Please, please can someone offer some advice? Re; Barclaycard

***inca***
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5911 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

This is the only place that I can think to come where I might get some sensible answers as to what to do.

I was out of work last year until March, when I started a new job. As I hadn't been working I had an agreement with barclaycard that I would pay £30 a month. My credit limit with them is £1200 (hardly millions, but there we go) and my balance was about £1300 at that time. I started my new job and kept up my payments.

Then at the end of July it all went wrong and they brought in someone much, much cheaper than me to do my job (I looked into this legally, and as I was still in my probation period they could basically do what they liked) and I found myself without any work again. I wrote to BC and told them this, and believe I made my last payment in August.

I started a new position just before Christmas and wrote to them again saying that I would be able to make a payment very soon (Jan/Feb, depending on when I got paid)

Well, this morning I received a letter from 'Credit Solutions' - I don't know if this is a seperate company to BC, or a sub-dept of them if you see what I mean. It was a final demand for payment. I rang them right away and explained my situation, and that I was being paid on the 1st Feb.

The lady said that they would require either the full balance, or minimum £200 a month. I said that I could do neither, and that the most I could afford would be around £50 a month.

She said that she would accept that as a first payment, to come off of my Solo card on the 1st Feb, but that they would then 'look at my finances' to see what I could afford, and that I would need to send them my payslip and a list of all of my outgoings.

Now, I am not entering into an IVA with them, so do I really need to send them this information? I know that if I do this they will say I can afford more than £50 and I will basically have no money to live on until the debt is paid off.

I don't know what to do for the best, I have been in tears this morning as she mentioned being taken to court and it going on my credit file for 6 years - I thought things only stayed on your credit file for that long if you had an IVA or bankrupcy?

Can someone please help, I don't know what to do!!!! :sad:

Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you on experience ;)

Inca V Crapital One: Low monthly payments accepted - Paid

Inca V HSBC (Charges): WON - Charge reversed.

Inca V Barclaycard/CSL: Complaint sent after CSL illegally took money from my account. Dispute ready to send: Not heard anything since March 2009! Jan 2011 Rc'd letter from new debt collectors saying they have bought the debt. Joy!

Inca's Nan V Saga Card: Utter *****!! Low payments eventually accepted

Inca's Nan V MBNA: Low payments accepted

Inca's sister V Moorcroft: WON. Low payments accepted.

Inca's sister V Thames Credit: Nothing received. Dispute sent 08/01/09: Not heard a dicky bird since March 2009!

Hi :)

First off don't panic. If you get some time have a read around the forum, your situation is far from rare and is easily manageable with the right information. I like most others panicked when a couple of debts when to debt collectors, but once you know how to handle them its not a big deal. Two things first off:

1. Dont talk to them by phone anymore, have all future correspondance in writing only.

2. Don't send them your payslip, theyve got no legal right to this.

If it gets as far as court and you get a CCJ it does stay on your file for 6 years, but as long as your in regular communication with them and make a reaosable offer of payment it won't go this far.

You need to find out if they're entitled to reclaim this debt, so send them a CCA request:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html You want letter N for now. Make sure you send this recorded delivery. When you recieve the agreement scan it into your comp, post it on here and someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to tell you whether or not it's valid :)

You should also find out if this debt is made up of penalty charges, or payment protection insurance (which is widely misold and can be refunded). Have you got all your past statements, or can you access them online?

And if your not working you may be entitled to benefits, check out:

entitledto

National debtline are excellent if you want any more advice 08088084000

Thank you for your reply.

I do feel so very alone in all this, I'm sat here on my day off today and I know that I'm going to be in tears on and off for most of it.

First of all, I don't want to get into whether or not I should be paying all of the debt...some of it is made up of late payments fees having beed added on when I wasn't working, and they are the agreements I signed up to aren't they :(

I want to pay them, I want to get this debt to BC done and dusted, but not at £200 a month, and not by sending off payslips and letting them see exactly what I do with my money every month.

You've said they can't legally ask to see my payslip, that's a great weight off my mind....

Can they honestly refuse my money if I am saying I can pay £50 a month towards this 1400 debt?

I'm working at the moment by the way...

Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you on experience ;)

Inca V Barclaycard/CSL: Complaint sent after CSL illegally took money from my account. Dispute ready to send: Not heard anything since March 2009! Jan 2011 Rc'd letter from new debt collectors saying they have bought the debt. Joy!

Inca's sister V Thames Credit: Nothing received. Dispute sent 08/01/09: Not heard a dicky bird since March 2009!

Right CCA them as suggested, send with £1 PO and dont sign it just print your name.

Get some money from the bank and CANCEL YOUR DEBIT CARD and tell the bank you lost it and get a new one.

Dont ever give DCAs credit or debit card details or stetup DDs, SO only, they could chance their arm on the day you said you will pay and put it in for any amount leaving you up the creek without a paddle!

Get them to send you paying in slips or use a cheque and pay them only what YOU CAN AFFORD if its only 20 quid so be it, if they cash it they have accepted it.

Right CCA them as suggested, send with £1 PO and dont sign it just print your name..

Can I ask why I'd be doing this?? Sorry! I really am new to all these forums!

Get some money from the bank and CANCEL YOUR DEBIT CARD and tell the bank you lost it and get a new one.

Dont ever give DCAs credit or debit card details or stetup DDs, SO only, they could chance their arm on the day you said you will pay and put it in for any amount leaving you up the creek without a paddle!

Get them to send you paying in slips or use a cheque and pay them only what YOU CAN AFFORD if its only 20 quid so be it, if they cash it they have accepted it.

Would they really chance doing that? Also, the woman on the phone said that just because they are accepting £50 this time, it doesn't mean they have agreed to it on a longer basis.

It has been suggested to me on another ite that I send them my SOA with a cheque for £50.

I will cancel my debit card and send Credit Solutions a cheque dated for when I am paid, I will say that £50 is all I can afford per month.

Should I also send them my SOA with the first cheque?

If you can afford £50 send it but look at long term, can you afford £50 every month?

If not send less as if you pay the same every month they are happy.

Dont tell them its all you can afford just send with reference number they have given you and dont bother to send them your expenses details.

The reason you dont talk to them on the phone, EVER is because they can say anything they want, just like this woman you spoke to, get it in writiing you then have a copy of it.

You send a CCA request of to them to see If They have the right to collect it, no CCA=No pay

I can just about manage £50, and it'll be good for me to pay that amount as otherwise it'll seem like it's taking forever to pay off.

I am cancelling my Solo card.

It has also been suggested to me that I don't deal with the DCA, and that I send this cheque to BC and deal with them directly...

Is this the way to go or not do you think?

You can deal with whoever you prefer but will probably still get threat letters from DCA, BC would probably be safer and get them to stop interest.

With regard to you question about would they, there is a thread somewhere about where the client wanted and agreed to pay £40 they took £400! He got it back by complaining to te bank.

Inca

Just get your CCA request off asoon as poss and get it recored del or better next day gt now if you do not recieve a reply within !2 +2 days the account is in default and followed by another 30 days they have comited a criminal offence. If after the 14 days they fail to supply it you are entitled to with old payment altogether so dont worry about the amount or how long it will take because what they usually provide is unenforcable anyway.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I understand what your saying about wantring to pay back money you owe, and this is a goodf thing. However, If some of the debt is made up of late payment fees you really need to get ahold of your statements and find out exactly how much - its your money and the general consensus is that these fees are unlawful. You can claim it back, and its not neccesarily a big hassle.

£50 a month is a big repayment on a £1300 debt, i wouldve though as a debt collector theyd bite your arm off for £20 a month. Id start by offering them £10, with a view to paying a max of £20 (only if you can afford this every month). Im sure you can pay of more on the months when you have some spare money, and if times get tight again in the future you're not stuck with a £50 repayment every month.

A CCA request is to find out if the debt collector has a copy of your original credit agreement, which they legally must have in order to pursue this debt. If they dont have it the debt will be passed back to Barclaycard.

I really want to stress the penalty charges point though - the chances are there a few hundred pounds worth at least on this debt, and you are entitled to it back.