• Tweets

• Yea but the annoying this is that they're not based in england so they won't even come. Just a 2mo delay for no apparent reason.
    • Hi dx, thanks. Yes actually, that is the case with this one! I've taken tomorrow off work, I need to review the whole binder for each of these and I'll refrain from further questions until I do just that. Just on hold for court ref Claim #2
    • 1. who knows... 2. not the whole A/C vanishes from your file on the DN's 6th b'day ...already carefully explain this. 3.yes 4.already carefully explain this.
    • if i remember rightly, long ago in one of the first drafts of the old proposed gov't overhauls, there was a listing of recommended 'charges' that inc wrong reg = £20. some PPC's implemented such changes in advance. then later as it looked increasing likely the new code was never going to be implemented after it's 1st review and another set of codes was to be debated they all quietly revert back .......... dx
    • Potentially it may not even get sold on? Just the default left for 6 years then gone? but if it is sold on ill get a letter from the DCA which is the notice of assignment? Sorry what is the different between a default notice and a default cal marker? yes, i may try and work arrangements out with the OCs after the breathing space but I'll see my circumstances then thank you again for all your help and patience, I really appreciate it and apologies If i am too fast or repeating myself.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Did anyone see BBC24 re bailiffs today?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5877 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Largely agree with the above ... the MAIN problem is that while ever bailiffs are paid on results, they have a financial incentive to break / bend the law. A successful result lines THEIR pockets (see post above re bailiff who arrived in a Lexus !)

Why do you think bailiffs get out of bed at 4am - so they can knock at your door at 6.00am? Because it pays them to !

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone,

Confession time, I am the fool in the BBC Clip and whilst I agree with a number of points made about changes in the law have reached one conclusion. I obeyed the law and foolishly and naively expected others to do the same, they wont, whatever the law it will be abused. The attack on me resulted in my being threatened with arrest ? The police even made me pay an extra £200 for a van in attendance that was not there, the only car was the bailiffs Lexus.

Kind regards

Simon Cousins

The police show an appalling lack of knowledge of the law - either that or they don't care - I mean who's going to listen to a 'feckless' debtor

I realize it's a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted but I think nothing is lost by complaining to the Chief Constable - after all it's all on telly - & it might cause them to think twice the next time.

I have suggested this before but I think, like we have court buddies, there is an argument for having bailiff buddies. - We could support & witness the behaviour of both the police & bailiffs - also knowing there is someone there from a consumer website could make them act lawfully

The police show an appalling lack of knowledge of the law - either that or they don't care - I mean who's going to listen to a 'feckless' debtor

Some have tried to make things clearer -

http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/v3/pdfstore/CJU_D222.pdf

We should ALL contact our local police and ask if they intend to educate their own officers by issuing similar advice?

That really is the key, if Chief Constables, who are no doubt very busy people, had to spend lots of time answering letters to concerned SUBJECTS, cos we are definitely not citizens no matter what Blair said, they might just give re-education a higher priority.

Perhaps a template letter which many of us could agree on and then use might be the way forward.

After all, lots of people may want to write, but be put off by the difficulty many face trying to put a letter together.

I've been a tax payer all my life and it irritates me no end that "career doleys" who choose state benefits as a life choice have their fines paid by me and eveyone else who pays tax. It annoys me even more that wealthy folk who clearly have the means to pay but choose not to because they think the law doesn't apply to them, constantly get away with it.

Wow! What about the vast majority of people who don't fall into those 2 narrow categories, and who DO try and co-operate with the bailiffs and yet are still victims of a corrupt system?

That really is the key, if Chief Constables, who are no doubt very busy people, had to spend lots of time answering letters

Especially if we can show that the actions of HIS officers are directly contradictory to the legal advice given by OTHER police forces ?

Wow! What about the vast majority of people who don't fall into those 2 narrow categories, and who DO try and co-operate with the bailiffs and yet are still victims of a corrupt system?

Vicky that's exactly the reason why they do become victims, because they co-operate.

My view point may be cynical, but I believe it suits the MP's and the Council leaders to have this system - if it didn't we wouldn't have it.

Many thousands of pounds are spent on feasibility studies done for the councils and the government - when you read them it becomes clear that the only thing that seems to matter to them is the end result, which is raising revenue.

"Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes..." Helvering v Gregory, (1934):

Now if you take THAT point of view you'll stop being a victim.

I do not expect the police to know every law, even solicitors don't know every law.

What I do expect though is when a bailiff act's illegally(ie, takes a car on finance) the police should act. I am fed up with the standard police reply of "it's a civil matter".

There are counless example's on this site where bailiff's have acted illegally and the police have done nothing.

I am currently is dispute with a council about an illegaly issued parking ticket, the tickets have already been proven to be illegal and yet they keep issueing them, if I was not aware of how to challange the ticket, the next step would be a bailiff calling at my door.

The whole system is a complete nightmare!.

All I ask is to be treated fairly and lawfully.

That's why I suggest contacting the Chief Constable, who either has legal knowledge of his own or fairly rapid access to someone who does.

It's all too easy to give in when a copper who doesn't want to do anything very convincingly says there is nothing to be done.

I do not expect the police to know every law, even solicitors don't know every law.

In which case they should NOT act at all - until they know what the law is !

Their contribution (as outlined by the Devon & Cornwall police) should be to merely prevent a Breach of the Peace UNTIL they know what the law is !!

I wonder how many PC's even know that Bailiffs need to be Certificated by Courts (and how to check such Certification)?

Hi Everyone,

Confession time, I am the fool in the BBC Clip and whilst I agree with a number of points made about changes in the law have reached one conclusion. I obeyed the law and foolishly and naively expected others to do the same, they wont, whatever the law it will be abused. The attack on me resulted in my being threatened with arrest ? The police even made me pay an extra £200 for a van in attendance that was not there, the only car was the bailiffs Lexus.

Kind regards

Simon Cousins

Sorry to interrupt the bun fight - but I thought you made your points very well - you were asking for regulation and that came accross.

Sorry if this info has been posted before - but might help someone

Will I get advance notice of a bailiff visit and fees?

From 1 April 1998, local authorities must send you a letter giving 14 days notice of a proposed bailiff visit to collect council tax. County court bailiffs must issue a warning notice allowing 7 days for you to pay.

Do I have to pay the bailiff's fees?

The fees that bailiffs can charge for recovering money vary. There are fixed fees for bailiffs collecting council tax; for example, from 1 April 1998 fees for the first visit by a bailiff are £20 and £15 for a second visit, where no levy or seizure is made.

All bailiff fees (with the exception of magistrates' court bailiffs) can be looked at by the county court to see if they are reasonable or excessive. This is known as 'detailed assessment'. If you think that the bailiff's fees are excessive you should get further advice about this.

What should I do if a bailiff is about to visit my home?

Remember you do not have to let a bailiff into your house or flat. If you make sure that all doors and windows are locked, the bailiff will not be able to gain access to your home. If they cannot get in, they cannot lawfully seize goods. A bailiff may call a number of times to try and gain entry. Eventually they will return the warrant to the court or local authority if they are unable to gain entry, or you do not have enough goods to pay off the debt and fees.

Secondly, get the matter out of the hands of the bailiff and back to the county court, local authority or creditor. The next paragraph tells you how to do this.

If the debt is an unpaid county court judgment you can apply to the court to stop (''suspend'') the warrant and vary the instalments you were ordered to pay by the court. You can apply to do this on form N245, available from the court. The form asks for details of your income and outgoings with a few personal details such as whether you work. You will have to pay a fee at the court (currently £30), unless you are getting income support, income-based jobseeker's allowance or tax credits*. You may have to show proof that you are receiving these benefits.

fom national insolvency website

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

The watcher, that's a good point.

I am a private hire driver, I was stopped by the police for not wearing my seatbelt, I told the police officer that I did not have to wear a seatbelt when I had a passenger on board, the policeman said "I will give you a ticket and you will have to write a letter to appeal", I told him I would not accept the ticket and made a right fuss, he got on his radio and then let me go with no ticket.

I think what we need to do is have the relevant legislation handy when dealing with bailiffs and then if the police get involved we can show the police the law, they then MUST act to help us.

All I ask is to be treated fairly and lawfully.

th_applause.gifth_applause.gifth_applause.gif

Well it helped me!!

th_applause.gifth_applause.gifth_applause.gif

Its helping me too NOW, but it cost me £2k in fees before i found out

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

As if anybody actually cares who you are, or what you think.

I know YOU care tony or you wouldn't have bothered replying in the first place. However, after reading your last post about it costing you nearly £2k in bailiff's fees, I now feel your pain.

Certificated Bailiff

I have not wanted to get into a bunfight on this subject but I feel that I should make some very important points about the bailiff industry, in particular to put the record straight on the notion that many people are refusing to pay, have 50"plasma televisions, gated high walled properties with flash cars in the drive. I can assure you that these people are in the MINORITY and is the mantra that is spoken by each and every bailiff that I talk with daily.

One little known fact is that 98.6% of the entire population actually pay their council tax....a most remarkable figure given the state of the economy.

Another little known fact is that 4 million Liability Orders were obtained last year for unpaid council tax of which approx: half remain WITH the local council , many pay in full, and the remainder are passed to bailiffs. The council however charge a summons cost AND Liability Order fee on top of each LO, and the typical charge is an ADDITIONAL amount of £95 for EACH Liability Order. By the way,each local authority are allowed to keep this fee.

Turning now to the statements that most bailiffs act within the law etc, etc.

As many of you on here will know, our company has a website to advise the public on all matters relating to bailiffs and we also deal with enquiries from the public, local authorities, advice agencies, police and also bailiffs. I am certainly NOT an expert, but I can say with all honesty that within the past month I have found that bailiffs and their companies have become far more ruthless and agressive, their fees are much increased and the level of complaints has risen dramatically.

I am also seeing more cases than ever of bailiffs clamping vehicles within just days of the warrant being issued and before a payment could have been made, charging a first and second visit fee AND levy fee BEFORE paying an initial visit for unpaid council tax....and even clamping a vehicle using a Warrant of Execution that had never been authorised by the Traffic Enforcement Centre !!!

And finally, just to confirm that the public are complaining you may wish to note that our web designers have provided me with the following statistics for our bailiff website. These show that since July the site has received the following:

Number of Hits: 997,000

Number of Unique Visitors: 37,636

Number of pages viewed: 132,816

and the most viewed pages were:

Bailiff Complaints

How to Complain

Bailiff Fees

CSA & Bailiffs

Vehicle Clamping.

I think the figures speak for themselves........

I now feel your pain.

Im sory, but i find this comment totally hyporcritical.

Anybody who actually feels pain, would simply not do this job in the first place.

Instead you add untold misery to what is already an often desperate situation.

I dont, and have never condoned debt avoidance.

In fact, i was hounded out of the DCA forum because of my comments and beliefs.

What i object to is a self appointed "Saint", who thinks that he/she has the right to act as executioner.

Regardless of todays rights and wrongs in society, anybody who consciously chooses to be a bailiff, are nothing more than parasites in my book.

You try telling peoples kids that they cant eat because the bailiff company has added £200 in charges to a £200 debt that was paid 24 hours late.

Bailiffs are ****, always have been, always will be.

NOTHING anybody ever tells me will change my mind.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Im sory, but i find this comment totally hyporcritical.

And that's precisely how I meant it tonycee. I come across people with your attitude every day. Your narrow minded perception that each debt settled with the bailiff results in bread and water for tea is as ridiculous as me suggesting all debtors are ****.

With that said, you're right, no one will ever change your mind so my last bun has been thrown. ;)

Certificated Bailiff

Your narrow minded perception that each debt settled with the bailiff results in bread and water for tea

Pray tell me, oh holy one, how do you conclude that perception of me.

With that said, you're right, no one will ever change your mind so my last bun has been thrown. ;)

Well, thats a relief.

No chance you want to tell me what gives YOU the right to do what you do?.

Who the hell do you think you are for goodness sake?.

Bailiffs are ****, always have been, always will be.

That's too much of a sweeping statement for me tony.

Yes I agree, some, possibly many of them are **** just as you say, but I don't believe it's fair to apply that label to every single one.

Yes I agree, some, possibly many of them are **** just as you say, but I don't believe it's fair to apply that label to every single one.

Then i apologies unreservedly.

I will NEVER get my head around ANY human being, actually choosing to do this for a living.

Never will emotions run higher than when children, and bailiffs are concerened.