• Tweets

• I agree with my site team colleague above. We need to know all the facts including which company you are dealing with and an explanation of the problem. It really is too difficult to start giving speculative advice on some speculative problem that you have laid out as a generalised scenario
    • Moorcroft are sending a rep round to my house this week. What is the best way to handle this? Ignore and not answer the door or engage with them? I haven't acknowledged anything since I started on this journey and defaulted on my cards in December 2022
    • Very sorry but with the best will in the world, I don't think we can at all understand what the situation is here. Please can you try rewriting this on a word processor and maybe send a copy of what you have written to a friend and working out together so that the story is complete but as brief as possible. Maybe a list of dates as well. If you can do that and then repost your story we can have a look
    • Hi, I am a local authority tenant and was in a 3 bed house. At the end of last year, my last child moved out and so did my spouse as we are now going through a divorce which meant that I was in the house alone and decided that I needed to downsize not only for myself but to offer the property to a family that needed it. I registered on the local authority housing bidding site as i was asked to do and I was accepted and given a priority banding as I was downsizing and they were desperate for my house. I have been extremely lucky and after about 6 weeks was accepted for a new build from a housing association via the housing gateway. I viewed the property 2 weeks ago and had to sign the tenancy last week when they were doing bulk signups for the houses and that is the day I moved. In between viewing and sign up, I contacted my current local authority landlord and asked how I give notice as I had been accepted for a property I had bid on and was moving.  The lady told me how to do it online and then said that I needed to give a full weeks notice which wasnt a problem as I had enough time.  (I was also told a weeks notice was what i would need to give by another staff member about a month ago when I phoned up for another housing related question.  I dont have any of this in writing.) I have now moved, handed back the keys and I am now being told that I need to give 4 weeks notice which I cannot afford. I hav e spoken to the council again explaining that I was told a week and that to be honest, if I knew they were going to charge me 4 weeks I would not have been able to move and would have stayed in the other house.  I thought I was doing the right thing. They said that calls are recorded and they asked me when I called in and was told a week and they would listen to the telephone conversation and if it was correct what I was told, they would see what they could do to reduce the notice period. They have now emailed me back and said that they have listened to the conversation and the lady said 4 weeks notice and I am liable for 4 weeks rent.  Now I may well of misheard her when I thought she said a full weeks notice she may have said 4 weeks notice but I am sure she said a full weeks notice and i was told a week by another member of staff a few weeks ago. I have emailed her back and said that I may of misheard but I would like to listen to the phone recording myself.  As yet they havent responded. I think its unreasonable for them to make me give 4 weeks when I had to sign the new tenancy with little notice or loose the property.  And it was all done through their gateway, and they will have a tenant in there pretty much straight away getting rent from them. I am on a very low income, I am on my own, I have serious medical issues and I am really getting myself stressed out over this. Any advice would be so appreciated.  Can I insist they let me listed to the recording? RH  
    • Susan Crichton is at the Inquiry today. She seems to have trouble remembering a lot of things but seems to find it easier if it's something that shows her in a good light.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HFC fined for PPI misselling - game over for them!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3932 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I had a few finance agreements with them and then a loan or two to include all the seperate agreements into one. I am not sure IF i was missold my PPI would anyone like to help me work out if they have? if I had PPI on a agreement already, then when i took out a loan to pay off all them and pay one lot of intrest (they agreed this would be the case) did I need to take out PPI on the new loan? Really confused and this is not my strong point. also am now on an IVA due to the High intrest on a loan from them.

Any help would be great.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news.:D

Looks like I've got HFC on the run. They have admitted liability and I'm getting the remaining outstanding balance written off in the next 4 weeks , or so.

Barclaycard are next. I've written two letters to them, and they havent even replyed. So I got my statements out and they are next.

They won't like it when I hit them with a charges claim, as well as miselling PPI.

MTL.

Get sound legal advice,as you are in an IVA. I kept on bombarding my creditors with letters, usind National Debtine Guide lines and also obtained a copy of the Financial Ombudsman Guide book to banking code of practice. I did consider an IVA, but you can beat them.

My own thoughts on your circumsatnces is that you may have entered into this IVA when you didn't really need to . You could have negotiated with HFC as I did. Yes they were complete idiots at first but it has now swung in my favour. NEVER GIVE UP and look at the outcome I now have( ok its taken nearly a year).

An IVA locks you in for five years. There is help to be had out there, Remember , you are NOT alone in your fight. Let us know how you get on.

Will keep you posted on developments.

Connie:D

Good news.:D

Looks like I've got HFC on the run. They have admitted liability and I'm getting the remaining outstanding balance written off in the next 4 weeks , or so.

Barclaycard are next. I've written two letters to them, and they havent even replyed. So I got my statements out and they are next.

They won't like it when I hit them with a charges claim, as well as miselling PPI.

MTL.

Get sound legal advice,as you are in an IVA. I kept on bombarding my creditors with letters, usind National Debtine Guide lines and also obtained a copy of the Financial Ombudsman Guide book to banking code of practice. I did consider an IVA, but you can beat them.

My own thoughts on your circumsatnces is that you may have entered into this IVA when you didn't really need to . You could have negotiated with HFC as I did. Yes they were complete idiots at first but it has now swung in my favour. NEVER GIVE UP and look at the outcome I now have( ok its taken nearly a year).

An IVA locks you in for five years. There is help to be had out there, Remember , you are NOT alone in your fight. Let us know how you get on.

Will keep you posted on developments.

Connie:D

Thanks for that, but am trying to find out what is defined as being miss sold? I'm unfortunaly not in the know on this so hoping someone can tell me :)

Hi mtl- missold- If they said it is compulsary to get the loan, if you are self employed, if you have a pre-existing medical complaint, if they applied it without you knowing:) If any of these apply you could start a thread and get lots of help in the PPI forum:)

<<<If I have helped please tickle the scales;-)<<<

Hi I need a little advise.

I sent HFC first letter about being mis-sold PPI before christmas. They needed to reply by 30th December, which they did with a letter stating they "have been unable to resolve your complaint, as this investigation is yet to be concluded...once investigation has been complete, a full response will be issued in writing." They go on to apologise for the delay in responding and advise me of my right to complain to FSO. I have now, 26th Jan, received the same letter again.

What I'd like to know is should I wait for them or should I do something further?

Please help.

Hi I need a little advise.

I sent HFC first letter about being mis-sold PPI before christmas. They needed to reply by 30th December, which they did with a letter stating they "have been unable to resolve your complaint, as this investigation is yet to be concluded...once investigation has been complete, a full response will be issued in writing." They go on to apologise for the delay in responding and advise me of my right to complain to FSO. I have now, 26th Jan, received the same letter again.

What I'd like to know is should I wait for them or should I do something further?

Please help.

Don't wait any longer, get help:mad:They will keep you dangling on a thread. They want you to give up .

I can tell you HFC are so incompetent. Im in the process of getting my debt written off with professonal help and these idiots at HFC are demanding £112,00 pcm expecting me to pay up and want nearly £1000,00 in arrears then another letter admitting they have wrongfully charged me over a cancelled PPI policy. I.ve got several departments writting to me all at the same time. They know my circumstances yet they continue to send out letters asking for payments when they know what the score is. Just goes to show you how they fail to communicate among themselves. Talk about confusing!:?. A five year old could run that bank better than they can :lol:

And I,ve calculated that Barclaycard owe me nearly £800,00. Sent it off so just waiting to see what happens there.

Connie

Also when sending any further letters include a copy of this

FT.com / Personal Finance - Curbs placed on UK payment insurance sales

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

• 2 weeks later...

icon1.gif Re: PPI - They have defended it saying no what can i do

Hi everyone i decided on the advice of this website to take my claim to the court so i did the particulars as the template had and now they have come back to me with this evil defence basically saying get stuffed , what do i do now? do i do further particulars and list all the points they have raised , they keep talking about strict proof? ahh

some help please people thanks

I too my have been mis sold ppi from hfc or some other name they use to disguise ppi taken loan out late 1990s for 3000.50 at the time i was working but had to give up work as a medical condition stopped me from working and I couldnt afford to pay hfc after I finished work I had to resort to family to help me out I was paying monthly installments of 30 pounds from a paying in book they kindly gave me lol.

After yrs of struggler I gave up all the letters of threats from diff dcs went in bin, then suddenly they must of sold my debt to another dc and then to robbers way.

Been paying robber monthly payment and all interests from other dcs and robbers I must of paid 3000.50 5 times over with all this interest they had.

Just before xmas 2008 I stopped paying them because they was ringing me up 4x aday and constantley sending letters sometime I would get 2 letts from robbers and both the letts were duplicate saying your account is under reveiw client as asked for a increase in payment sent 2 letters to say why the increase on dec 9th 2008 no response their response was feburary 2nd 2009.

Asked rude lass to send me all documents stateing that my debt with robbers is genuine and all proof that am I lible to pay also the stature bar things she says no because i acknowledged the letts and phone calls also I have been paying them up until before xmas 2008 is there a time limit how far you can reclaim.

Nothing back yet advise needed to next step forward where can i get templates for cca and sars and any other docs I need.

Lawt32.

There are template letters you can download from sites such as Moneysaving expert.co.uk or this is money.co.uk.

They are just trying to harass you the same as I have been getting harrassed.It just goes to show how desperate banks are getting in their tactics and whoever they sell the debts on to. Don't give up fighting them and get your number changed. They are actually committing a criminal act by harassing you and I would consult legal advice on that matter and have you took your case to the FOS? Any bank or company are bound over to help address your financial difficulties and companies have to be regulated and have you got the latest copy of National Debtline's guide to dealIng with debt? Never throw away any of your letters as it is evidence you can use against debt recovery agencies and banks who threaten you.They have no more powers than the original creditors. It sounds as though you have been given bad advice. Talk to someone at National debtline or CAB .

On another note, I recieved a reply from Barclaycard who say they dont agree with my claim that the charges I want back are unfair. All they have offered is a paltry £144.00 plus 8% interest on top so they won't like the reply they are getting from me as well as a recovery firm I am sending in to get the money they owe me. They do owe me, now over £800.00 and the charges they have wacked me for ARE UNFAIR . I aint givng up.

Connie:)

Good News, Good News!.

Ive had an offer of nearly £1000,00 from HFC and Barclaycard have just upped their offer as I wrote and sent a second, very tactful letter advising them that I was exrememly concerned over late Payment charges and just stopped short of accusing them ( without prejudice of course ;) )of deliberately "holding on " to payments which I paid into my account in plenty of time and yet they claimed were late which was very questionable. I did state I would send in a recovery firm to recoup these unfair charges if they did not improve the offer from a measley £144.00+8%, which is what they first offered. Now its £600.00+8%, so its almost all the charges back. I'm well satisfied.:D

Kind Regards

Connie

Just picture this in your mind! A heron has a frog half swallowed but the frog fights back and has his fingers around the Herons throat. The moral of this thought? NEVER EVER GIVE UP! if you have a good case tofight with :)

Edited by Connie1963
forgot to sign my user name

high everyone.

Thats great news connie.

Could you please tell me how far hfc go back to reclaim ppi and other insurance mine was way back 11 years to be precise but they didn't chase me for money.

Until hfc sold my debt to robbers way I was paying right up till xmas 08 and stopped payments due to the fact 6 yrs had gone way by I had a phone call of rude women from robbers way eplained to her about 6yrs stat bar she said it dosn't apply to me because I was paying payments and acknowledged their letters.

They are still harassing me with phone calls 1,2,3,4,5, day they wont speak to me until I get through the secrurity questions it don't get that far I hang up.

I get the same harrasment of debitas who I believe work with robbers way They are **** bags.

Wish to screw these kind of people give em some of their own medicine they are not worthy of their status ripping honest abidding citizens off like that time to say enough is enough all stand together and fight these leeches.

What letters do I have to send hfc and barclays how would I word them by the way I havn't cancelled ppi do I cancel through bank or head office at belfast.

Hi lawt32

I just found this interesting website with some forums. Read he following quote :know from experience:

If you admit to the debt as ever being your in the past you are suckered and will have to pay.

If you just ignore it - you will get about ten letters but then it will go away - you are not liable for a penny because of the age of the debt. Do not admit to it and plead ignorance. Even though they know its you they have to hear it from your mouth for it to become reinstated and payable.

It is as simple as that. As the debt was sold on to them it is now a 'new debt' but ONLY if you acknowledge it.

If you have acknowledged it just verbally just hope they didn't record you. If you acknowledged it in writing / to more than one person you are screwed."

When your debt was sold on, THAT was the time to play "dumb". Read this quote

It is not legally enforceable as long as you do not acknowledge the debt. After 6 years of no contact with the creditor and if the creditor has not been paid any money then the debt becomes 'statute barred' meaning that the debt cannot be collected.

There is no such thing as debts being wiped away after 6 years, it still exists and if you make contact with the creditor by admitting you owe the money then the 6 year period will start from scratch again and they will legally be able to enforce the debt, but then only if they can prove the debt is yours.

No bank can enforce PPI payments as it is optional and you can cancel at any time without being penalised. It is something you chose to have to protect your payments should you become ill but there has been , as you are aware overwhelming claims, for missold PPI policies . If these policies are still active and if you have been continued to be charged when the debts have been sold on then you can claim it back as wrongful charges!

There is a time period of when you can claim back to, but some people are getting cases reveiwed back over 10 years ago.

Go onto websites like moneysavingexpert.com or thisismoney.co.uk to download template letters to launch against banks. If you want statments they will only go back 6 years and it costs a tenner. Then you can hit these bozo's where hurts- in the pocket!

As for the harrassment from those Debt recovery people, they have no more powers than your original creditors, so dont be afraid of them and tell them that. Also please , please get advice from National Debtline, you really need help. A lso read this as because you are being harrassed daily (and yes they ARE commiting an offence under the Data Protection Act)

“Dear Sirs

I am repeatedly having to say the same things to your representatives who call my telephone number continually. (you can add information if relevant about other members of the household etc or if they are phoning you at work)

Please note that under the Data Protection Act I am formally demanding that you remove my telephone number from your records. If you fail to do so I shall take this matter to the relevant authorities for their investigation. Due to the seriousness of this matter and any legal action which may arise, I will only correspond in writing and will not accept phone calls or personal visits. Should you either visit or phone I shall consider this as harassment and either take legal action and/or make complaints to the Office of Fair Trading under section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970.

Section 40 of the Act provides that a person commits an offence if, with the object of coercing another person to pay money from the other as a debt due under contract, he or she:

(a) harasses the other with demands for payment which by their frequency, or the manner or the occasion of their making, or any accompanying threat or publicity are calculated to subject him or his family or household to alarm, distress or humiliation.

Yours faithfully

[Your Name]

Make the brave move and stand up to them . Get good advice from ND and you will learn how to deal with those idiots. If you can get some legal advice and take those creditors to court.

Let me know how you get on. Don't forget to download any templates from National Debtline and the two websites mentioned. There are also templates you can use off CAG. Go to the forums and look at this :-

Creditors and DCAs Letters and Templates. You will find it under the forum of General Debt issues.

First move , get those debtors off you back . National debtline should be able to help you sort something out, or give you good sound advice.

I'll be looking for replies mate

Hi. lawt32 ( again):p

Forgot to add that when you cancel PPI, just draft up a letter to the bank concerned telling them you didn't want the PPI and then download a template letter, and start your bid to recover the wronfully charged PPi amounts. If your debt was sold on as you say HFC did, they should NOT have continued to charge and keep adding it to your debt. You need to check past statements and tot up just how much they owe you. But remember the six year deadline for making claims, ie: from Feb 09, you can only go back as far as Feb 03, but in some cases you can challenge further back. I would seriously consider getting the Office of Fair Trading involved regarding that firm who are harrassing you. They are not acting in accordance with the rules and seek legal advice as well. Don't forget National Debtline and the Citizens Advice Bureau. If you have a fast speed Internet connection, you can download the "Dealing with your Debts" guide. In fact their website has alot of information where you can download factsheets. Have a good look at it all. Your priority Debts must always be paid first, such as mortgage or rent, secured loans, council tax, gas, electric, water rates,food,TV licence and allowances for clothes, and medication if you have to have regular prescriptions,also you ARE allowed to have a small amount to put aside for a rainy day, like unexpected repair bills and if you have a car that you need for work you can include fuel , car tax and insurance. Any credit cards, store cards, catalogue purchases, unsecured loans are NOT priority debts and they go to the bottom of the list. When dealing with non-priority debts you must ask them to stop Interest Charges and other penalty charges. You can claim them back !.

If you are really fed up, invite your creditors to take you to court. Don;t be afraid to challenge them to this or if you can afford to do it, think about a debt management plan. There HAS been alot of changes recently regarding debt problems. Also remember those two other websites I previously mentioned. www.moneysavingexpert.com and www.Thisismoney.co.uk to download the template letters to start you challenge to get back unfair bank charges. If you think its a bit complicated for you, think about using a recovery firm yourself, but becareful who you chose as some take as much as 40% in costs of what is recovered by them for you.

I have used Brunel franklin ( Conkers) and they have been very good for me though some havent had them work well for them but they are trying to get one of my debts of nearly £4000.00 written off.

Keep fighting

Connie:D:D

To all those who are looking for advice.

There are forums on CAG that can help. We all seem to have one major greivance against HFC. Don't be afraid to ask for help from the OFT and the FOS by asking them to look into your cases.Also, many banks send back standard letters which are worded in such a way to discourage you from court action. This is a standard, callous tactic they resort to as they assume that the victim has little or no understanding of how to legally challenge them in a court of law. All of you who have had your health damaged by these idiots should really consult a solicitor with a view to claiming compensation.

I really hope that all of you are successful in your fights.

Kind regards

Connie:-)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

HFC have been mis selling PPI`s for donkeys years! I worked for them in 1993 and stayed with them for less than a year as I so strongly disagreed with the way PPIs were sold to customers who had clearly come to HFC because they couldn`t get a loan from one of the `Big 4` as they were then- we were told to tell customers that it was highly unlikely their application would go through without buying the PPI too and of course nearly everyone then bought it! HFC ran what is called the 4 - 1 - 750 club which basically meant each employee had to sell 4 personal loans a week, 1 secured loan and £750 worth of premiums for PPI! I felt it was immoral and disgusting and so left the job as the bank would have people coming in who were desperate and they preying on them! I`m so pleased they now have to pay people back!