HSBC - Can they close my account with no notice?

emmaf01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last Thursday I went to the cash point and my bank card was swallowed. I knew I wasn't overdrawn, money was due in that day, so I was shocked when I got home to find my bank account had been closed. The money due in that day had been transferred into my savings account.

As I had no letters from the bank saying anything useful like "we will be closing your account on the 8th January", I thought there had been some sort of mistake, but when I rang the bank the next day I was told that my account had been closed because a direct debit bounced in November. It was the third direct debit to bounce in my account history. The notice they gave me was a general "your DD has bounced " letter at the beginning of December, which did not say that they were closing my account, but was the same as the previous standard letter, but I now see they ALL include the phrase that they "reserve the right to close your account". Only after the previous letters they didn't.

Apparantly this is all the notice they need to give- or are they doing this as it is a basic bank account and as the only money going in is benefits, so they can't levy charges for a DD bounce?

So, as they gave us NO notice that the account was being closed, our Carers Allowance had no account to go into, so we got no money yesterday- they say the payment may be returned to the DWP. That's no help to us. As we had no notice, and just had to spend Friday ringing people, hoping to catch them before the money was sent to the old account- God knows whether we'll get any money this week.

So- is this the correct way for a bank to behave? I know its not right, but do I have grounds for complaint? Needless to say, their complaints department don't think so.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Section 7.5 of the Banking Code states;

Closing your account

7.5 Under normal circumstances, we will not close your account without giving you at least 30 days’ notice.

Examples of circumstances which are not ‘normal’ include threatening or abusive behaviour towards staff.

Banking Code Standards Board

So, the answer is no, they should not have done this.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Funnily enough, I thought it was a bit suspect.

Any ideas what I should do? The person at the complaints department said this letter reserving the right to cancel, was all the notice they needed to give me, and it was over a month ago. So what constitutes notice?

At least Nationwide wrote telling me they were closing the account, after I got my charges back.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Was this HSBC by any chance as they did exactly the same to me despite there being nearly 2k in there.

I never took it any further but i should as the first 2 dd to bounce were their fault as they did not transfer my account from Smile in time!

• Haha 1

Hi Emma,

Looking at your signiture I see you have claimed against:

Nationwide- WON!

A&L- WON!

Halifax 1- WON!

Capital One- WON!

Student Loans Company- WON

Is one of the above your bank by any chance.??? if so maybe its a way of them getting rid of you for claiming the charges back.

just a thought.

Just~Me.

Please dont think the picture is me.!!! I couldnt find one of myself so decided to use one of the wife. :):)

No, it was my parachute account at the HSBC- midge61 gets the prize!!!

And as they have never charged me for anything- including the bounced DDs- I think its the fact that they can't charge me (all my income is benefits) which has prompted this. Or maybe after fighting to get all of those charges back, I am cynical about a banks motivation.

Luckily- due to mistrusting banks, I had a spare parachute account.

So, what do I do? Written complaint- who to? Any ideas gratefully received.

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Thanks Tilly.

I'll have a look.

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

• dx100uk changed the title to HSBC - Can they close my account with no notice?