• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Campaign? Teach Personal Finances in SCHOOL!!!!

illonavamp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5827 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Let's face it, times do change.

Please don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Isn't this a community where everybody looks after each other?

The answer, my friend is blowing, in the wwwinnd

Struggling_Simon vs Cabot - WON

Struggling_Simon vs Abbey - WON

Struggling_Simon vs HBOS - Pending

--------------------------------------------

IF I HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Vigilantibus non dormientibus æquitas subvenit

Somper in excretia,som solem profundus variat.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest louis wu
Let's face it, times do change.

Please don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Isn't this a community where everybody looks after each other?

The answer, my friend is blowing, in the wwwinnd

Sorry Simon, I have no idea what point you are trying to make:confused:

All well and good saying parents should do it, but plenty of parents don't have a clue themselves.

E-ngage Live

The resources are out there, and I am sure most schools do bring it in as part of the Citizenship curriculum in one way or another. Talkingshop works well, unfortunately it's sometimes difficult to get schools on board because the teachers are under a lot of pressure and have all sorts thrown at them to wade through.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

I was thinking just this the last few weeks. I was woefully equipped to turn up at University with my lack of financial expertise. Some kids have good folks to help them, some don't. I'm not judging any parents here! Schools should definitely play a role. I don't think I got a jot of advice about my finances in school. They should also extend lessons to promoting good citizenship, which i've been saying for years and years, and I think there was supposed to be some movement on that front. Finally, and I don't mean to be morbid, I didn't really hear much about my mortality in secondary school. Why is death such a taboo subject? You can't change it. It should be hammered home in schools that you only get one shot at life. Don't stagnate or wither away, live with death in mind, but live with great spirit. If you think in that sort of context you would make better decisions in life. That's my opinion anyway.

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

Do you not feel that this is one of those things that parents should have the responsibility of teaching their kids about?

Hello Louis.

What can kids learn from parents that can't keep their own finances in order?

I learnt some of it in the ( Utlity ) Modern Secondary that I went to in the war.

I think it would be a good idea to have a GCSE in Personal Finance. What do others think?

Hello Louis.

I learnt some of it in the ( Utlity ) Modern Secondary that I went to in the war.

I think it would be a good idea to have a GCSE in Personal Finance. What do others think?

At least something approaching that or as a core module in another subject for sure.

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

Guest louis wu
Hello Louis.

I suppose if the parents are that inept, they could learn how NOT to do it from them.

Personal finance is on the taught at school, years 3 and 4 I believe. As to a GCSE, I wouldn't know, I supose you would have to lose something else and I wouldn't know what.

Parent, though, unless they have no interest in participating in their childrens upbringing, must be able to pass on personal experiences, and with the internet, can look anything up. There will always be those that don't, but the majority , IMO, do.

louis

• 1 month later...

Maybe we should start to teach students how to operate a barter system.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

I am at teacher in Scotland and the RBS has been coming into schools for years to talk about finance. However very biased. I know some schools have trialed finance in PSE and it is definatley something that should be taught. BUt will it make much difference when these companies are irresponsible! I agree with previous comment about educating companies.

as an ex-teacher I agree it should be taught and has been through PSE, but I dont think that teenagers have any idea of what and does happen, they live in a consumer run society where they have to have the latest gadgets by yesterday, the amount of kids now in school who do not own the latest mobile phone, mp3, laptop, internet, you could probably count on one hand,if they havent got it, they soon become targets of the ones who have, everything is geared to get it today, worry about paying for it tommorrow

This is where the parents blame the kids.

How can a 9 year old afford a mobile phone?

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

a 9 year old cant its the parents who supply them with these things, how the hell did they manage b4 the mobile revolution? now its 'my child has to have a phone in school in case of an emergency' Ive had kids phoning during lesson time its gone beyond a bloody joke now

So why are we giving the kids a lesson?

I really could have used some lessons like this at school. I did well in general at the usual academic stuff but to this day I am utterly useless at managing money (not that the banks etc have helped!). Thoroughly support this idea even if it is 16 years too late for me.

Loz

I hate Alliance + Leicester

BT: No longer a customer :)

HSBC: £1222 refunded 28/5/06; Second claim of £737-24 refunded 9/11/06; PPI + interest on personal loan refunded 27/7/08

MBNA: £100 refunded on first claim of £112; £208 refunded on second claim for £108 24/9/07; PPI £256-28 refunded 8/4/08

NatWest: £1581-71 refunded 16/12/06; personal loan CCA agreement not provided

It's the parents buying these things.

i'm not

Guest louis wu
Maybe we should start to teach students how to operate a barter system.

This is where the parents blame the kids.

How can a 9 year old afford a mobile phone?

So why are we giving the kids a lesson?

It's the parents buying these things.

As usual Josh, you appear to be having a conversation with yourself which has no bearing with this thread, and frankly doesn't make any sense at all.

The point is, do children need personal finance lessons, not who buys the mobile phones. Perhaps rather than posting (multiple as per usual) irrelevant posts, you actually contribute to the discussion in hand.

Guest louis wu
the amount of kids now in school who do not own the latest mobile phone, mp3, laptop, internet, you could probably count on one hand,if they havent got it, they soon become targets of the ones who have, everything is geared to get it today, worry about paying for it tommorrow

yep u is dead rite it certainly is but how we gonna stop em they say their little darlings must have the latest gadget otherwise their life will be incomplete

Perhaps finance lessons need to be backed up with a strict 'technology' policy in schools. If children (especially primary school age) are carrying and using mobile equipment inapropriately, then it should be confiscated and returned after school hours.

I take it loius you havent worked in the state schools in the 21st century you aint allowed to remove anything from them, for fear of litigation, anyway this is now definitely straying off the original point which was should kids be taught about managing money

Yes schools should teach personal finance, I see the practical problem being will young people listen? Specifially will the people who will lose out the most due to lack of knowledge pay attention?

I don't think there are any easy answers but anything that makes things harder for the sort of con tricks we see so many companies pulling is a welcome development.

Is that on topic enough? :p

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

I absolutely agree, what a fantastic idea! I'm 23 and I didnt learn anything I needed at school, I still dont know all that much about money and entitlements. It definately pays to have kids educated about these things, so at least they have a chance to not be walked over by money grabbing companies, and a chance at life in the black! I think we should petition governmen!