biggest gas bill in the world(Milton Keynes)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Im new to the site and just stumbled across it tonight - couldn't resist adding my bit.

I have had big problems with British Gas, have been with them 6 yrs no problem for gas and electric, paying by standing order on a monthly budget. I moved in March 06, and from a 4 bed to another 4 bed, and the payment amount never increased. In May 07 they wrote saying my 52.00 per month gas and elec had to be increased to 104 per month and 106 per month respectively to cover the huge debt I had on my account. I had in my ignorance filed the statements away each month as they took the money from my account automatically, and increased it in the past accordingly. Anyway long(very long) story short, I argued with them that they had not notified me or increased the monthly plan when they should have. They told me it was now possible to review the accounts after three months but previously it was set for a year. So off to Energy Watch, the lot, they agreed it was BG fault for not advising me that the payments had to be increased, and they would agree to accept 60.00 per month - I even got it in writing. A week later disconnection letter for the gas as they would not accept the previous agreement of 60.00 per month as it would take too long to clear the bill. I couldnt win no matter how much I tried, and had to pay the 104 per month until the bill was cleared, hip hip hooray it was cleared in October so I left BG and moved to NPower. I was in credit the day I went to NPower of a fiver (and would BG give it back - No) anyway, after NPower said they would not take my electricity account as I had a debt still with BG, and they increased their prices, I switched back to BG for the gas, therefore my gas and elec were both again with BG. I done this on 2nd December, so owed just 6 weeks to NPower for gas, had paid the first monthly payment of £50.00 and recieived a final bill of a further £80! Not yet paid this. I recieved a chase up for the NPower bill and a final bill from BG from before I left, even though they told me I was a fiver in credit, it would appear they made a mistake and the final bill of 42.00 was now payable and had to be cleared asap. I have since had a debt letter for the 42.00 even though I have a new set up with them and pay then 60 per month (which was over and above what they asked for based on my previous 3 months usage). Two weeks ago I phoned BG to ask about the dates they stopped and started supplying my gas, as I couldnt believe that I owed NPower 130.00 for 6 weeks supply. Anyway, apparently I did. okay so I realised they put their charges up and had left so that was tough. On phoning BG to ask the dates they pointed out that since December 2nd when I came back to them, up until my call (two weeks ago) I had run up a gas bill of wait for it....£400! jesus I left Npower cos the bill for 6 weeks was over 130.00, I should have stayed! I never, never have my thermostat over 20, the heating and water is on timed, 2 hrs in the morning and 4 hrs in the evening, I dont cook by gas. My friends come in my house and go early as they say it is cold, and whilst the windows are being replaced and are drafty I actually have plastic sheeting up the patio door to stop the draft - Im sat here with blue hands and feet (cant type in gloves) and wonder if anyone has any suggestions (that are printable!) as to what has gone wrong. The meter readings are not estimates, they are correct readings given by me (and double checked)..... I have told the landlord that Im movinig out in Feb as I cant afford to pay 1200 for three months heating, but has anyone else had a bill like mine. I actually wouldnt mind if I was running a greenhouse from indoors, but my house is cold and the heating is rarely on (even more rare now after a bill like that)

It would cost you £100 for a little generator, £10 for an extension cable and £40 for a couple of halogen heaters.

for the price of the petrol, you can heat your upstairs/downstairs without incurring huge bills.

Not meant to be practical, but it's what I've resorted to in order to avoid giving Npower my money. and increasing my £1400 for 8 weeks use

If you do it, ensure the genny is well ventilated

Hope this helps

If you feel that this site has helped you in any way please leave a donation if you can afford to do so.

If you feel that have been helpful please feel free to tip the scales.

The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away. ~Tom Waits, Small Change

Please note: i am not a qualified lawyer, any advice is offered in good faith and is based on my own and others experiences and a penchant for research and a desire to help others to empower themselves

I lived in a 4 bed house until last year and had been paying £30 per month in gas, for heating, water and cooking and the timer was set to 24hrs. When I left, SE Gas paid me £30 rebate! My electric was on keymeter and cost around £60 per month.

Sounds to me like your meter(s) may be faulty. I would contact BG and insist on a new meter. If your bills then reduce, you will be in a position to claim back any overpayment.