Council Tax/Water Rates - drainage issues

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5926 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Am I correct in thinking that part of the council tax and also water rates go towards waste water?

The reason why I ask is due to flooding, my road was flooded back in July (hours after it stopped raining when the sun was out), my neighbours are still experiencing problems with the drains blocking.

This week the letter below was sent to various members in our council asking about the situation with the drains as with the expected high rain fall people are worried that they will be flooded again.

I am concerned that the drains in xxx Road xxxxx are still blocked. These blockages had a major impact on the flooding in July.

Almost six months later they are still causing problems. The council and xxxxx Housing Association have been informed. With the risk of further flooding could you tell me the following:

1. When were the drains last cleared fully.

2. How often are you clearing the drains as scheduled maintenance.

3. As you now know xxxx Road is a flood risk area are you increasing the frequency of clearance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

This is the reply

Your enquiry about highway drainage was passed to me earlier this week and I was asked to give a brief response at next weeks xxx Area Forum. However as you have written to the Council again, I thought it would be helpful if I updated you now, rather than wait until next Tuesday.

The gullies in xxx Rd are connected to a system of soakaways rather than a more conventional pipe network type system. Unfortunately, given the current high water table, this means that the soakaways and therefore the gullies cannot drain away very efficiently. I am advised that the gullies are not blocked with silt or other debris, they are just slow draining because of the high water table. The gullies are cleansed every 2 years, the last time being on 4 May 2006, and so are therefore next due this May. However most of them were thoroughly cleaned after the flooding in July 2007. There are currently no plans to review the frequency of the gully emptying regime in that area, although I have asked for the soakaways to be examined to ensure that they are operating as effectively as they can, given the limitations I have already explained.

I'm sorry that I cannot be more helpful at the moment but if you need any further information please do let me know.

I have asked for the soakaways to be examined to ensure that they are operating as effectively as they can,

How can soakaway's be examined? I though soakways were burried underground?

Our local councilor telephoned a neighbour tonight and advised that the drains had been cleared today (funny that) :? (especially as another senior member in a email quoted about advised they were not due untill May to be cleared), and they had taken away loads of silt etc, so someone is not telling the truth, especially when questioned further did not know where all the gully's and soakaway's were located:o

So my question is if we have soak aways and gully's and not a conventional pipe network type system should we be paying the same as everyone else, and what are we paying for? we thought we had normal drainage?

Thread moved to Utilities Forum where you should receive relevant advice :)

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I fully sympathise with you as I'm not back in my house yet after being flooded in June. We are discovering that the issue of drainage is very complex, not helped by the fact that so many agencies are involved.

You mention a flood forum, and we have one too, with representatives of the water company, the Environment Agency, District Council, County Council, engineers, etc, as well as 2 representatives from our village, who report back to residents at local meetings, as well as passing on our concerns. As well as this our local MP is keeping an eye on proceedings to ensure that matters don't slide.

As well as pipes, we have culverts, ditches and all sorts of things, and the water board are currently doing a lot of CCTV surveys to check the condition of drains etc, to find out why it was so bad. We'd never been flooded before, and weren't on 20th July when Tewkesbury etc were. I think you might be surprised just how much is involved in drainage. Water rose nearly to the air bricks again this week, but so far all is well. Oddly, Severn Trent are very noticeable by their presence at the moment. As you say, I wonder why.

I would suggest that you find out from the person who responded more details about your forum, and if you can get any feedback or input into the problems. Everytime we speak to someone from some different agency we find that there are things that local residents are aware of, and have been for years, yet they say they didn't know. Ask if you have a local representative that you can contact to find out the situation where you are and see what you can find out.

The forum is definitely the place for answers in our experience.

You may be interested in the link below too, although if you're in a HA property you may not be affected financially. If you have neighbours in private property round about who don't adequately care for their drains, you will still be affected it they're blocked. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/campaign/126684-responsibility-private-drains.html#post1325819

• Haha 1
The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

So my question is if we have soak aways and gully's and not a conventional pipe network type system should we be paying the same as everyone else, and what are we paying for? we thought we had normal drainage?

Caro thank you for the links and information, I will look into those later on, do you have a answer to my original question?

You may be interested in the link below too, although if you're in a HA property you may not be affected financially. If you have neighbours in private property round about who don't adequately care for their drains, you will still be affected it they're blocked

We are not HA although the houses at the bottom of the road are and I guess some house would share the same drainage system, does this make a difference?

I don't know anything about soakaways, but I've done a quick google found this.

North Lincolnshire Council - Soakaways

Although your drainage may not be conventional it would appear that there is still maintenance involved. The difference between private and HA property is that should any work be required on the drains which fall within your boundary, you are responsible for their maintenance and have to pay for any repairs etc. The HA would be responsible for drains in their properties.

When you start to look at the issue of drains in detail, it is a remarkably complex issue, and much more work goes into them than you may realise. It would seem that soakaways are more environmentally friendly as the water doesn't run into the over burdened river system. If it works, then your bill seems fair, and if it doesn't, then you would seem to be within your rights to complain to the relevant authority for repairs of the public system.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

I had forgotten that water authorities sometimes use soakaways and with these as it is the water authoriy that is coping with the the disposal of the water then your rates will remain the same.

Where it is different is if the soakaway is your own on your property and just for your property.

However, the level of the water table is important as if the water table is high then there could be problems, but of course this means that you are on a flood plain,or what is very nearly a flood plain.

• Haha 1