Unfair Paypal/NCO Europe claim - what should I do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5916 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'll give you a brief outline of what has happened.

In September, I sold my old MacBook on eBay for around £700 to a Lithuanian guy. At first, I was dubious, as I am well aware of the various [problematic] around the world. However, his paypal payment cleared into my bank account so I sent the laptop.

Anyway, six weeks later, PayPal notify me that they are charging back the funds as they were processed on a stolen credit card. I responded as requested, and they then sent an email saying that the problems were resolved, and if there was anything else I needed to know, then I could ask. So, I thought, problem over.

Anyway, mid January - and NCO Europe keep calling, saying I have an outstanding balance of £7** or whatever. I have called paypal, and they are "looking into" the case they have supposedly resolved. Its been 2 weeks since PayPal said they were looking into it, and NCO have called 3 times, and have left a card saying they are coming on Tuesday.

I don't know what to do, PayPal assured me it was fine, and now send NCO to "collect debt"?! NCO have also promised me that the NCO case is ON HOLD until PayPal get back to them, however, they keep calling and the story is completely different every time.

I am starting to panic, and don't really know what to do.

Any advice is welcome.

Thankyou.

Hiya, It sounds like your having an absolute nightmare.

With regards to paypal and dealing with them. I have recently had an absolute nightmare with them. Everytime i phoned i was giving different information than the last call i had made. I demanded to speak to a manager in the end who did eventually sort out my problem. He called back when he said he was going to. I certainly wouldnt bother with there call centre staff.

Im sure someone will come along and advise you what to do regarding the debt or not a debt.

I think its an absolute disgrace how these big companies can treat people and get away with it.

Good luck

karen

First of all:

1) You received money which was drawn on a stolen card account.

2) You then downloaded this money to your bank, so you have had the money.

3) Paypal then had to repay £700 to the credit card company.

4) Paypal then debited £700 from your Paypal account, leaving you £700 in the red.

Therefore, you owe Paypal £700, this is what NCO are attempting to collect from you.

You've been scammed by someone thousands of miles away and they have had your lappy free.

Paypal/NCO dont care. The only way out of it is to repay Paypal the £700 they returned to the CC company on your behalf.

The guy in Lithuania has screwed you, though its hardly practical to sue him in Lithuania, you could report the matter to the Police and get a crime number and take things from there.

Lithuania is in the EU, so ther may be a way of putting his local cops onto him. Catch him and you stand a chance of being able to sue him.

How you'd do that I dont know.

Hi,

You may have a problem here as I don't think Lituania can have confirmed address'.

The important question is did you send trackable?

When paypal first contacted you they would have asked for this information and I am hoping you gave it and and still have it?

Idax

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

• 3 weeks later...
We have sent NCO a letter saying we will only deal with the individual who is "owed" the money, stating several consumer rights laws.

They are calling 4-6 times a day now.

Hi,

I was propably scamed by the same lithuanian guy... I have lost 1400 pounds... I sold him a camera. Same situation, but becouse PayPal limited access to my account I did not have chance to transfer money into my bank account. At the moment I am making a claim in small claims court. It was so difficult to get their company status and business address in UK. I have phoned them 8 (right...) times to get the address and they were lying to me so many times... I got the address by government company... PayPal sucks... Really...