux/raid combination sounds like a good option.

If you just need to safe files the external USB drives are great and depending if you have a month spare to sit and click and drag your files, you could use something like LaCie drives as these proved to be most reliable for long term storage (as long as you dont knock them over)

Other then that avoid tapes - cheap but apparently difficult to get 2nd set of equipment to read the original tapes. Even problems with same equipment few months later!

Depending on budget it might be wise to invest in a firewire 800 card as usb 3 isnt here yet. THis will safe you many many hours of transferring.

These are the best cheap options depending on technical skill.

Other then that the cheapest option is pop down to Woolworths and buy a large stack of jotter pads for your 1's and 0's :confused::p (apparently you techies understand this)

Ok i am totally confused by this but hope you understand what my OH was rambling about :D

Good Luck

LMS

My OH, who is a professional techie and has filled the entire flat with c**p like this, highly recommends a tape drive such as an HP Ultrium-4 1840, that supports 1.6TB tapes and can be had for around £2,000-3,000. LMS, I'm sorry, but tapes are a very reliable media, and perfect for this sort of storage - HP Ultrium tapes are very heavily tested and there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to read them in another compatible device.

The cheapest way would be to buy a load of TB hard drives and configure them in a RAID-0 (or RAID-5, depending on how much cash you have - I know you said shoestring ;) - and if you want redundancy) system.

If you can't afford that, then you're a bit buggered, my old chum :)

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Thanks for all the feedback folks. In the short term it looks like I'll be buying 8 500GB hard drives for about £50 each. I'll be plugging them in long enough to fill them up and then putting them safely into storage. In the slightly longer term I think I'll switch to dual layer Blu-ray discs, which can hold up to 50GB each. At the moment the cheapest is about £17, but I read a news article which suggested that the cost is about to plummet to about £3 as Blu-ray looks to be winning the format war with HD-DVD.

That's why I will be filling it up and then unplugging it. It will go back into its packaging, nice and safe and sound. :)