Switching to Vista

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4965 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me at all, I am currently considering switching from XP to VIsta. I have checked with my service provider that all will be ok with my current modem, they have assurred me that the modem is compatible, which is great. But my concern is that I have a LAN and am using a wireless router.... and I want to run one PC with Vista and keep the other on XP, my service provider has told me that they do not know if the router will support running 2 different operating systems (or even just vista alone). This is all way out of my depth so I was wondering if someone would be able to advise, my Router is MSI Wireless-G (Model- RG54G3)

By the way I do not use this router as wireless currently, but have cable connections (always been a bit wary of wireless stuff )

I hope that I have not made myself look too stupid but I really only ' use ' the computer as such and have very little knowledge of the hardware.

Any help would be much appreciated:)

My personal recommendation is stick with XP on both machines. So far Vista has yet to prove itself a competent operating system and is a resource hogging piece of bloatware.

I justify my statement by looking at the system requirements for recent software which always seems to require more/faster hardware under Vista than XP.

Still, thats my opinion: others may differ.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me at all, I am currently considering switching from XP to VIsta. I have checked with my service provider that all will be ok with my current modem, they have assurred me that the modem is compatible, which is great. But my concern is that I have a LAN and am using a wireless router.... and I want to run one PC with Vista and keep the other on XP, my service provider has told me that they do not know if the router will support running 2 different operating systems (or even just vista alone). This is all way out of my depth so I was wondering if someone would be able to advise, my Router is MSI Wireless-G (Model- RG54G3)

By the way I do not use this router as wireless currently, but have cable connections (always been a bit wary of wireless stuff )

I hope that I have not made myself look too stupid but I really only ' use ' the computer as such and have very little knowledge of the hardware.

Any help would be much appreciated:)

Hi,

Without knowing your computer specifications that you intend to run Vista on, I can't really pass comment on how the operating system will perform compared your XP experience.

Whilst it by any means isn't a 'hogging piece of bloatware' it does operate the 'back end' processes in a completely different way to XP which does inflate the hardware requirements.

In terms of the Router, you shouldn't have any issues running it in a wired network. The Router itself is not operating system dependant as to set it up and maintain it, you log into it through your web browser.

There have been cases where on a Vista/XP network both computers have been unable to access each other. It can be sorted easily enough, but does require a bit of delving around in some of the more intermediate areas of both systems.

Hi,

Thanks everyone for all you comments, all have been noted, so I think that my router issue etc will be ok.... but now I am a little concerned about using Vista....... sounds as if I could be acusing myself other issues????

Funhat, I thought that I would let you know the specs of the PC, and wondered if then you might be able to tell me if Vista would be an issue on this PC:

Base : - Intel® Celeron® D Processor 347 (3.06GHz, 533FSB, 512k cache)

Memory: - 2048MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz [4x512] Memory

Operating System : - Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic - English

Video Card : - Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3000

Hard Drive: - 160GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB dataBurst™ cache

Floppy Drives : - Internal 13-in-1 Media Card Reader

Cd/DvD Drives: - 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

Sound Cards: - Integrated Audio with Dolby Digital 7.1 capability

Now what should I do:confused:

Vista will certainly run perfectly ok on your system (although you seem to indicate you already have it?)

But, I still maintain that XP will run many applications faster than Vista. Personally, I play a few system intensive games and there is no way I would compromise their performance by installing Vista. You could try dual booting and compare to see which you prefer.

Vista will certainly run perfectly ok on your system (although you seem to indicate you already have it?)

But, I still maintain that XP will run many applications faster than Vista. Personally, I play a few system intensive games and there is no way I would compromise their performance by installing Vista. You could try dual booting and compare to see which you prefer.

Hi, Sorry about that, info is about the PC that I am thinking of buying from a friend..... which already has Vista installed, thats where my problem now seems to be .... all will be ok with Modem and router etc.... but it's do I or dont I go ahead and buy this PC with Vista I will now have to sit and think real hard.........:confused:

Ah, I see. Well, you could go ahead and buy the PC from your friend, but if you wanted to "downgrade" to XP or dual boot, you would have to buy a copy of XP. OEM versions of XP Home can be bought for around £50.

Thing is, most new PCs come with Vista installed, so you may not have much of a choice.

The computer specification will be fine for Vista and you shouldn't experience any performance issues with it. If it's up and running on Vista already, then I don't see the point in spending further money and more hassle to go back to XP.

If it aint broke and all..

You'll have to upgrade to Vista to take advantage of Directx 10 games at some point though?

You'll have to upgrade to Vista to take advantage of Directx 10 games at some point though?

Eventually perhaps. For the time being though, I can live without Halo. Most other games will run happily on DX9 or 10. Crytek have been at bit naughty with Crysis, for example, because they have deliberately reduced the effects on DX9 (perhaps to exaggerate the difference). Crysis can easily be tweaked so there is virtually no difference between DX9 and DX10.

The Crysis Cove - DirectX 9 vs. 10

Eventually perhaps. For the time being though, I can live without Halo. Most other games will run happily on DX9 or 10. Crytek have been at bit naughty with Crysis, for example, because they have deliberately reduced the effects on DX9 (perhaps to exaggerate the difference). Crysis can easily be tweaked so there is virtually no difference between DX9 and DX10.

The Crysis Cove - DirectX 9 vs. 10

That was an interesting link, thanks for posting it :)

Crysis is an absolutely awesome game, it's such a shame that it really takes a top end machine to run it at an acceptable level. The physics in it are the best I've seen.

Have you made the 'hacks' to DX9 for that, I'd be interested to see what kind of performance hit a computer takes on it?

You don't hack DX9, you change the config file in Crysis itself. Theres a link on the page I posted which has the config settings to download. I haven't tried it myself as my pc can only run Crysis on medium settings until I upgrade. Yes there will likely be a performance hit, but not as much as DX10 + Vista.

I think we better stop though in case we are accused of hijacking the OPs thread!! (although its still relavant to XP vs Vista)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to put my tuppence in. I have been running Vista Ultimate for a long time now. I never get any problems, it runs absolutely fine.

I've had no driver issues, program compatibility issues or hardware issues.

One thing I will say is I don't do gaming on my pc so can't comment on that, I'm one for saying if you want to game by a gaming console lol!

Majority of people I know who use XP are staying where they are until Vista has had a lot of ironing out done in a few service packs, atm a lot of hardware and other things they use dont have the proper support etc on vista.

Hi i have both, vista on one computer and xp on another. I must be one of the few that actually enjoy working with vista. They are both running via a wireless network which works pretty well. Vista has alot of features that are easier to use than xp. Its just getting used to it. I was always told that the best way to learn about computers is to wade in and try stuff.

:eek:

I was just trawling through CAG on my way to the DCA forums, when I spotted a similar username to mine :D

Great minds eh, brassdoff ;)

Having said that, I really do need to post on this forum anyway as I'm having problems with an old comp running XP and a new one running Vista.

We have had major problems and Mr Bo has totally given up now. He was trying to sort out a wireless laptop for me too :rolleyes:

Sorry for mini hijack there babynan, will start my own thread at some point - I should know better :D

Well, that's me subbed :lol:

Something that you haven't said is what exactly is the PC going to be used for. If it is going to be used for games then the first thing I would be concerned about is the graphics card. If it is just for word processing, internet browsing and other non resource intense things then this system is fine. Another question is will the hardware on the PC run with XP. It is rare and they probably will but I have seen a Sony Vaio run with Vista but could not get all the drivers for XP.

So the question I feel you need to answer first is what is the PC going to be used for. Will make our advise allot more relative than just XP V's Vista.

J.

HSBC Owing £618.00 charges + £106.57 Interest = £724.57 total. See how I went about doing it here

Preliminary letter sent - 20.10.06

Found out the Postoffice have LOST the prelim letter - 7.11.06!!! :mad:

Re-sent prelim letter - 8.11.06

Confirmed delivery - 15.11.06

LBA sent recorded delivery - 23.11.06

HSBC offer £525, Rejected 7.12.06

MCOL filed with revised sum of £744.10 - 17.12.06

Letter of Acknowledgement recieved - 22.12.06

Statements sent to DG and courts - 27.12.06 (NEARLY THERE!!)

AQ letter recieved - 17.01.07

AQ Letter handed in to court - 02.02.07

Letter from D&G offering full amount -03.02.07:D

Money in account - 14.02.07!!

We get charged enough in TAXES and just general living without those whom we trust with managing what little money we do get to keep unlawfully charging us, especialy when their profits are so huge.

We run two, one xp on the desktop, which Gaz uses and I run Vista. Gaz's is conected to the router and static, but my laptop is vista and wireless.

I use mine for work, planing beaver programes and activites and spreedsheets. I do some games but not a lot. But it's not to bad I've not had anything major with it.

If what we say helps you, then please tip the scales.:cool:

Vista 32 bit is pretty much a complete OS now and most of the bugs and hardware compatibility issues have been ironed out - ffs don't put 64 bit on anything that you require to actually work or add any hardware to though!!

ffs don't put 64 bit on anything that you require to actually work or add any hardware to though!!

Not had any problems with the 64 bit version of Vista Ultimate either in stability or hardware compatibility. The only downside is that Vista is memory hungry.

Vista took a while to get used to, and there are a couple of features which are a minor irritation - user account control being the main one, but I like it.

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.

If you find the advice useful please click on my scales.

• 2 weeks later...

just out of interest

when i bought my laptop, vista was pre installed

downgraded to xp pro as nothing worked with vista

when vista has all its bugs ironed out, and want to re-install , how do i download it.

i have oem number for vista on the bottom of laptop, but vista disc did not come with computer

i have paid the licence as it was a new pc

One word from me: don't.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

i have oem number for vista on the bottom of laptop, but vista disc did not come with computer

i have paid the licence as it was a new pc

Did you not get a recovery disc with the lappy?

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.

If you find the advice useful please click on my scales.