• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Barclays Business - is this a new tactic?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5802 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I have just put in my claim for unfair charges on my business account, this is the second claim I have put in, within 2 years as they have taken over £1,200 off me in last few months. They refunded the full amount last time btw - £870.

Anyway they sent a reply letter, which had a leaflet on waivers on itand in their letter it said -

Please refer to the enclosed leaflet, which provides you with a more detailed explanation on how we will deal with this matter.

That sounds like a fob to me, so I have replied with this letter today:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your recent reply.

However, the leaflet referred to – within your letter has absolutely no bearing on my account, as it is a business account and the case referred to is primarily based on the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

Within the UTCCR 1999 it clearly states the following:

"consumer" means any natural person who, in contracts covered by these Regulations, is

acting for purposes which are outside his trade, business or profession;

Also:

Terms to which these Regulations apply

4. - (1) These Regulations apply in relation to unfair terms in contracts concluded between a

seller or a supplier and a consumer.

The FSA has also expressly stated that the waiver does not include business accounts, within their 2 month Review in November 2007. A copy of the document can be found here: http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/other/two_month_review.pdf

The relevant section is as follows:

17. The waiver does not include small business current accounts, because its scope is

aligned with that of the OFT’s wider investigation which relates to personal current

accounts. Firms have agreed to put arrangements in place to ensure that small

business customers, including those who thought they were covered by the waiver,4

are not disadvantaged.

I will still be staying to the timescale that I put forth.

I don't know if my letter above will help anyone if you receive a similir response from barclays business, but I thought I would post it up.

Dani

Hi Danny,

Whether Barclays agrees with you or not, the problem you'll next have is the Court Staying your case automatically.

We've a few on the go at the moment here where the Barclays claimants are trying to get the Court to unStay their cases.

Definately stick to your timescale.

Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick,

Thanks for the advice, I intend to make the court fully aware of the details I put down in the letter I sent, if it comes to that. Last time barclays caved before court.

I am currently taking on 3 others at the same time for charges:

Aqua - £116.00

Vanquis - £124.00

Barclaycard (2nd time around too) - £468.00

Dani

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, heres my letter to the branch manager and copied to head office:

04/02/2008

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to you directly, to put my complaints officially in writing as recommended by the FOS and the FSA.

A copy of this complaint and attached documents is also being forwarded to Barclays Head Office and the Financial Services Authority at this time.

I am referring it for your attention, as it partly involves your Branch Business Manager XXXXXX XXX XXXX.

As there are so many issues involved regarding this complaint, I will outline each briefly first:

• Return of bank charges (I am dealing with this separately, however it has a bearing).
  • Missold Business Loan.
  • Termination of account whilst in dispute.
  • Amalgamation of business accounts into a personal account to bypass FSA guidelines.
  • Perceived retaliation by Barclays, to the reclamation of charges, this refers to both 3 & 4.

In September 2007, I entered into a dialogue with my business manager XXX XXXXXXX, regarding the large amount of bank charges I had received during 2007.

I was advised that she would ‘start the ball rolling’ to reclaim those charges and she guaranteed I would get those charges back. She then went on to advise me to take out a restructuring loan to cover the already accrued charges and the charges due. She even stated ‘As soon as the charges were returned, she would personally make sure the loan was repaid in full’. I am saying this verbatim as exactly what she said at the time.

I only discovered recently, when talking to staff at your complaints department, that this is misselling a loan as issue 2).

The months passed and no correspondence was received, by myself regarding refunds of bank charges.

In early January, I decided to take matters further, by writing to XXX XXXXX and also Head Office.

I received an erroneous reply from Barclays customer relations, stating details about the waiver, which is only in place for personal account customers. I advised them of this and the relevant details in the FSA review. I swiftly received a response, with an offer – which was unacceptable. I had reclaimed £1,280.00 (The charges are now nearly £1,500.00 including statutory interest). I advised the department, that the settlement was not acceptable and I would be pursuing it legally.

I then sent off a Letter Before Action on 24/01/2008 and communicated with the customer relations team by phone also. Whilst I explained my circumstances to them and the business – I was advised that the loan was missold, so they would send the complaint regarding the loan higher as well as continuing to investigate the charges.

On 29/01/2008 I received 3 letters from XXXXX XXXXXX – these are as Follows:

• A Default Notice on the Business Loan.
  • A Termination of my accounts notice.
  • A proposal (seems more like a threat) to amalgamate business accounts into my personal account.

Now I can firstly only see this as retaliation, I rang up customer services again and complained yet again.

I have now spoken to the FSA and their representative has voiced the opinion that your business managers actions are in a direct attempt to avoid having to pay the charges back, also an attempt at retaliation which they frown upon, plus to detract from the missold loan.

The reasons for this (In my opinion, as FSA will not state their reasons categorically) are:

1. By moving the business accounts onto my personal account, means my account comes under the FSA waiver – which it wouldn’t as business accounts.

2. The actions taken are a direct attempt at retaliation –termination of account and a default notice.

In addition to this, I was advised to contact the FOS (Financial Ombudsman Service), which I have done and Barclays should be receiving the details of my formal complaint with them, shortly.

Now as to my personal account – you seek to amalgamate with my business account, I receive my tax credits through this account, I have advised HMRC about this and they would provisionally be quite happy to help me in prosecuting Barclays Bank PLC for severe hardship if any of the business accounts are put on my personal account.

I am still adhering to my charges deadline, and will be filing at county court in 7 days for the charges, I will also be looking for any stays to be removed under the hardship grounds and also the grounds that the UTCCR has nothing to do with business accounts.

I will also be reporting Barclays to Nottinghamshire Trading Standards as well as the Office of Fair Trading shortly as I believe you have crossed the line, totally and utterly.

I would like a reply to this letter ASAP, but for the charges I have set specific deadlines. The other matters I will leave with the ombudsman until they are resolved.

Hi Danny,

The letter to Barclays is fine - a bit long but gives the detail nec'y for complaint to FSA.

Was your a/c outside agreed limits when the Closure Notice was issued.

Was the same woman (Branch Bus's Mgr) involved with the closure.

Have you got a parachute a/c ready.

• Haha 1

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi slick,

My account was £972 overdrawn - £472 in unauthorised overdraft as barclays allows a £500 buffer zone on business accounts, rather than the £50 on personal accounts.

My personal account has always been in credit.

I already put a complaint into FOS, they advised me to put a complaint in writing, rather than over the phone to barclays, which is why I wrote the long-winded letter above :)

FOS have also sent out an official complaint to barclays head office, regarding all issues except the charges as I have already started that.

The chap at FOS said that barclays have 8 weeks to deal with this, with me before they will step in, so they will step in, in march if it is not resolved.

The Inland Revenue were very helpful I told them about the amalgamation of accounts and the problems it will cause with child tax credits/ working tax credits. They have seen this happen before and have warned the banks about it according to the advisor I spoke to. Their stance is - if barclays amalgamate the accounts onto my personal account, thereby depriving me and my family of tax credits - they will take action against barclays. So roll on 15th February - when barclays have stated the accounts will be merged.

I do have parachute accounts too, for business and personal.

I have a question though, can I charge barclays for loss of business as a result of a bounced direct debit to my phone company, due to their charges?

Danny

Danny,

" I have a question though, can I charge barclays for loss of business as a result of a bounced direct debit to my phone company, due to their charges? "

I think the chances of you proving satisfactorily that you suffered consequential losses due to their charges causing the bouncing of a DD are zero.

Perhaps others may think differently.

I've certainly not heard of it.

It would be difficult to prove:-

1) the amount of work you lost

2) that any amount so lost was attributable to Bank - I would think it was the phone Co's decision to limit your service and therefore between you and the phone Co.

I'd concentrate on the main claim.;)

I mean stick to the points that you know you can win - ie bank chgs and not consequential loss.

What do you intend to do re Missold Loan, termination of a/c and amalgamation.

So do you intend to issue Court Proceedings after LBA time expires re the chgs reclaim?

Tactics sound good.

Gnite:cool:

Thanks slick :)

I hope I didn't go too overboard, setting the inland revenue on barclays as well as FOS and FSA. I only rang them up to find out how to change my tax credits account, then they told me about the banks being warned about it etc...

Nitey nites anyway, and thanks for being helpful

If HMRC want to have a go at Barclays too, that's up to them.

Keep it as simple and straightforward as you can - easier said than done when Barclays try and pull the rug from under you.;-)

Hi All,

Just had a chat with the area manager as he sent me a letter to give him a call, I was a bit tongue tied - but stuck to my guns, now I have a face to face meeting scheduled for next wednesday eek.

He hasn't had the FOS complaints or my last letter passed through to him yet, plus didn't have my details to hand - which is why the face to face.

He kept stating the loan was not missold as it was to cover my overdraft and other charges being added, but I suppose he would. I kept saying it was missold and quoting what my business manager said at the time.

Has anyone got any helpful links to missold loans topics, I think I am going to need some more ammunition.

I'm not aware of any threads or forum for this topic - try a "search" on the forums.

• 2 months later...