Unpaid Overdraft in the UK for non UK resident

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5062 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I left the UK at the end of 2003 not having paid my overdraft. It was about 2500 (GBP) with Barclays Bank.

It's something that has bugged me for years and I am in a position to pay it off, which I would like to do.

I would like to know what banks normally do in cases like this, would they take a ccj against me or is there other ways where they might have taken me to court whereby I would have gotten a criminal record or something.

Would anybody be able to point me in the direction of a lawyer that would be able to help.

Thanx

If it was me I would send off for a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) (subject access request) OR possibly check your credit file - either way there is a chance that the debt will have probably grown due to excessive charges, which you may be able to claim back.

This is where you can find the SAR...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

There is no need for a lawyer, and a CCj is not a criminal offence.

Do as the previous poster says and send the bank a SAR to see how much is outstanding and how much ofthat is charges, then make the bank an offer of what you think is the true balance.

• Haha 1

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Thanx for the response guys.

Do you think that banks take other action against foreign nationals in cases like this? Or is it pretty standard for all cases?

I just want to find out if there is a possibility that I have been taken to court on a different level and that I have obtained a criminal record.

Being a debtor is not a criminal offence in the UK, and no crime has been commited.

There might be a CCJ outstanding, but - to be honest - I doubt it.

In addition to what gizmo said, I would write a letter to the bank, asking whether they are still the owner of the debt, and if not ask them who to contact.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys!

I am pretty much in the same position. Left the UK 3 years ago without paying back my overdraft. In a few months i might need to return to the UK for a period of time. Is there gonna be any kind of problem with my outstnding debt? Am i gonna be able to open a bank account? If I got it right they are not gonna arrest me in the airport, right?

Thanx!

If I got it right they are not gonna arrest me in the airport, right?
Certainly not, it is a civil matter not a criminal one.
Am i gonna be able to open a bank account?
You may as a bank will want to know where you have been living for the past 5 years. ;)