Need some dog advice.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5932 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

Need advise on this and cant find a correct place.

We have 2 dogs. The eldest is 6 and a german shepard we have had him 2 years and the youngest is about 18 mths old and we have had him since he was about 6 weeks.

Now we have started to develop a problem which started small but is now happening quite a lot.

The German SHepard keeps attack the Jack Russel. this has been happening quite a bit and most of the time German shepard does not hurt Jack russel but he has bit him in the past couple of days, He has also taken to Weeing on him, We no it cat be the Jack russel weeing on himself as it is all over his back and head.

Neither dogs have had the snip and we are looking into that. We have noticed tho that there is no reason for attack most of the time. since the begin of the month german shepard has attacked because Jack russel has gone for jack russels food or water or just walked by.

Any advise would be appreciated.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

yes both dogs are male and yes there are other males in the house.

i am the only female.

The cat is male and i have my partner and our 4 year old son and my brother in the household aswell

Both the male dogs ball are still in place. The cats are not tho.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I suspect that your GSD is attempting to establish dominance, certainly over the Jack Russell.

If you have no intention of breeding from them I'd definitely recommend having them both castrated. It will still take a little while after the op for the situation to normalise because hormone levels need to fall.

As the GSD was in the pack first he feels dominant to the incomer so I'd also recommend maintaining his position by feeding him first etc while maintaining the human's position as pack leaders by feeding him after you have all eaten.

The situation has probably arisen because the Jack Russell is becoming sexually mature and it's a contest for position as alpha male.

I agree as well. It certainly sounds like your GSD is wanting to be Alpha male and feels threatened by the presence of another mature dog so he's exerting his dominance over the little fella.

It would be worth having a chat with your vet about having him castrated but don't expect miracles. It does take time for them to settle down afterwards but it is normally very effective. As Robdblynd said, it may be best having them both "done" as the last thing you want is the Jack Russell trying to become dominant.

As a word of caution, and this is not being sensationalist in any way, just be aware that if your GSD feels that his position is being threatened he MAY respond to the slightest provocation. I had my 4 year old pedigree stud dog castrated a year ago when he started to challenge me, never my wife - hence the question about other males in the house. Be very careful about leaving your 4 year old alone with the dog. They are intelligent but indescriminate animals so please don't take any risks. A simple thing like taking a toy from the dog MAY provoke him to attack - it's not a fault with the dog, it's what his instinct tells him to do. At the moment it is probably unlikely that he would take on your son but I would be interested to know how he behaves towards your partner and your brother.

Incidentally, my now less than pedigree dog is the perfect companion and responds to me almost without argument.

I think all the above is very good advice I sugest untill things settle you may need to get a crate for your JR to give him somewhere wherr he can take refuge an. Think this a male hormone problem a crate is not cruel it will give a save place of refuge for the samlle dog

he is fine with us all. I cant really do as much with him due to him being stronger than me but l do what l can. The only real problem l have with him is his strength as when he pulls he pulls and i have been over but he is normally walked by my partner or brother as they are stronger than me. I have injured my should before threw walking him as he pulled me badly when he saw a cat l know this is normal behaviour tho as the JR who is not so strong does pull when he sees a cat and if you are not expecting it then it is a shock.

I have got him on voice and lead commands. It took a while but l now understand why as he was abused a bit by the female owner that had him last.

he did take a while to respond to me and do things like eat food l had put down and a few other things like when called or when he was outside to come in. He would never take a treat from me and whenever l touched him he wold always back away and think l was going to hurt him. he is fine with me now thought and it took about 6 mths for him to fully trust me but l was told after i found this out about 15 minutes ago that is normal behaviour.

He does not have toys as he does not play with them he just left them sitting there. TBH l think that they are still in the garden gathering mould.

Chrissi

I wouldn't agree with a crate even though he is a small dog. Restricting his movement will only serve to make him agressive.

Dogs hate surprises so one thing you might want to try while you wait to have him castrated is a water pistol. GSD p*sses on Jack Russell, you p*ss on him (not literally). It works. Better still, if he's around get your partner to do it but DEFINITELY NOT YOUR SON as he is smaller than the GSD and doesn't smell of testosterone

Chrissi, my beast is also too strong for me if he wanted to, although he tends to obey, but I have bought one of those harnesses that holds him across the chest and legs, and it makes all the difference compared to when he is on ordinary collar. DH still uses the normal one, but with my bad back, I just couldn't take the risk that he would decide to try and drag me if he took the notion in his head. A tenner well spent, IMO.

A crate used in a responsible way can give a small dog or any dog a sense of where he /she can go that is there own I would NEVER recomend shutting any dog up for any lenght of time But it gives a dog a place which is

theres where they can go where other dogs in the house cannot get, it does not make them aggresive if it is used properly if on the otherhand you shut them in all the time it would make them agressive the dog needs to know that its there place where another dog cannot get at them ,As for a harness its great

A Halti or Gentle Leader head collar also work very well because they work to turn the dog's head towards you as they pull, thus altering their focus. It is also almost impossibole for a dog wearing such a head collar to pull as there is no strength in the muzzle, as opposed to a harness or normal collar, where they can use their body weight against you.

I was going to mention Halti but my PC fell over and I couldn't find a non commercial link when I did get it back.

I would certainly recommend the Halti as it doesn't pull on the dog and actually requires no physical strength to control the dog, the Halti does it all.

The problem is getting the damn thing on the dog in the first place

we brought him a harness and he broke it so we decided on not buying another one. I dont really walk him i have the JR more we also walk them late and live in a safe area so half the time they are no really on a lead now. Were we walk them is down a alley way and round the corner then we hit a big field so we know it is safe to not lead them.

One problem a friend thought of was is the GS sexually frustrated. He has not had any since we have had him and l dont know if he got any b4. JR has not had any either could this be part of the problem?

Chrissi

Just an idea. I dont know if any or in season but l do no he might like to have a go.

He tried it on once with a neighbours dog and she did not like it. it was a huskey cross staffe

well her parents were not the same breed and she ended up with a alsation and the puppys look a bit strange.

Chrissi

If there is no in season bitch around all he will think about is being top dog and taking on all other males around him.

I was told (by some-one studying to be a vet) that dogs often treat human females in the same way as female dogs. In both instances, they try to attract the female who they see as in season. The dog leaves "presents" in the form of an "aromatic" wee scent because it assumes you will like it! Check out the occurances in line with your own monthly cycle.

that is not going to be part of it. This only started really october and l am pregnant of 5 mths so l dont think my periods would effect GSD

Chrissi try a dogmatic to walk him, theyre like horse bridles, the control is phenominal :)

i have two dane sized crates here if you can get one picked up you are more than welcome, and they do appreciate them as they see them as "their space" ;)

honey x

erm where would l get one of those from?