Fair charges - opinions requested

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I've just joined the forums here, as I have a specific situation that I'd like to gather opinions on.

I own a small business in a village in rural Yorkshire. The village has grown recently, leaving residents with a bit of a car parking problem. I have just taken over the old Methodist Church to use for my new business premises, and it has a small car parking area next to it where my staff park during working hours. Part of the car park and access road I lease from the local authority.

I have been approached by a couple of residents, asking if I might consider renting car parking spaces out of hours and at weekends when the spaces are normally empty anyway, and what the charge might be. The idea hadn't occurred to me, but having thought about it the income would be useful to help pay the lease of £470 a year.

There will be about 6 spaces available, but the problem is I don't know how much would be a fair price to ask. Obviously I'd rather have some income than none at all, and I want the charge to be, well cheap I suppose, but not unreasonably so in either direction.

Also, are there any hidded snags that I might be unwittingly letting myself in for?

Thanks for your time - I look forward to hearing from you, and if I get some ideas I'll post your averages!

Best regards

Albion.

Guest louis wu

I have no idea as to any legal snags you my come accross, but I am sure there will be some.

As for a possible charge, well that's dependant on what you want to achieve.

All 6 spaces, let at £5.00 per week is £1560 per year

All 6 spaces, let at £2.00 per week is £624 per year.

Neither sum is too excessive, although as a motorist, with the increase in fuel etc, I think the gesture of free parking on your land would be very welcome.

louis

It's not directly the same but I live in a London borough and in our area we still have free on street parking. But I have a garage and keep my motorbikes in it. I also allow a neighbour to keep his in it. We both came to the same rate - £250 per year.

I also rent another lock up locally - £10.81 per week.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Also, are there any hidded snags that I might be unwittingly letting myself in for?

1. Other people who have not paid will park annoying those that have.

2. Any attempt you make to fine/clamp/invoice above mentioned non paying people will turn you into the anti-christ according to most posters on this forum!

:D

2. Any attempt you make to fine/clamp/invoice above mentioned non paying people will turn you into the anti-christ according to most posters on this forum!

:D

Methodist Church - booze got there first! ;)

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Wow! I didn't expect such fast or such helpful replies - thanks everyone!

Louis Wu - that's exactly the range of prices we'd come up with! About £3.50 maybe...

Bernie_the_Bolt - If those are London prices then we ought to be a bit cheaper I guess...LOL! Know what you mean about the booze...haha!

Green_and_mean...hmmm, I think anti-christ is not what I need right now! I would have no intention of clamping anyone, and fortunately I can gate the park quite easily, and give keys to paying parkers and windscreen stickers too.

Patdavies - very good point. I have checked my documents and - as I lease the land and not rent it - then I can sub-let, no problem. I can' put my rubbish bins on it, or park a caravan or motor-caravan, or allow rubbish to accumulate or repair a car on it, but sub-letting is fine. Sigh.

Thanks to you all - semms like we are all thinking along the same lines. Like I said, I want it to be cheap, and the income will certainly help towards the annual lease fees.

Oh, I can put advertising signs on it either...

I would have no intention of clamping anyone, and fortunately I can gate the park quite easily, and give keys to paying parkers and windscreen stickers too.

An approach to be applauded. Far better that than to hand over enforcement to a company who might take every opportunity to extract money from people, and refreshing to see the approach of 'fair use for a reasonable charge'.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Green_and_mean...hmmm, I think anti-christ is not what I need right now! I would have no intention of clamping anyone, and fortunately I can gate the park quite easily, and give keys to paying parkers and windscreen stickers too.

Will you fine those that dont bother to lock the gate or don't have a sticker? I know you have the best intentions but you only have to read the posts on here to see what a nightmare private parking is to enforce.

Will you fine those that dont bother to lock the gate or don't have a sticker? I know you have the best intentions but you only have to read the posts on here to see what a nightmare private parking is to enforce.

Aha! yes, you are right - there is always a few that will spoil it for the many - a good point and one to consider. I'm not really looking to profit from the car park, just let it help towards some of our increased overheads. We don't have a lot of money, and part of the planning permission enforces on my provision of a surfaced car park. So as well as the annual lease fees and £1200 I had to pay up front I will ahve to find more cash to surface the plot before I am allowed to use the building for my business...

...and I can see where you are coming from; the problems associated with my ideal scheme might outweigh the benefits. And all we want is a simple life!

All this input is really useful - thanks! Albion.

If you have to provide a surfaced area anyway, why not include a lockable fold-down parking post for each spot. (Just google parking post and you'll see what I mean).

Each user is allocated an individual spot and given a key which only fits the padlock to allow access to their parking spot. If they choose not to secure their parking spot when they leave the car park and somebody else parks there, they are the only ones inconvenienced and have only themselves to blame for their own negligence or laziness. It requires no enforcement on your part whatsoever.

MBNA - Agreed to refund £970 in full without conditions. Cheque received Sat 5th Aug.:D

Lloyds - Settled for an undisclosed sum.:D